The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Information Please

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
zilloot said:
:( My iggies are appalling - they need newspapers down every night and do several pees and a poo each.  Generally they're okay during the day if they get out every hour.
Lottie will pee on the floor during the day even if the outside door is open (ok only occasionally but it's enough!).  At night Zoomie always has a favourite place to lift his leg and at the moment it's the bed next to his - actually in on top of all the bedding!! Disgusting.

I do reckon Lottie would be fully houstrained if we didn't have Zoomie but they seem to set each other off.  Rainy days are a nightmare!

AND... I thought I could housetrain them being a very experienced dog-owner and very 'into' training methods... and nothing has worked!!!  So be warned.... believe me I've tried every method there is short of putting nappies on them :(

Blimey Fiona, compared to yours, mine are angels! o:)

I have to put paper down at night, and they often use it, though they hardly ever wee or poo during the day :blink: I don't understand how they can sometimes go for ages, i.e. if I have a lay in, then sometimes they can't even hold it for a couple of hours :rant:

Alice's sister is with her owner 24 hours a day, and she is spotless o:) I think that is the only way to have a perfectly clean IG! :- "

Before I got my first Iggies, I thought that, as an experienced dog owner, house training would not be a problem, contrary to what I was told by Iggie people- how wrong I was!! :oops:

I know we seem to be painting a very black picture of the breed, but it's better to tell prospective owners the truth so they know what to expect.

In spite of all their faults, they are an absolutely adorable breed, and I wouldn't be without mine for the world :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

alfie said:
zilloot said:
:( My iggies are appalling - they need newspapers down every night and do several pees and a poo each.  Generally they're okay during the day if they get out every hour.
Lottie will pee on the floor during the day even if the outside door is open (ok only occasionally but it's enough!).  At night Zoomie always has a favourite place to lift his leg and at the moment it's the bed next to his - actually in on top of all the bedding!! Disgusting.

I do reckon Lottie would be fully houstrained if we didn't have Zoomie but they seem to set each other off.  Rainy days are a nightmare!

AND... I thought I could housetrain them being a very experienced dog-owner and very 'into' training methods... and nothing has worked!!!  So be warned.... believe me I've tried every method there is short of putting nappies on them :(

Blimey Fiona, compared to yours, mine are angels! o:)

I have to put paper down at night, and they often use it, though they hardly ever wee or poo during the day :blink: I don't understand how they can sometimes go for ages, i.e. if I have a lay in, then sometimes they can't even hold it for a couple of hours :rant:

Alice's sister is with her owner 24 hours a day, and she is spotless o:) I think that is the only way to have a perfectly clean IG! :- "

Before I got my first Iggies, I thought that, as an experienced dog owner, house training would not be a problem, contrary to what I was told by Iggie people- how wrong I was!! :oops:

I know we seem to be painting a very black picture of the breed, but it's better to tell prospective owners the truth so they know what to expect.

In spite of all their faults, they are an absolutely adorable breed, and I wouldn't be without mine for the world :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

I think thats the thing if you just have one & a bitch & are on the case 24/7 you may make an impression. (w00t)

I remember my first & only at that time IG & she wasn't too bad ...............unless it was raining, then forget it :- "

Males are so much worse on the whole than females & once you get above 2 or 3 .................forget it. :blink:

My iggies were not too difficult to house train, they could not hold on for very long, but I always have a doggie door. OK they did go to the laundry on newspapers when it rained or was too cold at night.

They were mad, the "demented flea" description is perfect :lol: But they did eventually settle own too. Young Whippets can be pretty demanding as well, not to mention destructive.

How each individual iggy will end up depends partially on his natural temperament, but also on how his owner treats/trains him. I always thought that when I get too decrepit to exercise whippets I will get an Iggy again. :)

nina said:
My two Iggies do everything my Whippets do, and always have done, including lure coursing and agility, though there are some lines which are prone to breaking legs.
In spite of what SOME will say (and you know who you are :- " ) any interrogation is only done for the love of the breed, as they are definitely NOT for everyone. :b

They can be very noisy, rushing out into the garden to bark at nothing in particular, while the Whippets just stand there :- " This may not sound like such a problem, but I find it very annoying and difficult to put up with 8)

They are also quite difficult to house train- if one of my Whippets had an accident in the house they would be mortified, whereas the IG's attitude is ' so I peed on the floor- get over it!' :oops:

They are VERY active and attention seeking.

On the plus side, they are very affectionate, funny and clever, and get a lot of attention from other people when they are out- of course they just love meeting and greeting people :thumbsup:

Much as I love them, my 2 are plenty for me- I could live with a houseful of Whippets, but certainly not a houseful of Iggies! My advice to people is always to just get another Whippet :thumbsup:   :wub:

Liz and the Monellis

Couldn't have said it better Liz :thumbsup:

House training is DEFINITELY an issue, as is with a lot of Toy breeds BUT i have to say IG's really push the boundries. :- "

I think reputable breeders who have been in the breed many many years will be honest enough to tell you this & any other pitfalls :thumbsup:

All I have to say now is that I can only speak as we find about our I.G's and they are clean, but they are now 4th generation of our carefully bred lines for soundness and saneness and their house training starts as soon as they can waddle off their heat pad onto newspaper.

They become paper trained very quickly and are never left dirty , soiled paper is removed straight away. If the weather allows they go outside on the grass to play and are praised when they go where required.

We are reputable breeders who tell any one thinking of owning an IG that they are not a breed every one can cope with , to research and to come and visit us and see the dogs living as a family.

We also believe keeping the Iggies caged causes problems with house training.

Any one is welcome to visit and see our dogs .

After over 18 yrs owning and living with this lovely breed we owe it to them to speak as we find.

What we can't understand is if the Italian Greyhound is so bad as it is made out to be why is it that if we attend a Champ show all the same faces remain in the breed.

Lillybet

serephina it seems im then not the only one to have a big dog bully!! this is eddie with mums ex racer, he jumps and beats up deeley but deeley adores him then they will lay in the sun and bask!! :D

11072007063.jpg

i have only had the breed 2 years but i am surprised at how dirty some of them are? i have 4 that live indoors and sleep at night in cages, ( call that 3 coz either blue or eddie will get in my bed :- " ) sophie is not caged and sleeps in my sons room with a whipxgrey and is spotlessly clean? baby alice with attitude is like her dad and gran and will cry to get out for a wee as did tip the whipx ig she too isvery clean and will scream to get outdoors for a wee, those 2 for babies are very very good regardless of breed, eddie will cock his leg out the cage if he has cried and im not quick enough but we have had nothing for a month now he is almost 8 mths.

when asking about the breed i was made aware of the fact that they can be dirty but i tended to think back to my mums yorkies from years agao and how she house broke those and have to say i think its worked, but then again i may just be lucky that all mine are clean?

i wanted this breed for 30 years prior to being owned by one and have to say that although my entire life has been around working whippets and whippet lurchers i am still as hooked as i was the day i first saw them, and aim to be with them for the rest of my life, they are cheeky , push boundaries, clever, sassy, loving giving and generally a very sweet dog and an excellent companion , i feel very privilaged to be involved in them and forever grateful to lillybet for allowing me the honour of having eddie cleo and alice :huggles:

stormydog said:
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO  dont even nearly expect a straight forward answer on here to that question !!  some of the k9 witches have cast spells on potential iggy buyers....never heard from them again  :eek:         my advice...."BUY A FERRET AND SHAVE IT !"  its not worth the "iggy inquistion"   :lol:    :lol:

j o:) hn

:D :D :D :D :D :D THIS IS SO TRUE JOHN :D :D :D :D and the buying of a iggy as well :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I was fortunate when Roux came to live with me, but did not realise just how lucky I was!!!

Roux is very clean, extremely. She has full run of the house and is no problem. she is robust and tough. And now, big sister to a litter born a couple of days ago. Maybe I should put you in touch with the breeder.

Hi,

thanks for all of your advice. It is very much appreciated. :thumbsup: I still dont think I am put of but I will probably wait until my lovely little whippet babies are a bit older before I go and have another nutter in the house. :lol: lso probably need to save up lots of money to buy one as I have been told that they are very expensive. :eek:

Cheers Jaki minnie and poppy

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie you know how big my William is well this is Posh Totty's Blue beating him up :- " at Worcester Lurcher show last year

P1010036.jpg

Ben is not holding Blue on William Blue put himself there Ben just bent down to get his ugly mug in the photo :oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back