The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Injury Protocol

jayp

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi folks, Blake sustained nasty barbed wire gash tonight chasing bunyips. Not having had anything like this for a while just wondered whether there was anything new to treat such as "newskin" and has anyone tried it. Gash is long 2ins, but clean, dont wish to visit vet as mine will not stitch or staple without full anaesthetic.

Last time vet mae it much worse by stapling even though i asked him to leave well alone and just give antibiotic shot!

What do you think? Jan

its hard to say but personally im not a fan of stitching whippets unless it really really bad as the skin tends to rip which as you have found out can make it worse , id keep it clean and see how you go on :thumbsup:

problem is keeping him from licking it. thats when extra damage occurs. the skin is so taught on these types of dogs that when it gets a licking it peels back even more ! id get the vet to stitch it..ive always done it and itll heal 100% quicker than leaving it. youll hear all sorts of ol wives tales...my advice is stitch it..if possible.

john

ps i dont have whippets so maybe their skin might be harder to stitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, its not the stitching i have a problem with. If vet would stitch with a local then ok but as he wont i would prefer not to put dog under full anaesthetic with all its risks on a fairly regular basis for a non life threatening injury.

I have had lots of injuries of this kind and if they are clean, they heal fine but as you rightly say take longer.

I just heard of this newskin stuff which i think is a spray and just wondered if anyone had heard of it or used it. Jan

we used to get skin in a bottle that you dabbed on and it dried out and was like a skin coating.by the by i was in our vets tonight with my cat sam who had a biopsy on thursday and were waiting for the results now.the vet asked me what he was like to give tablets to?i said hes ok as long as i get a piece of tuna on my finger hell lick it off and the tablets with it. :p he then said theyve just brought out this which is an antibiotic injection that lasts for 2 weeks so you dont have to give daily tablets.he thinks its a godsend!cheap too only cost me 8 pound odd. :thumbsup:

Hi Jan,

sorry no advice with the new skin, but hope your boy feeling better soon :luck: :huggles:

whippynit said:
Hi Jan,sorry no advice with the new skin, but hope your boy feeling better soon :luck:   :huggles:

Cheers Lisa, Have decided to ask vet to stitch without anaesthetic as although long open wound is only skin and should be easy to do. Dont hold your breath though they usually look at me as if i am an animal torturer!!!!!!

Blake is fine and no doubt will be back hunting in a day or two.

Might ask if they can glue it like they do human head wounds,betcha thats a nono too! see ya soon Jan

Hi Jan

1.Change your vet.

2. Shave it, use salt water and then use steristrips to close it.

You need to keep a VERY close eye for infection and to check that it is closed tightly by the strips. I have found this succesful but you must be vigilant. Check frequently for warmth in the wound and use salt water to keep it clean several times a day.

If it starts to swell or get hot then visit the vet.

I wish you :luck:

Cathie

dragonfly said:
Hi Jan
1.Change your vet.

You need to keep a VERY close eye for infection and to check that it is closed tightly by the strips. I have found this succesful but you must be vigilant. Check frequently for warmth in the wound and use salt water to keep it clean several times a day.

Cathie

Well done Cathie for posting a whole lot of sense. Vets can be so prone to promoting unwanted stitching, anasthetic & antibiotic that why is it that we are left wondering why our injury prone dogs take so long to heal, whilst vets get just that bit richer? Its good to hear that someone is willing to treat their own animal before the guilt trip that sends us all rushing for the vet kicks in.

dragonfly said:
Hi Jan
1.Change your vet.

Cathie

Cheers Cathie

Hadnt thought of shaving option, will get bic and have a go now, hope i make a better job than i do of moustache (w00t) (w00t)

Always use saltwater on all wounds, even mine

Jan :cheers:

Hi,I've tried using the new skin spray,and it's not much cop at all,it goes all sticky and only sticks whatever hairs around,not really the skin,it also doesn't last that long either,so the wound will keep opening.

I agree with the steristrips,to keep it closed.

I've also used superglue,and it works well,(soldiers used it in Vietnam)Just be Very careful not to get your fingers in the way!!!! :(

It gives it a chance to heal,and worked for my whippet.

Jen

dont know were your dogs wound is but with indys open wound on her elbow we bathed it 4 times a day in salt water and keeped a babays long sleved tshirt on hre so air could serculat but she couldnt lik it. it took 6 weeks to heal as it was to the bone and could not be stiched but the tshirt worked and the vet said it hal much faster with it on

I invested in my own surgical stapler - excellent for barbed wire and stuff. A good wash with salt water or a drop of hibiscrub, squeeze the wound together and pop in a couple of staples - job done. The dogs don't seem to mind :wacko:

I also have a product called PPP Liquid Bandage. It's just like superglue. I have it in my grooming room incase of any minor accidents. It's available from www.christiesdirect.com and cost £13.50 plus P&P

Louise

Louise

Where did you get the stapler. That is a great idea. I want one.

Cathie

dragonfly said:
Hi Jan
1.Change your vet.

Cathie

We do the same, :thumbsup: shave the area, steri strip, we bathe in Hibiscrub.

All sounds a bit faffy to me!! I just take 'em to Vitnary, no shaving, no anaesthetics and sutures ......... I won't have staples put in, and ABs if required.

Don't have to worry about it, dog can get on with its life and no scarring

Last edited by a moderator:
*shudder* staples!! :unsure:

vets for mine I'm afraid :thumbsup:

doris said:
*shudder*  staples!! :unsure:
vets for mine I'm afraid :thumbsup:

Quite so Alison and proper old fashioned sutures! I only ever had one tear stapled and it was such a mess, the staples didn't close the wound properly, they hurt the dog when taken out and left him with a scar ............ never again.

I would only use the stapler myself for very minor incidents - I don't pretend to be a vet by any means. It just saves the trauma of taking the dog to the vets (and a few quid too!)

I must admit, the first time my vet used staples to close a wound, I was horrified. It looked really unsightly and amateurish. BUT, I was amazed at how quicky and cleanly it healed, and left very little scarring at all. Apparently it is more hygenic. When stitiching, the "thread" has to pass through flesh, into the air and then back through flesh again giving bacteria a chance to "get in" to the wound. With staples, there is just one entry point, lessening the chance of infection. (well, that's what I was told, and I think it kinda makes sense)

I was surprised when the vet used staples to close a cut pad on Stan's foot last year, I didn't think they would hold, but it healed beautifully.

Having said that, when my dear Archie was trashed by a Dalmatian, the vet used sutures, and did the most fantastic job. It's hard to believe that it healed so well - you cannot really see a scar unless you know to look for it.

Louise

wounded_soldier_archie_stitches.jpg

louisetope said:
When stitiching, the "thread" has to pass through flesh, into the air and then back through flesh again giving bacteria a chance to "get in" to the wound.

No it doesn't. Not the way my Vet sutures. They use a hypodermic needle to catch the two sides of the wound and then thread the suture through and withdraw the needle. Bacteria can 'get in' to any wound, however it is closed or not. That's what you have ABs for!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back