The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Introducing New Cat(adult) To A Whippet

F.G&Lima

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey folks. As the topic states, I will be adopting a cat (well, not really adopting) it was always my cat to begin with, but the person it stays with has had a new baby, and he(Tetley) seems to be encoutering some behaviour problems with the new baby. Well, the vet suggeted its a territory thing, so i suggested to help out by taking him (temporarily or perm, depending on the situation).

Anyways, as it stands there is already one cat in the household, so I know Lima is fine overall with cats, but is there anything else that should be of concern when introducing a cat to a household which already has a whippet and another cat?

things to be careful about?

thanks all

for good measure, here is lima at his best :p

172833.jpg

There have been a few good threads on this, although I can't find them. Perhaps someone else can, and add them to the FAQs?

I've only introduced an adult cat to a house with a dog once, and it wasn't a whole hearted success. The new cat just moved upstairs, and avoided both the dog and my other cat at any cost. He only came downstairs after the dog died. There were never any problems though, no confrontations, they just had their different spaces and kept to them.

I think it depends on the ages and temperaments of the dogs/cats. Younger cat's are probably more tolerant, older dogs less boisterous and less likely to frighten a nervous cat. If you can find a space where the cat can initially feel safe and secure, start there and then gradually familiarise the two (a crate for the dog can be helpful, the cat can get used to the presence of the dog without feeling threatened).

Also, all our cat's things (beds, food dishes) are well off the ground, as she initially felt nervous about eating or sleeping at ground level when the dog arrived, so this might help too.

Goodluck, and well done for taking him back.

I already had two cats when Oscar and Kobi came but then last year adopted my sisters one year old black cat. She is the only female and I would only suggest keeping a very close eye on them and never leaving them alone till you are 100 per cent sure no harm wll be done.

My two still have the odd chase after them up the garden but on the whole everything is going well and they are all quite good friends, and Kobi does push his luck sometimes but she tells him off (and rightly so)

Oscar still dosnt like her going near his chicken wings (w00t) so Id be very careful when feeding cats & dogs as jealousy still occurs. Maybe you could feed them in seperate rooms till the cats settles in.

Hope they all agree eventually. :luck: :luck: that is a lovely picture of Lima btw. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have two cats and two whippets

the cats sleep upstairs and the dogs are downstairs

On no occasion can these two meet as the cats scratch and the dogs chase :wacko: either inside or out

Feeding is done in shifts

i would never trust the dogs with the cats ever (mine anyway)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back