The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Introducing Puppies.

Jacquie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My bitch had her first litter of pups 5 weeks ago now. My sisters dog and her have always been really close and saw each other everyday. But since the puppies come along, poor Mags doesn't want to come into my house anymore. :( At first Lily would growl at Mag, and did have a go at her a couple of times, but she hasn't done that for ages, but now the tables have turned and everytime Mags sees Lily she growls at her and then Mags runs upstairs and hides under the bed :(

I've tried showing her one of the puppies but she just shakes and starts to dribble.

I have started walking them together to try and build there sister bond again but Maggie still isn't comfortable with the pups. Help, what can I do!! :( It's affecting her performance as well :eek:

Try not to worry we had the same problem with Hari's sister after Hari had a litter,

She wouldnt go outside if the pups were out. She looked petrified of them. If you showed her one on its own she just looked at in disgust and off she went!

Just keep persivering and I am sure in time she will be OK given time and a lot of reasurance. What whippet (hari's sister) adores the two we kept who are now nearly 2. I think some bitches and dogs just dont like lots of little things running about!

When we had our pups last year you only had to mention puppies to the others and they hid .We used to leave a cage in the corner as a bolt hole for the adults all males including the pups father They were that terrified of the pups that even Owen and Bandit who do not really get on had a truce and both cowered in the cage together

The only one happy to play with them was William my greyhound and he thought it was great fun joining their games jumping from chair to chair :oops: although this did get stopped as he was a bit to big to play with them but he did let them sit on his back .Eventually as they started going to new homes the older ones began to get brave and mix with the pups

I have to say my Archie loathes puppies.He eventually accepted his step-brother Fynn but it took a while. Even now he has his hackles up if a puppy is about. I think it will settle when you relax down to your routine with the one you keep. It might take a while, and the relationship may never go back to how it once was. Don't worry though. Give it 12 months and they will all have forgotten the earlier tension and will have formed a new "pack" and slotted in to their own level. I promise it will be OK (and I NEVER thought I would say it. That's 12 months to the day we got Fynn almost :huggles: :thumbsup: )

I am no expert and Indy was our first ever puppy we brought her into a houes of 7 other dogs 5 ex reacing greyhounds a lurcher and a whippet. there were very diffrnt reactions from all the dogs the older bitches seamed realy scared of her the young bitch greyhound was just under 2 loved her but was a bit clumsey with her and all the lads seamed fine with her from the start infact the one we were realy worred about Boris loved her from the minet he saw her. he is a big 30" at the shoulder ex racer that hats smali dogs and can be grummpy with any dog at all.

Indy is now 9 months and they all get on with her realy well but we never pushed it and didnt allow Indy to pester the ones that were scared of her. she was allowed to go never them but only as far as the scared dog would allow it took time but its worth it just be paciant

Heres boris and Indy sharing an Ice cream in the garden

I think because your 2 girls are soooo close that its a dominance thing going on ......... NO normal dog brought up correctly "hates pups" .......as normal behaviour goes pups are sacred in a pack :) ..........Lily was bound to be protective of her babes, and now Maggie feels unsure of her place ..........Keep building the bonds and the girls will be fine :thumbsup: .......and the pup will be excepted soon enough :thumbsup: :luck: :luck:

NO normal dog brought up correctly "hates pups" .......as normal behaviour goes pups are sacred in a pack

Obviously we have an abnormal dog :(

:huggles: We love him any-way And "Hey" who says not liking babies or feeling threatened by them isn't normal ? :- "

beer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that some older dogs just cant be bothered with a daft young puppy and the antics, the biting, the sharp teeth....

Have to say I was amazed, and very impressed at how all of Hannah's dogs all interact with the puppies and vice versa. A real peaceful kingdom.

I know what Vader would be like with all those pups running around here. (w00t)

Strike Whippets said:
I think because your 2 girls are soooo close that its a dominance thing going on ......... NO normal dog brought up correctly "hates pups" .......as normal behaviour goes pups are sacred in a pack  :)   ..........Lily was bound to be protective of her babes, and now Maggie feels unsure of her place ..........Keep building the bonds and the girls will be fine  :thumbsup: .......and the pup will be excepted soon enough  :thumbsup:   :luck:   :luck:
That's not very nice Hannah :( There's nothing wrong in not liking puppies, she's obviously not very maternal, like myself :p

Alfie LOVES puppies, infact we call him a 'puppy pervert' as he gets a bit too excited around them (male or female (w00t) ) :oops: :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
2 of our bitches havent liked anything near there pups for the first 3 weeks, but then they seem to go into normal mode and let anything near them. 1 of our bitches will let the others dogs near her as soon as shes finished whelping, but i like them to have a bit of time on there own with there pups. :luck: With Maggie & Lilly im sure they"ll get back to normal soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice :thumbsup: This weekend will be a real tester for Maggie as we are going to the champs in the caravan, pups as well :p

Jaquie, just one word springs to mind MENTAL, :luck: bad enough having adults in the caravan but pups as well. (w00t)

(w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Well best of luck. You won't have a problem with baby-sitters.............Wish we were going, then I could kidnap Wilf :- "

Paula Roberts said:
Jaquie, just one word springs to mind MENTAL, :luck: bad enough having adults in the caravan but pups as well. (w00t)
I know - I think I might sneak them into Mark & Lesley motorhome when there not looking :- "

Joanna said:
(w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t) Well best of luck. You won't have a problem with baby-sitters.............Wish we were going, then I could kidnap Wilf :- "

That's a shame. See if you had booked in Fynn you could of had some puppy cuddles :wub:

I always wondered if it is the strong distinctive puppy smell that most adult dogs are not comfortable with. As somebody else already suggested it is a nature’s way of protecting puppies from too much attention. However, I had several dogs, both female and male, which have taken very early on active role in bringing up pups.

I just watch my animals and go with the flow, interfering only if I feel there is a danger.

I think you will find that when the pups come out of the nest and become real dogs your dogs will accept them. :) :luck:

Jacquie said:
Joanna said:
(w00t)   (w00t)   (w00t) Well best of luck. You won't have a problem with baby-sitters.............Wish we were going, then I could kidnap Wilf :- "

That's a shame. See if you had booked in Fynn you could of had some puppy cuddles :wub:

Yes but you might not have gone home with 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back