The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Iron Deficiency?

Lisa S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, can dogs be deficient in iron? My boy has recently started to dig (more than normal) quite deep holes in the garden and then put his nose right in and seems to be licking the soil and he also licks iron things. i sometimes give him liver bites as a treat which he absolutley loves but I can't give him too many as he has a tendancy to be a bit of a porker.

Can anyone recommend a supplement for this?

Thanks

Yes they can be iron deficient, when I was a kid our collie became aneamic (sp)

She collapsed on walks an when you looked at the eyes and lips they were noticeably pale...

...as for supplements Thumper was treated by the vet and had some Marmite like substance that she had on a sandwich everyday - she loved it!

I think sa37 and other supplements have iron in them. But if you're worried get to the vet.

Thanks - he does not seem to have any other symptoms or problems other than the seemingly craving for iron.

Yes they can be iron deficient, when I was a kid our collie became aneamic (sp)
She collapsed on walks an when you looked at the eyes and lips they were noticeably pale...

...as for supplements Thumper was treated by the vet and had some Marmite like substance that she had on a sandwich everyday - she loved it!

I think sa37 and other supplements have iron in them. But if you're worried get to the vet.
Yes, I remember that stuff Clair, it came in a tube like toothpaste, and smelt lovely. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though. It was designed for poor eaters and those needing a boost ....................... oh why won't my brain work anymore? :wacko:

Thanks - he does not seem to have any other symptoms or problems other than the seemingly craving for iron.
normal behaviour, i have 5 that do it you would have to be feeding a radicially wrong diet for him to be deficient, 1st sign of lack of iron would be lethargy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back