The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is It Possible.?

gutsey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone i have a nephew that purchased his 1st ever pet a lovely little collie x whippet bitch,had her hearing tested recently,she`s completely deaf,would it be possible to train her for hunting.?

Do you know anyone that works theirs.?

Unfortunately, although it's not uncommon for death dogs to be trained to quite a high level of obedience I can't see how you'd train a death dog to work.

My reasons for saying this are A) how would you call the dog off something it wasn't supposed to chasing B) how would you communicate with the dog if it's on the other side of an hedgerow etc.

These are just two points but are really essential in a working dog. I hope somebody else may be able to suggest ways around these but I doubt it.

If it was my dog I would still enjoy the challenge of training it as a pet and enjoying it's company even though it might not be able to work.

cheers

OBE

oldblueeye said:
Unfortunately, although it's not uncommon for death dogs to be trained to quite a high level of obedience I can't see how you'd train a death dog to work.
My reasons for saying this are A) how would you call the dog off something it wasn't supposed to chasing B) how would you communicate with the dog if it's on the other side of an hedgerow etc.

These are just two points but are really essential in a working dog. I hope somebody else may be able to suggest ways around these but I doubt it.

If it was my dog I would still enjoy the challenge of training it as a pet and enjoying it's company even though it might not be able to work.

cheers

OBE

Alright Steve, DEATH DOGS :lol: how many have you had :lol:

:cheers:

keith

I don't know about hunting but there are a few deaf dogs doing agility so they are obviously trainable. A lot of agility depends on the handlers body language but if this would work with the dog away from the handler I don't know

my m8 had a deaf collie x years ago she was a very good ferreting bitch,could be a good thing for the lad and the pup to do as it is close contact most of the time,just an idear. :thumbsup:

Many thanks everyone i will pass him your views,tried to get him to join but hasn`t yet.

midlanderkeith said:
oldblueeye said:

cheers

OBE

Alright Steve, DEATH DOGS :lol: how many have you had :lol:

:cheers:

keith

OOppss well spotted Keith, not the best word to wrongly spell was it :b .

Cheers

OBE

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back