The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is Kennel Cough Vaccine necessary?

Peter Rose

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our Cockapoo has never had this Vaccine. She is nearly ten and in good health, so as far as I am aware she has never had it. She belonged to my daughter who sadly passed away last year and my Grandsons are looking after her on a temporary basis.

Thanks

Mine never had it, after discussion with my vet, who agrees with Tinytom. However, that is not to be seen as advice from me, as it is an individual decision and there is no right or wrong answer.

My condolences also.

My dog has never had the vaccine. But I wanted to add the point that he did once have kennel cough. It was a fairly straightforward round of antibiotics to clear it - he did, of course, have to be kept away from other dogs.

Sending Condolences.

I haven't given it to my dogs after finding out the Kennel Cough Vaccine only covers 2 out of 15 of the strains. Seems a little pointless to me, when you can't get even half strain coverage.

You also have my condolences. I just wanted to pick up on this point though:

I haven't given it to my dogs after finding out the Kennel Cough Vaccine only covers 2 out of 15 of the strains. Seems a little pointless to me, when you can't get even half strain coverage.

The fact that it only covers 2 out of 15 strains on its own is unimportant - what is important is that it covers the strain(s) your dog is most likely to get. Chances are several of the 15 strains are almost never seen so there would be little to gain by vaccinating against them. Bear in mind that the seasonal flu vaccine only covers one (or a few) out of many strains, and the covid vaccination only covers one (or a few) of innumerable coronavirus strains.

I've seen a similar argument from people deciding not to get the Lepto vaccine (though to be fair there are other factors to consider with Lepto), but what is important is that it covers the most common strains.

You also have my condolences. I just wanted to pick up on this point though:

The fact that it only covers 2 out of 15 strains on its own is unimportant - what is important is that it covers the strain(s) your dog is most likely to get. Chances are several of the 15 strains are almost never seen so there would be little to gain by vaccinating against them. Bear in mind that the seasonal flu vaccine only covers one (or a few) out of many strains, and the covid vaccination only covers one (or a few) of innumerable coronavirus strains.

I've seen a similar argument from people deciding not to get the Lepto vaccine (though to be fair there are other factors to consider with Lepto), but what is important is that it covers the most common strains.

I agree completely with you, we all think differently. After working within a vets practice and having my vet tell me 'Only do get them to have it if you really really need to' changed my mind completely. But then you'd get other vets who would say do it every 6 months.

Mine never had it, after discussion with my vet, who agrees with Tinytom. However, that is not to be seen as advice from me, as it is an individual decision and there is no right or wrong answer.
Thank you.

I think it is only necessary if your dog was going into boarding kennels ...as she is 10 now I wouldn't consider it necessary in my opinion.....
Sorry for your loss ...
Thank you very much.

Our Cockapoo has never had this Vaccine. She is nearly ten and in good health, so as far as I am aware she has never had it. She belonged to my daughter who sadly passed away last year and my Grandsons are looking after her on a temporary basis.

Thanks
I would ask your vet kindly about this and follow their advice. Kennel cough is awful. It is kind of like canine covid! I personally would advise that you do get her vaccinated against kennel cough, but I’m not a vet, and, if I’m right, there may be risks with the vaccine…

Thanks
Some places e.g. boarding kennels and home boarders, doggy day cares may require dogs to have the vaccine to use their services. Mine have had the vaccine each year but have also had kennel cough as, like the human flu vaccine, there will always be strains that aren't covered.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back