The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is my girl just vocal or nervous around other dogs?

deka

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Shes 2 in a few weeks always been friendly only nervous around certain breeds i.e German Shepherds in part due to their size and dogs with loud breathing like pugs.

More and more in past few months she is so random when on a walk and can randomly see a dog stare for a second then bark and pull doesn't seem to be in an agressive way she may just want to play but it's hard to tell.

Other dogs can be near her bark at her and pull their walker towards she just wags her tail at them.

I know she can be nervous around big breeds as she turns her back to them and stiffens her body.

I would assume that there is some level of anxiety, and try to increase distance from the other dog rather than let them get closer.

Thanks, forgot to say she seems more likely to do it with dogs on other side of the road, it's strange though as dogs she can bark at could be sitting down peacefully even wagging their tails and she barks at them, yet dogs that bark at her she wags her tail at and acts like it''s play time.

No, that's not strange at all. When she barks at the dogs on the other side of the street or the ones with calm body language, it's probably because they are far enough away, or relaxed enough to be less threatening, so she has the courage to shout at them to stay away. When she wags her tail at the dogs that bark at her, she probably isn't brave enough to bark at them and is offering the wagging tail as an appeasement gesture. You've maybe heard of the fight or flight stress response. There's also 'freeze' like a rabbit in the headlamps and 'flirt' which is what this might be; showing she isn't a threat to the other animal by being silly and goofy.

No, that's not strange at all. When she barks at the dogs on the other side of the street or the ones with calm body language, it's probably because they are far enough away, or relaxed enough to be less threatening, so she has the courage to shout at them to stay away. When she wags her tail at the dogs that bark at her, she probably isn't brave enough to bark at them and is offering the wagging tail as an appeasement gesture.
Happy birthday, Timber.

Didn't think of that, it's just when shes walking past other dogs her body language shows no stiffness and seems very loose and she even wants to follow them.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back