The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Is my puppy in danger?

CassieKeith123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I’ve recently got a puppy who in true puppy style, chews up the entire house.

I’m new to the dog/puppy thing, so I was researching how’s best to help train them.

He’s particularly interested in power cables (mainly my straighteners and phone cable).

I came across a video which says how dangerous it is to leave things (chargers) plugged in when pets are at home on their own.

I’m now finding myself unplugging everything in our house!

How anybody got any tips on how to stop pups chewing cables? And should I be unplugging everything in the house every time I leave?

Thanks for the help!

It would be easier to confine your puppy until he is past the chewing stage, either using a crate or a playpen.

Yes, easier to use a room that is reasonably safe, like the kitchen. Put everything out of reach and remember that dogs can jump. toys and rotate them to maintain their interest for you puppy.

Try not to get involved in chastising your puppy for chewing as this can lead them to enjoy the attention they are getting and, therefore, to do it more. It is also wrong to chastise when you come home and find things chewed. Dogs don't understand "the past", they just live in the present. If you come home and chastise your puppy you will make him anxious.

You might like to find a copy of "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey.

I’ve recently got a puppy who in true puppy style, chews up the entire house.

I’m new to the dog/puppy thing, so I was researching how’s best to help train them.

He’s particularly interested in power cables (mainly my straighteners and phone cable).

I came across a video which says how dangerous it is to leave things (chargers) plugged in when pets are at home on their own.

I’m now finding myself unplugging everything in our house!

How anybody got any tips on how to stop pups chewing cables? And should I be unplugging everything in the house every time I leave?

Thanks for the help!
As other have already said the simplest, safest option it to put him safely in a cage / crate and not let him roam at leisure in the house.

Out of interest though what breed is the puppy?

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your great advice.

He is now limited to only two rooms in the house if we ever leave him (which is never for very long anyway). He has a great selection of chew toys as well.

He has calmed down considerably, even in this short space of time.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back