The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Itchiness and allergies

He's 8 now , last October so it's so wierd his whole life nothing and then full blown allergy... Madness. He's slowly getting better... As the immune therapy injections hopefully will help kick his immune system into accepting the allergy..vaccine
Yes but atm i am going to be sticking with the vets treatment and then see what happens as it's all so expensive atm luckily insurance is paying.

How wierd ... Isn't it how things happen... Oh well we and our dogs soldier on .. i just hope these injections work for Blue .. finger crossed

Fingers crossed, indeed. Please let the Forum know as to his progress. I know it’s gradual but by nature we’re patient.

Yes of course will do. Thanks your kind words. Have a good day. Just wish i could take the allergy from him and have it myself!!

Has anyone had any luck with more natural allergy solutions? Rusty was put on Apoquel for a week (half a tablet AM, half a tablet PM) which did the trick. After stopping it, a day or so later he started scratching/nibbling again. He doesn't do it all day long, only when he seems to be sitting around indoors. Out on a walk I don't think he's done it at all. When he sleeps, he's OK, too (he doesn't wake up to scratch himself). To give him some relief we've popped him back on Apoquel but we only have a week's supply. He has no visible marks or swellings where he scratches himself.

I've done some searching online, as you do, and colostrum has come up as mentioned here in this thread. I;ve also searched the forum, too. This is typical of my search results, but it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff (ahem), so I'm interested in opinions please.

rusty3.jpg

Tom had half a piriton a day through the summer months they helped him ...

Last edited:
Bumping/nudging the thread up the ”new posts” list in case people have missed it, forgotten to answer, or thought of something helpful since they last read it.

Oh thank you, I had no idea what "Bump" was all about. Saved me asking:rolleyes:
I just wish people would just say what they mean:confused:

Bumping a thread is as almost as old as the internet itself and common practice. But if it's not the practice here, I will refrain. It's the second time I've recently been told my form of words doesn't conform to the King's English, but this is an online forum after all! ;)

So (;););)), @JoanneF, yes I've been looking at colostrum online, and it's a minefield. Bovine, liquid, powdered, and so on. Many different manufacturers. I was hoping for some insight from anyone who might have used this. I'll keep looking, maybe ask the vet next time I'm passing.

@Tinytom - thanks for this. Our vet did say we could use a human alternative to Apoquel as long as it had a particular ingredient (his notes are downstairs at the moment and I can't recall what it was). This might be the way we go :)

I knew what you meant when you said Bump :p
Hope you find something that works longterm for Rusty;)

Bumping a thread is as almost as old as the internet itself and common practice. But if it's not the practice here, I will refrain. It's the second time I've recently been told my form of words doesn't conform to the King's English, but this is an online forum after all! ;)

So (;););)), @JoanneF, yes I've been looking at colostrum online, and it's a minefield. Bovine, liquid, powdered, and so on. Many different manufacturers. I was hoping for some insight from anyone who might have used this. I'll keep looking, maybe ask the vet next time I'm passing.

@Tinytom - thanks for this. Our vet did say we could use a human alternative to Apoquel as long as it had a particular ingredient (his notes are downstairs at the moment and I can't recall what it was). This might be the way we go :)
Would be interested to know the ‘particular ingredient’ to alleviate itchiness. Although we have a sufficient apoquel supply for this year (and possibly next) an effective substitute at a less rip off price would be welcome.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back