The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Jr Whippet Rescue

Den

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've been a member for some years now and can't understand why they don't have a website. I was speaking to Linda Jones a few weeks ago and she said it had been discussed at their meetings but it had been decided that one wasn't needed. I disagree, I think it would be a great medium for drumming up much needed funds and for viewing their wide range of whippet goodies also for prospective adopters to view dogs needing new homes. Linda did agree a website could prove helpful for rehoming the 'golden oldies' too. Are there any other members of J.R on K.9 and if so do you agree with me? Maybe together we could try to persuade them get to online!

im not a member but i think a website would be a great idea. there are so many people who want to rehome a whippet but apart from k9 there does'nt seem to be much info on who/what and where.

i'm a member, and yes i agree :thumbsup: i often thought why they have not got a website.

michelle said:
im not a member but i think a website would be a great idea. there are so many people who want to rehome a whippet but apart from k9 there does'nt seem to be much info on who/what and where.
I agree! When I decided a whippet was the dog for me, JR was my first google search and I was amazed that they didn't have a site. They could really do with something to raise their profile and thus their funds :thumbsup:

I too, am a member and support the Kent branch as much as I can. Twiggy was a foster dogs from them -now adopted by me after her owner couldn't have her back.

I do agree a web-site would be worth the money needed to set it up and would repay them over and over both in sales and finding responsible owners.

Janet (with Polly and Twiggy)

I'm also a member. I was involved with local mixed breed rescue for several years, someone did a website for us and it increased the number of very good homes offered immediately. I was asked by J. R. to pick a whippet bitch up from my local vets a few weeks ago - I cried, she was 1 1/2 - 2 years old and weighed 12 ibs (less than 6 kilos), had scars from working and her nails were worn down so far they were bleeding, not from exercise, it looked as though she had been scratching for days to get out of wherever she had been held.. The little love soon found a home - with a vet! She weighed 12 kilos within weeks. She had just been starved. The work J. R. do is wonderful and a website could only be an asset to them. Could anyone with the ability to build and run a website contact them and make the offer? (It's all I can do to get on a website!!!)

jools said:
Could anyone with the ability to build and run a website contact them and make the offer?
I think the problem is finding someone involved enough/techy enough to keep it constantly updated. This is the problem with most websites, whether high or low budget. I could design them a website but couldn't guarantee to always be available to update it as my health is a bit dodgy. If someone could specify what they needed, how often it would need updating etc I could look into it.

Chinese Crested rescue just has a few pages, with pics of dogs previously rehomed, and a news page but no pics of dogs actually waiting for homes, just a phone/email contact for people to find out more. This might be a more practical model to follow than the sort of website with pictures of available dogs, allowing time for potential owners to be vetted and matched up with dogs that are suitable for their circumstances. It would be a lot simpler to update as well.

Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
moriarte said:
jools said:
Could anyone with the ability to build and run a website contact them and make the offer?
I think the problem is finding someone involved enough/techy enough to keep it constantly updated. This is the problem with most websites, whether high or low budget. I could design them a website but couldn't guarantee to always be available to update it as my health is a bit dodgy. If someone could specify what they needed, how often it would need updating etc I could look into it.

Chinese Crested rescue just has a few pages, with pics of dogs previously rehomed, and a news page but no pics of dogs actually waiting for homes, just a phone/email contact for people to find out more. This might be a more practical model to follow than the sort of website with pictures of available dogs, allowing time for potential owners to be vetted and matched up with dogs that are suitable for their circumstances. It would be a lot simpler to update as well.

Elizabeth

You can do a lot more than I could Elizabeth. Perhaps if the topic runs over the next few days, then we can wait and see if K9 have any technical wizards!! Then of course, it's up to J. R. Jools

I'm a member and yes I think they could do with a website too.

It would be nice to be able to see what they have and order things on-line.

I don't know if they have trouble finding homes for the dogs though - we've been waiting 2 years for a whippet from them.....and I have rang to say we were still waiting a few times. Perhaps we are not a suitable home....

I'm also a member,& yes,i was surprised to find they didn't have a website & I think they would benefit a great deal for having one.

I know a certain on here who,i'm sure would do it for them,wouldn't you Hilary??? :* ;) :thumbsup:

I'm going to write to them as we all seem to be in favour of a website :thumbsup:

Rae said:
I'm a member and yes I think they could do with a website too.

It would be nice to be able to see what they have and order things on-line.

I don't know if they have trouble finding homes for the dogs though - we've been waiting 2 years for a whippet from them.....and I have rang to say we were still waiting a few times. Perhaps we are not a suitable home....

[/quote

Not a suitable home :eek: no way

Agree they need a website. How do you become a member?

I guess they'd need to think about exactly WHY they need the website. It sounds as if they have more waiting homes than rescued whippets at the moment, so it might be more useful as a resource for raising profile, getting donations and encouraging new members to join. It would have some impact on the kind of website that would be appropriate too; one that can be updated quickly and easily by people with no html skills is possible but takes rather more effort/programming/time to set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
:)) I haven't paid a membership fee, but I am looking after a golden oldie who came into rescue on 23rd April within my local area. I think a website would be a good idea as the more information that is available out in the big wide world of the internet can only be a good thing.

Check out Scooby whippet looking for a new home at this rescue centre-

www.sheyagreyhoundrescue.com

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I may know an award winning web designer i could bribe.... :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back