The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Jump Up Greeting

martigo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I have two whippets one male who is 6 and a female who is 12mths old.

When we come home into the house the young one jumps up and has scratched us all quite heavily, this seems to be getting worse. :rant: We have tried the ignoring and turning round technique to no avail. My problem is what is the best way to stop this.

Any suggestions gratefully received. She is a bit of a live wire where

as the 'old boy' is mr super laid back!. 8)

martigo said:
Hi I have two  whippets one male who is 6 and a female who is 12mths old.When we come home into the house the young one jumps up and has scratched us all quite heavily, this seems to be getting worse.  :rant: We have tried the ignoring and turning round technique to no avail. My problem is what is the best way to stop this.

Any suggestions gratefully received. She is a bit of a live wire where

as the 'old boy' is mr super laid back!. 8)

Hi Martigo.

My 2 are bothers and nearly 2yrs old and they still do it now... It seems to there way of saying hello, but is a bit annoying when they do it to visitors :b

This is know as EGD (excessive greeting disorder!) A known Whippet trait. Mine all like to leap and kiss noses (w00t) :lol:

Try walking out of the room every time she jumps up - return 30-60 seconds later and leave again immediately when she jumps, repeat ad nauseum!

Also clicker training is helpful to reinforce 'all four paws on the ground' behaviour and greetings!

Do you use a crate? I only ask because I've found it fantastic for this. I read on K9 when I first joined, before I even brought my pup home, about whippet folk on here who only let their whippets out of the crate once they were calm and quiet.

I trained Josie very early on that she would be free as soon as she was calm. Nowadays she just waits quietly until I'm in the house and have put bags of shopping down, then I sit down by the crate and let her out and spend a good five minutes fussing and talking and playing and stroking her - she knows that the reward is worth the wait, and the self-control :wub:

Probably not a particularly useful tip if you don't do crating though! :b

Our could never even be bothered to get up to greet us when he was a puppy! When he did he had to do about 5 mins of stretches first :wacko: But visitors, esp. male ones, up at 90mph with paws/claws straight in the goolies :wacko: At least you find out who your real friends are :lol:

Withdrawing attention certainly helped with the face/mouth licking, he stopped almost immediately although he remembers the people who used to let him lick their faces and STILL goes mad with excitement when he meets them!

Elizabeth

Oh dear, It is a whippety thing and sadly I don't think tthey just grow out of it :( Archie just goes mental even if you leave the house for 3 minutes and return, seems like little Fynn is going the same way. Stabby paws are awful.....I have no advice, I don't crate and a little part of me likes my doggy pals being so pleased to see me, even if it isn't very polite :oops:

I can see exactly where you're coming from on that, Jo :D it is lovely to see how much you mean to them.

Josie is always thrilled to see me, it's an absolute delight to see how she quivers and wiggles, and we have such a lovely cuddle.

But she greets me without getting manic and on my terms. Not hers (which would be overly manic).

We had a very bad experience when we'd not had her long. A friend came to stay who is an experienced dog handler and trainer. He greeted her properly, getting down to her level etc... and whoops, she was so excited she nearly clawed his eye. The scratch was quite deep and about 1/2" from his eye :( he was quietly disgusted and told us in no uncertain terms that we had to control that sort of behaviour or she could do quite a bit of damage in her innocent enthusiasm. He asked how we'd feel if that had happened to a child (ours, or a visitor, or someone we met out in public). And I have to say he's right, because not only would I feel bad, but I've seen the way some over-protective mothers react if a dog just sniffs their child, so dread to think of all the "dangerous dogs act" hysteria which would fall on me if - god forbid - Josie actually hurt their little-darling-who-must-not-touch-a-dog-until-they're-older :wacko:

Fair put the proverbial wind up me, I can tell you :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
~Helen~ said:
I can see exactly where you're coming from on that, Jo :D it is lovely to see how much you mean to them.
Josie is always thrilled to see me, it's an absolute delight to see how she quivers and wiggles, and we have such a lovely cuddle.

But she greets me without getting manic and on my terms. Not hers (which would be overly manic).

We had a very bad experience when we'd not had her long. A friend came to stay who is an experienced dog handler and trainer. He greeted her properly, getting down to her level etc... and whoops, she was so excited she nearly clawed his eye. The scratch was quite deep and about 1/2" from his eye :( he was quietly disgusted and told us in no uncertain terms that we had to control that sort of behaviour or she could do quite a bit of damage in her innocent enthusiasm. He asked how we'd feel if that had happened to a child (ours, or a visitor, or someone we met out in public). And I have to say he's right, because not only would I feel bad, but I've seen the way some over-protective mothers react if a dog just sniffs their child, so dread to think of all the "dangerous dogs act" hysteria which would fall on me if - god forbid - Josie actually hurt their little-darling-who-must-not-touch-a-dog-until-they're-older :wacko:

Fair put the proverbial wind up me, I can tell you :eek:

I hope you told your 'dog trainer' friend to get a life Helen!! LOL

If people insist on coming to Whippet Households then they must expect to wear them for about 5 minutes!!

Back to the question though. Some of mine jump up and some don't, yet they are all brought up the same. Just their different characters. Django was awful when we first had (well, not much better now come to think of it!) and would walk round the room on his hindlegs with his front paws on anything he could reach. He has obviously NEVER been told to get off or down or anything. So every time he does it I just put his feet on the floor and tell him "Off!". He is slowly getting the message but I expect he will do it til the day he dies. When he jumps to greet me I make sure I catch his legs and hug him to me and then do the same once he has had a hug. Luckily he tends to only do it to people he knows well and not strangers.

Mmm thanx for all the replies . I know its is affection :huggles:

and we are kinda getting used to it, :b but we will try a few things out.

thanx again :thumbsup:

I hope you told your 'dog trainer' friend to get a life Helen!! LOL

If people insist on coming to Whippet Households then they must expect to wear them for about 5 minutes!!

Hehehehee, I just laughed when I read that line, that's so funny, cos Tascha turns herself inside out trying to get to peoples noses, and give them washes and puppy kisses. Specially my mum. I've had to start putting her in her crate for 5 mins to calm her down, then she can come out again, but it's awful, cos the looks of betrayal she gives me are so hard to bear. You'd think I'd beat her soundly and not fed her for a week the way she looks at me.

Sorry I've not been much help with suggestions, but I am finding the crate method is working slightly, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Good luck

Andrea x

dessie said:

This made me hoot too!! :lol: :lol: We stopped the Milly-lab jumping up by raising our knee just as her feet left the ground - she ended up with a knee in her chest so stopped it. Now she just wiggles like mad. The whippies can't seem to help themselves with people they know and adore. I just tell my Mum to hang on to something solid.

BTW the knee thing is NOT a kick - they just find it in their way when they try to reach your face, but my legs still look like a blue dalmation from 'claw kisses' :p

Before Sid, I had an IG and she was so nervous- would go and hide when we had visitors. Now I am thinking of giving our friends hard-hats when they visit as Sid is completely the opposite. Yes he goes mental when we come in - jumping up - kisses all over - BUT I LOVE IT - I was between dogs for 9 months and it was awful coming home with nobody to greet you - so everytime Sid nearly blacks my eye or head-buts me I relish it.

I know I should be teaching him "good manners" but like I said the greeting I get is priceless (w00t)

andrea31 said:
Hehehehee, I just laughed when I read that line, that's so funny, cos Tascha turns herself inside out trying to get to peoples noses,

Hehehehee, and that mad me laugh Andrea when I read your line, because Tesa use to try and go straight up noses as well :lol:

ILoveKettleChips said:
Try walking out of the room every time she jumps up - return 30-60 seconds later and leave again immediately when she jumps, repeat ad nauseum!
Also clicker training is helpful to reinforce 'all four paws on the ground' behaviour and greetings!

Agree with ILKC Martigo. We have a similar situation with Max and Beau. Max although excited to see us, know his manners. Beau however is having to learn not to knock us off our feet. As ILKC said we just kept ignoring the bad behavior the only way he gets a greeting is if he parks his bum on the floor. He is so funny because the penny is finally dropping and he dosen't he tries to do a little half jump before a sit. Just kept at it, it will work.

Tesa said:
andrea31 said:
Hehehehee, I just laughed when I read that line, that's so funny, cos Tascha turns herself inside out trying to get to peoples noses,

Hehehehee, and that mad me laugh Andrea when I read your line, because Tesa use to try and go straight up noses as well :lol:

Yes, straight up their noses with her tongue :x :x And if she can't get her tongue up there, then she's just all for giving it a good nibble :lol: (w00t)

lol

our boy basil gets ecstatic when you come in the room, even if you only left to go to the toilet. . . . has to stand up you (doesnt jump sort of sstttrrreeetttches gently up you head to one side looking at you with lurve in his eyes. . . . .

flora the geryhound just tries an climbs up but shes not really built for it and only get s to aout knee height with weirdly bent legs

LOL It isn't just mine then that do the racing round the room ,jumping on my shoulders and dragging chunks out of my legs :- " :- " But it's nice to come home :wub: :wub:

Rottie_007 said:
lol
has to stand up you (doesnt jump sort of sstttrrreeetttches gently up you head to one side looking at you with lurve in his eyes. . . . .

Aw!! Yes, Josie does that. I call it her "Princess Diana look" :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back