The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Jumping at other dogs

CMJ

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all

My 6 month old Yorkshire Terrier/Jack Russell pup is the sweetest boy ever and super soft but gets so excited when he sees other dogs (and humans but mainly dogs) . He's always on lead and I keep him super close but if a dog comes up to him he will jump up at it in excitement and I'm worried about him getting bitten.

I took him to puppy class after his injections back in October (he was actually nervous of dogs then) and intended to do the follow on course but it was cancelled due to Covid/restrictions. I practice loose lead walking with him everyday and it can go really well but everything goes out the window when he sees another dog. He is not interested in me or treats at all and just pulls on the lead desperate to get to the dog. It seems to be getting worse at time goes on.

He is really tiny (only 2.4kg) and I worry about him getting hurt with his over enthusiasm. We practice recall on a long line but I don't feel I could ever let him off the lead, as if he saw another dog he'd be off and also it wouldn't be fair to other dogs to have him jumping up at them.

The only dogs we know are puppies, no calmer older dogs that he could spend time with (and it's hard anyway due to the restrictions)

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm hoping to get back to puppy classes as soon as things ease. :)

I'm trying to add a picture but can't quite work out how to do it at the moment as it says my file is too big. I'll keep trying

Last edited:
20210128_224942 (1).jpg
Done :)

He is not interested in me or treats at all

I have some thoughts but before I reply it would be helpful to know if this ^^^ is all the time, or just when there are other dogs around?

I would say though, you have him on a lead so maybe it would help to be firmer with other people about keeping their dogs away.

If it's getting worse I would suggest looking closely at how you are responding when you see another dog coming. Often we become nervous and our dogs take their cues from us, no matter how subtle we think we're being. The slightest tension is transmitted to the dog who then reacts more, and so the cycle continues. Victoria Stillwell has a ton of really good examples of how to break reactive behaviour.

You are taller and can see further. When you spot an approaching dog, move yours to the side furthest from that dog, and walk to a distance from which your pup (what a beauty!) won't react. Don't say anything, don't do anything else, don't ask for a 'sit' just increase the distance until your pup is calm. You can retrace your steps or go to the side. Then stop and allow your pup to watch the other dog - if he reacts he's still too close. As the dog goes past (assuming it too is on a lead) reward your dog with whatever he finds rewarding. Thus his interest in the dog is allowed, but not diving at it because he is sufficiently far away for that not to be worthwhile.
Practice moving away when there is no other dog too. Then pup learns the art and you become smooth at the move-away.

This isn't going to disrupt his social life because we need dogs to be dog-neutral and ignore other dogs except for specific ones you have vetted and know will behave. Yours really doesn't need to meet and play with dogs, so you are not going to do him harm. He will grow out of this if you ensure his excitement levels are kept low by putting space between yourself and other dogs.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back