The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Keeping clean between baths

JJM

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

We have our first puppy on the way and wanted to get some advice on keeping a dog looking and smelling clean between baths.

Would really appreciate your tips and product recommendations.

Welcome to the forum - what breed/type is your pup?

Dogs don't need 'products' - in between baths, regular grooming is quite enough (unless they have a penchant for rolling in fox poo).

In fact most dogs don't need baths at all - mine never had one in his life unless you count the occasional wallow in ponds. I'm not sure there's a single species apart from humans and some dogs that gets regurlarly bathed, and all the rest manage very well!

Hi and welcome from me too:)
I agree, bathing may occasionally be necessary, or just a wash down with the shower if they've been in the sea for example or have been wallowing in the mud. But even my old Yorkie, who had a fairly long coat at times, didn't get bathed, I did however regularly brush her. You also have to remember how super sensitive a dogs nose is, so using scented products on them may well disturb them!
I actually quite like the smell of dog, it's kinda comforting!:rolleyes::D

Our lot never have nice smelly baths, it is not good for their skin. However, in the winter when we are out enjoying our winter sports with the dogs they can finish a day very dirty indeed! They all enjoy a nice warm shower to clean their filthy bodies and feet but never with any shampoos at all. They are showered with just clean water until there is no more dirt to wash out. They do not smell and their skins do not get scurfy, none of their natural oils are washed out and their coats all look good.
Our dogs and puppies are not toys that children like to frequently bath, and fed an appropriate quality food they should not smell very doggie either.

Let us know about your puppy that you are getting. I am petty sure that we would all like to hear about him/her. And when you have time some pictures too.

I agree with the above - the only exception for me was when our rescue dog Rusty arrived, he totally stank! It was really bad, so he had a bath a day or two after settling in (this was probably too early but he stank to high heaven and everything he sat or lay on stank, too). I don't expect to give him another bath, unless he ends up rolling in something unpleasant.

This was the same for Jimmy, our previous rescue dog. He had a bath soon after arrival for the same reason as above, I think he may have had one other bath that I can recall during his 6 and a half years with us, but I don't remember why. He did have a session with a mobile groomer which is his earlier time with us, I wouldn't want to repeat that again (we did this out of ignorance but with the best intentions).

I'm with @Flobo - I really like the natural dog smell fur/skin smell, there is something so comforting and relaxing about it. I've noticed they are subtly different too - Rusty smells slightly different from Jimmy, although I do like both fragrances! Now if I could only bottle it, looks like I might have some captive customers on here!

I remember a few years ago we were having a meal at one of our favorite pubs when a lovely Labrador walked past , his owners stopped and spoke as they walked past, we had one of ours sitting under the table with us quietly, and the stench that came from their dog was absolutely foul, I dread to think what their house smelt like. The poor dog wanted to be friendly with us but I could not touch him:eek: so I just said a few gentle words.
I do often wonder if our house smells to other people that we do not notice. We leave doors and windows open as much as possible in the summer to give the place a good airing. (I don't think that they smell) I hope not:rolleyes:

My favorite animal smell is pony/horse. A live outside one is better than stabled. Mmmmm, simply the best !

Last edited:
Hello and welcome!

It's good that you are asking these things and I hope you haven't been too surprised at the answers. I'm another who never bathed any of my dogs, and only spot-washed the area if they rolled in something vile (welcome to dog ownership!!). Putting a scented product on a dog is just as awful to them as whatever they have rolled in is to us. Mostly they only need brushing and how often depends on the coat. Some have complex coat need which means either you take puppy to a groomer (ask the groomer to avoid putting scented products on as well, because some do) or you learn to groom yourself. What sort of puppy are you getting, to give us some idea of the coat?

Excuseme, that poor labrador obviously was very ill. And yes - horse smell is truly gorgeous. I miss it.

My Whippet amazed me often when she raced, (in her younger days), every now and again it was muddy so she finished up with quite a lot of mud on her. I simply put her in the car, (on the back seat that was covered), by the time we got home after about 1 1/2 hour drive she got out clean, it had just dropped off her when it dried so all I had to do was shake the seat cover and all was well. We did have to bath the first Shelti we had, she was our first dog and was a rescue from a very bad situation my wife stood it for a couple of days before it was bath time. Incidentally if any one wants a very hard job its to get a Shelti's coat actually wet throughout it took us ages. She never needed or had another bath for the eight years she was with us.

Just adding my agreement to the 'no baths' view - and I trained as a dog groomer! I never bath the dogs that live with me - currently both have thick double coats - though I do groom them 3 or even 4 times a week at the moment to keep an eye out for grass seeds, ticks etc. If they get muddy, I find it easier to wipe down the walls than to go to all the hassle of washing a wet dog, so that's generally what I do, beyond an occasional warm shower spray if they are cold as well as muddy.

To me, most dogs smell beautiful anyway, particularly young dogs, sort of sweet and nutty, especially their ears and feet. I would certainly never want a dog to smell of anything but dogginess.

I think once puppy arrives, you won't be worried at all about bathing him, but just enjoying his company.

Thanks for all the replies. We’ve got a 9 week old Cockapoo and he’s settling in well. The most we’ve done is gently brush him since he has quite a curly coat, he was a bit afraid of the brush initially but we’ve managed to get him used to it.

It’s been a busy first week but it’s great fun and he’s lovely. This is coming from someone who was very unsure about getting a dog.

Once he is more used to being brushed, please do make sure you get the brush right through his coat. If you are only getting the surface, he could get matted and that would be uncomfortable because the hair would pull on his skin when he moves. A pin type brush is usually quite good for doodle coats.

As mentioned by @JoanneF F, a brush only covers the surface and does not get down to the base of the coat. The suggestion of a pin type brush would be much better or even a coarse pin type comb that will reach to the base of the coat and prevent any mats from starting. The more used to a firm combing/brushing your puppy has will ease the discomfort of nasty and sometimes painful mats.
A bristled brush is quiet useless.
Have fun with your puppy:)
Oh by the way expect teething to start at around 16 weeks !!

Just to add about the brushing - you don't need to brush the whole pup in one go. If you make a few strokes, stop before pup gets fidgety, then reward and do something else with him, it means the process is much better tolerated. Same with trimming nails - one or two at a time, reward, do something else.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back