The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Keeping Cool At Shows....

whippynit

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
With it being sooooooo hot recently, :sweating: just wondered if any of you have any secret tips on how to help keep the hounds cool and comfortable as poss at shows ( or when out and about in general really)?

Obviously try to keep in the shade, offer water, etc but just wondered if anyone had any more 'different' methods or hints? :)

Putting a wet towel over your dogs will keep them refreshed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think I've seen some reflective coats advertised on the Internet. Sorry, cannot supply a link, and don't know how well they work.

I have reflective crate covers from www.doghealth.co.uk and reflective coats from venture who's telephone number is 01264 781144.

Both are excellent products and REALLY keep the dogs cool.

TC said:
I have reflective crate covers from www.doghealth.co.uk and reflective coats from venture who's telephone number is 01264 781144.
Both are excellent products and REALLY keep the dogs cool.

I have the same, and when we were at Paignton last year where it was close to 100F my girls were some of the coolest (literally) ones there. They were in their reflective crate most of the time, but even when they were out they were wearing their reflective coats and not even remotely panting. I kept the coats with me while we were in the ring.

Also what was really helpful from a judging standpoint was they had a wet towel on the table for the dogs to stand on, which kept the dogs and their paws cool while being gone over. That was a GREAT idea and I think more judges/stewards etc should take that one on board.

Wendy

ps - I used to use the wet towelling coats, and while they do work, you have to constantly keep refreshing the water or they actually end up keeping the heat in, and the reflective coats actually do work better than the towels.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for me I use a large umbrella to keep cooler and out of the sun when I remember to bring it. I have about 5 now because I keep forgetting to bring them and then buy more.

Wendy

Does anyone have a link for where you can buy the reflective coats?

bardmand said:

Actually , that can do more harm than good , as the body reacts against the wet of the towel and makes the body warmer , Dogs dont sweat as we do , they sweat through their feet . . so keep the feet cool as pos , and obviously DONT stand the dog too long in the sun :- "

Jill said:
Does anyone have a link for where you can buy the reflective coats?
countrymun.com (or might be .co.uk) has some. Tracy gave the phone number for Venture coats. They don't have a website, but will make theirs from measurements. They are the ones that sell coats at a lot of the whippet club shows etc...

You can find an order form and more information on them on the NWA site.

Wendy

Last year I bought some body coolers, unfortunately I cant remember where from, try Google. They were FAB! You just soak them in water and they sort of swell up (a bit like wet nappies but not so smelly) and stay cold for days!!

The dogs love to lie on them, they are great in cages in fact I am seriously thinking of getting one for me, sharing a bed with five whippets and a husband in the summer gets a bit hot

suvi said:
Last year I bought some body coolers, unfortunately I cant remember where from, try Google.  They were FAB!  You just soak them in water and they sort of swell up (a bit like wet nappies but not so smelly) and stay cold for days!!
The dogs love to lie on them, they are great in cages in fact I am seriously thinking of getting one for me, sharing a bed with five whippets  and a husband in the summer gets a bit hot

HI

JUST BEEN SURFING AND FOUND THAT HUB INTERNATIONAL SELL THEM ON THERE WEBSITE IN VARIOUS SIZES .....

Body Cooler Pet Mat

The Pet Mat is a thin mattress with pockets filled with water-absorbing granules over its width. After being soaked flat in cold or cooled tap water, the thickness of the Pet Mat swells to approx. 4 cm. Ideal for travel, when pets can be most uncomfortable. Bodycooler will stay cool for several days. Body Cooler is NON-TOXIC.

Size: Small (30 x 45 cm.)

Price: £15.11 £17.75 Including VAT at 17.5%

Size: Medium (37.5 x 50 cm.)

Price: £18.94 £22.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

Size: Large (50 x 75 cm.)

Price: £24.04 £28.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

Size: Ex. Large (75 x 100 cm.)

Price: £37.66 £44.25 Including VAT at 17.5%

Colours Blue Print Red Print Blue

www.hubintsecured.co.uk

ALTERNATIVELY CAROL ANN CARLTON DOES SOME WONDERFUL COOLER COATS/SUMMER TOWELLING COATS ON HER WEBSITE, MY LOT ARE ALL DECKED OUT IN THEM, NAMES AS WELL!!!

http://oridgenals.me.uk/ORIDGENALS.ME/summer_towellx.html

HOPE THIS HELPS IN YOUR QUEST TO KEEP COOL!

TPH

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Think im going to check out those reflective coats as they sound really good! :thumbsup: and the travel mats sound helpful too!

Glad you put me right about the wet towel idea actually keeping heat IN! as i was going to try that next time! :oops:

cheers guys :cheers:

JAX said:
bardmand said:

Actually , that can do more harm than good , as the body reacts against the wet of the towel and makes the body warmer , Dogs dont sweat as we do , they sweat through their feet . . so keep the feet cool as pos , and obviously DONT stand the dog too long in the sun :- "

Agree totally. Keep crates in shade and cover with thick cotton rug soaked in water. Once I have to take the dogs out f the crate I sponge them. Most importantly make sure they drink, if they do not, get a plastic squirting bottle and squirt directly into their mouth. Water with electrolytes is even better. :thumbsup:

JAX said:
bardmand said:

:oops: I did not realise. I have seen people do this. However, it is rarely very hot where I live, so I should have known better than to give advice about something like this.

Hopefully, people will read your corrections as well as my original post...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back