The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Keeping Your Dog Healthy

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
1: worming

General advice... please add yours as and when :)

Worming a pregnant bitch

Worming a litter of pups

Best de-wormer... and how to get it?

Worms - best to buy meds from the vet rather than over the counter preps

WORMERS - HOW OFTEN?

Worms - lots of 'em, what do I do??

2: Fleas

Information, treatment, nightmare stories! (w00t) Keep them all coming, but here's a few for starters :thumbsup:

Fleas

Fleas, what do you find best?

Frontline supplies at Northolm: northolm site

Got fleas? Make sure you spray EVERY WHERE!

Information on Bio-Spot flea treatment from Northolm Supplies:

Northolm Supplies - supplements for working, showing and racing dogs

Bio Spot is from the US and is as popular there as frontline is in the UK. Each application of Bio Spot for dogs kills and repels adult fleas and ticks, kills flea eggs and larvae, and protects against blood feeding by mosquitoes for dogs age 12 weeks and older. It contains permethrin and Biolar insect growth regulators. Kills and repels fleas, ticks and mosquitoes for up to 3 to 4 weeks. Prevents flea eggs from developing into biting adults for up to 123 days. Protects against blood feeding by mosquitoes (vector of heartworm) for up to 4 weeks. Breaks flea life cycle by killing greater than 92% of fleas within 1 day. It kills on contact so fleas do not bite your dog in order to work.

Each application lasts 123 days (4 months).

3: vaccination

Mention vaccination and you'll soon start a heated debate! It's a topic which has been discussed many times on K9, and there's a lot of information and wise words regarding the pros and cons, the alternatives, the benefits and the possible risks.

Vaccinations

Vaccinations - traditional or homeopathic?

Veterinary statement from Feb 2004

thread from Jan 06

4: teething

Anyone can add to this forum, so I'm putting up a few old threads which I thought were really useful and had lots of information packed into them. Please feel free to comment, advise, or add information which you think might be useful to someone who wants to know more about teething :)

Is this normal?

My poor baby

Advice on ears - teething maybe?

Esme's ears!

same question, new thread nov 06

5: A list of TOXINS

toxic plants

Acorns! Bad for your dog...

toxic plants and bulbs

toxic foodstuffs

Raisins - a warning

6: Ticks

Removal of ticks, featuring great photo close-ups!

7: Common Problems and remedies from Dorwest

Dorwest Herbs - general problems page

8: RAW BONES - KEEPING YOUR DOG'S TEETH HEALTHY

thread from July 05

Cleaning your dog's teeth

9: NAIL CLIPPING

clipping nails thread, with pics for advice/illustration

nails again, further advice

[SIZE=8pt]The information found in FAQ is given freely by K9 members, some of whom have vast experience accumulated over many years.[/SIZE]

In some cases members have veterinary or medical qualifications.

However, all FAQ threads and posts are based on experience and anecdotal evidence.

Nothing can be assumed to be "research-based" and FAQ is offered simply as help and advice, not a substitute for consulting your vet or other knowledgeable body.

If you have a veterinary concern you must consult a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
link for Northolm Supplies site

If anyone gets flea treatments from Northolm, then they might be interested to know that Pauline has just passed her exams regarding worming treatments(Drontal etc) and is about to do more exams :thumbsup:

So even though she isn't active on the board very often at the moment because of study, she's available for queries etc.

I've just bought some Bio-Spot from Northolm and I must say it smells a whole lot better than Frontline. Lemony!

News flash from northolm, as well as doing wormers, Pauline can now prescribe Frontline flea and tick treatment/preventive for dogs and cats. The prices seem competitive. I've put the link into the main section of health, above.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back