The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel Cough

kirs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just returned from a week's holiday and left my dogs with a petsitter where they live in her house with her dogs.

Since they came back they are making an awful noise and retching, mainly when they get up out of bed or get excited. It doesn't happen when they are asleep.

They still want to go for walks and and it hasn't affected their appetite.

Does this sound like Kennel Cough?

yes it dose sound like kennel cough they start to cough when they get excited

or move around .

they don,t all bring up a slimmey mucus depends on how bad they are affected.

every dog is different hope they recover soon :luck:

none of ours lost their appetite even the worst affected goodluck

alfyn said:
kirs said:
What do i do to help them/
A spoonful of honey & a few drops of lemon juice in warm water a few times a day :thumbsup:

A also added a capsule of Devil's Claw to this mixture to help any inflammation :thumbsup:

Also a couple of Ecchinacea tablets won't go amiss o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you need to take your dog to the vet or is it something that will go away of it's own accord?

Foxglove said:
Would you need to take your dog to the vet or is it something that will go away of it's own accord?
Vet would probably give you some anti-biotics, I didn't take mine when they had cough but everyone is different, just used the mixture above with the Ecchinacea on top twice a day. Mine started one day with a bit of a cough, second day they were really bad, third day it had eased off again and gradually it lessened until they were just coughing when getting over excited.

Would recommend at least 2 prehaps 3 weeks away from other dogs though as your pet is still contagious and could pass it on :thumbsup:

Make sure doggy is kept warm too I took mine to bed with me on their worst night to ensure they didn't get cold as their immune system is already trying to fight the Cough and they may find it harder to cope with a bit of a chill in their environment.

Foxglove said:
some vets put the dogs on antibiotics, but my vet was happy for the KC to run its course, he said my dogs are all young and healthy so didnt feel the need to treat them :thumbsup:

and he was right, within a week although they could still pass it on they were all well in them self no coughing :thumbsup: after a few weeks they could all go out and after 30 days i was able to take them back to the track

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back