The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kennel cough

george33

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My boxer bitch was diagnosed with kennel cough last week. Her cough is almost gone now but the little Patterdale has just started today. As they live together it is impossible to keep them apart but I am just wondering whether we will be stuck in a vicious circle. Will Riley catch it back off Charley or will she have built up an immunity to the virus?

Got to be honest i didnt muck about, my first caught it so down vets sorted then day later 2nd dog started so phoned vet up saying i wanted more drugs then collected drugs, plenty of rest and wham sorted

No once they have had kennel cough they won't catch that particular strain again. You should keep the second dog away from all public places as he will be infectious for approx. 3 weeks. Kennel cough is VERY contagious.

You don't always need a vets visit UNLESS your dog is very poorly,refusing fluids, struggling to breathe etc. Otherwise just rest, plenty of fluids and keep him warm.

I did take first one to catch it to vets but he only prescribed codeine as a cough suppressant but no other medication other than the obvious fluids. So long as now they have both got it they don't get it again I am happy. Both feeling sorry for themselves but don't suppose heat is helping either. Thanks both for your replies as it is something I haven't had to deal with before.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back