The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kidney Failure Food?

windle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi a few months ago our beloved Lhasa apso was diagnosed with kidney failure at the rip old age of 18 months :( this came as a big shock to us but she has so far got through this and up until a few days ago looked and acted fine!

now she has always been a fuddy eater! after a few months she gets bored and stops eating (this was before she was diagnosed and was eating all sorts of different brands) we would find one and away she would go again for a few months ago.

She lost so much weight when she became ill when we finally got her home the vets gave us Hill's K/D diet food in a tin. She loved it and couldnt get enough of it (probably due to the weight loss) for a small dog she was happy to eat 1 and a half tins a day for the first month.... as she became bigger this tailed down to 3/4 a day which was fine..

As she is now she has refussed to eat the k/d although she isnt vomiting the last time she ate was a little on saturday night.

My question really is is there any other brand of kidney low protein food out there which we can try her on to give her some variety?

We have another lhasa that is on normal food, she has just gone to her bowl and eaten a little of this so she deffo has her appetite. Do we persist and keep offereing her the food or try another brand, she is lookinng very weak again :(

Thanks

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, especially at such a young age. :( Our first whippet died of kidney failure and I spent hours on the internet searching out info on this heartbreaking disease until I became quite an expert! No sooner had I found something that Josh liked than he seemed to go off it again! I've forgotten a lot of the stuff I learnt and have been trying to find the website which was so helpful but with no luck yet. You can feed home cooked food which needs to be low in protein and phosphorus. Although I can't find the web site I have remembered that I also joined a couple of Yahoo groups, K9kidneys and there was another one called K9KidneyDiet.

Here's a link to the K9Kidneys one (if it works!)

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

I'll keep having a look for the other web site but I have no idea now what it was called, just that it was very useful! :b

Hope you can find something that your dog will like to eat. :luck:

Gillian :)

Last edited by a moderator:
gilliwigs said:
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog, especially at such a young age.  :( Our first whippet died of kidney failure and I spent hours on the internet searching out info on this heartbreaking disease until I became quite an expert!  No sooner had I found something that Josh liked than he seemed to go off it again!  I've forgotten a lot of the stuff I learnt and have been trying to find the website which was so helpful but with no luck yet. You can feed home cooked food which needs to be low in protein and phosphorus. Although I can't find the web site I have remembered that I also joined a couple of Yahoo groups, K9kidneys and there was another one called K9KidneyDiet.
Here's a link to the K9Kidneys one (if it works!)

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

I'll keep having a look for the other web site but I have no idea now what it was called, just that it was very useful!  :b

Hope you can find something that your dog will like to eat.  :luck:

Gillian  :)

Managed to find the site I was telling you about. It's a lot of reading but I think there is some helpful information there if you can sift through it all. :blink: There's a good section on supplements to give too.

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

Hope you do find it useful. :thumbsup:

hi there Gillian thank you so much for your help i have just come back in and will take a look through the site now :)

she is still refussing the food i hope its just stubarness?

thanks

wow lots of info like you said he he

we have read and got very confussed! we understand it low protein she needs but phospherous (speeling) needs to be low too saldey most foods do not include this info.

the general thing seams to be for now any food is beter than no food! we have offered her i little buscuit of some old food we had and she eats it without thinking. I had added a little gravey to her normal buscuits but still no she will not eat that food!

special K kind of cereal is ok we think so she's having a small bowl of them now which at least she is having something even if its not right i am glad she is at least eating a little for tonight.

we are going to ring the vet for advice tomorow and see what their views are on this

hi,

so sorry to read about your dog, :( , i lost my whippet x last may, to kidney failure, the vet recomended cooked chicken and rice, she loved it, we also had her on chappie, and she had goats milk, and small amounts of scrambled egg, made with no butter, and the goats milk, we also tried porrige made with water, and white fish poached in either goats milk, or water, it cooks in the microwave in about 6 mins. have you tried any of the dorwest herbs products, the mixed vegetable tablets help alot.

hope this helps.

cara,x

hi we havent tried anything apart from hills can food and dried food as this is what the vet recomended. we are going to speak to the vet today, the last time we did she said chicken was a big no no for her?

windle said:
hi we havent tried anything apart from hills can food and dried food as this is what the vet recomended. we are going to speak to the vet today, the last time we did she said chicken was a big no no for her?

oh ok, well obviously you have to listen to your vet.

just saying what we did and what we were advised.

my girl was 10 when she was diagnosed, and lived until she was 12 1/2,may be it is different because yours is younger, i dont know.

good luck with her.

update for you

she hasnt got any better really, today she has vomited which is how the kidney failure started orgionally so we are a bit down with it all seeing her like this again :(

i have given her the pill the vet gave us to stop vomiting and then tried her with some dog food (not the KD stuff) she had it right away. We have some new kidney food coming tomrow but in the mean time we are giving a few of these buscuits and she is at least easting and gaining strength!

touch wood she will like the new food tomorow!

In a book I have on natural healthcare for dogs they suggest the following for Kidney failure:

Supplements: Vitamin A, B and C are particularly needed.

Certain foods are considered especially good for kidney problems: parsnips, parsley, cabbage, kidney beans (cooked), barley, carrots, leafy greens, watercress, onions, bone marrow and red meat. Don't feed meat in excess. However once a week a small amount of raw beef liver or kidney is advisable. For treats try strawberries, apples and honey.

Avoid chlorinated water. Make lots of pure water available for drinking at all times and feed two meals a day instead of one. It also helps to vigorously brush the coat and skin regularly and to give a weekly bath with a mild, non-drying shampoo. Provide regular mild outdoor exercise.

Herbal: Alfalfa tablets giving 1 to 4 twice a day (depending on the animal's size).

In a crisis:

Give

Barley water: to make this pour 3 cups of boiling water over a cup of whole barley. Cover and let steep overnight. In the morning strain and squeeze out the liquid through muslin. Add to it 2 teaspoons each of honey and pure lemon juice. Feed your animal 1/4 to 2 cups of this liquid twice a day.

Parsnip balls: Roll raw, grated parsnips, which help to detoxify the kidneys with some thick honey (an energy source) into balls. Give as desired.

If vomiting is severe and continuous try the homeopathic remedy Ipecac 3X.

Kidney diet:

2 medium eggs

1/2 cup lean meat or offal

2 cups cooked barley or brown rice

2 tablespoons grated parsnip or other vegetable

1 tablespoon honey

Sue

hi there firstly thanks for all the help.

Sadley i write this our lhasa apso was put to rest yesterday morning at 10.15 :( We and the vet tried all sorts in the end to get her to eat and she just wouldnt. It was decided yesterday between me my partner and vets it was best to lay her to rest :(

She became very ill towards to end and just looked to have given up and kept looking at us for a cry for help we think. She wouldnt keep down the medicine that was supposed to help keep the acid at bay

She was pretty much lifeless and only got up for a small drink and still went outside for her soiling. A rather large ulcer came up under her tongue yesterday morning, the vet mentioned that the acid in her stomache could have caused her ulcers in her stomach too.

When we look back on her it becomes clear she has never been a very well dog. We have a 4 month old lhasa as well at the min who is totally different, she has so much energy, where as lara always loved to sleep :)) she lived a happy 18 months with us and now me and my partner are going through hell as i am sure a few of you know. She has touched so many people being in a shop everday of her life people would call in just to come and pay her a visit.

We have now started the process of tracking her family down as this condition has been passed down by her family, and we want to firstly check they are ok or at least advise them to get them checked. The site where we bought her from epupz, we looked at the old advert and shocklingly the breeder has been shut down banned and blacklisted from ever selling any again :( we would like to track lara's brothers and sisters owners down and see how there lhasa's have been, looking at the breeder being shut down, sadly we imagine all the dogs suffered the same condition and have already reported her.

Sorry for the rambling, we have bought her a website and are going to tell her storey on there as soon as we can.

www.laralhasaapso.co.uk will hopefully be on soon we her life

Thanks Craig & Rachael

So sorry to hear about your experiences. I am sure you made the right decision. Kidney failure can be difficult to manage, as you found out the toxins build up in the body and slowly poison everything. In the book I have on natural health care it is the one condition where they advise having the dog put to sleep rather than allowing a 'natural' death, this is because the condition causes so much pain.

Was she Kennel Club registered? If so get in touch with the Kennel Club and report your experience (they may be able to trace other family of her).

Also it might be worth getting in touch with the club here:

http://lac.lhasa-apso-club.co.uk/

See if they have heard about this breeder, the breed rescue may also be aware of them (if not then you can inform them).

At least your girl had a happy life with you (albeit a short one) and she felt secure and much loved. You did everything you possibly could for her.

Take care.

Sue

So sorry to hear about Lara and so young too. :( As you know we've been through the kidney disease thing with one of ours and it's such a horrible disease and leaves you feeling so helpless. Desperately trying to find something they will eat and everything you try to give is refused. Sometimes earlier on Josh would get so excited when he realised you were finding him something to eat but then he wouldn't eat it when you offered it to him. Awful. When he died the vet said he had ulcers in his mouth as well. Although we were really sad when he died in many ways it was a relief as we no longer had to watch him struggling and I'm sure you will come to feel that too.

Your little puppy will be a great comfort to you at this time - I know Muffin was for us. But you know you did the best for Lara and I'm sure you have many lovely memories of her. Thinking of you in your sadness and looking forward to your little girl's story on her website. :huggles:

RIP Lara.

Gillian x

I'm really sorry for your loss but am sure it was the right decision for Lara.

Take care :huggles:

Julie

thank you so much for your replies, we are both sat here now with a tear in our eye's reading them. We hope the website will be of some use to people as well as putting our storey about lara out there.

She was so unique, her pedigree name was angel kiss and it was so true. She gave nothing but 110% for us and our family & friends and was so happy to great everyone she knew. She even secretely loved her little sister missy but still told her who was boss!

Thanks again for your kind words, we will be posting these coments on her site also.

Craig & Rachael

I,m very sorry for your sad loss :( Lara will always be in your memories and never forgotten,you gave her all the love and care she wanted :huggles: :huggles: She will never forget that.R.i.p little one.

i am very sorry to be reading this about your beloved little friend, i am sure you made the right decision for her, i know when i made the decision in may last year, it was the hardest thing that i have ever had to do, my thoughts are with you, and my heart goes out to you at this difficult time.

run free little one, R.I.P Lara. .xx

petsympathy.jpg

Poor little Baby - so sorry for your loss you must be devastated :huggles:

Just caught up with this thinking you were still looking for types of food. So sorry to hear you lost your little angel. You gave her a good life, and thank goodness for people like you who do right by their dogs. She is free from pain now, although I fear that has caused you pain. Time is a great healer, and you will always have your memories of your special girl :huggles:

windle said:
hi there firstly thanks for all the help.
Sadley i write this our lhasa apso was put to rest yesterday morning at 10.15 :( We and the vet tried all sorts in the end to get her to eat and she just wouldnt. It was decided yesterday between me my partner and vets it was best to lay her to rest :(

She became very ill towards to end and just looked to have given up and kept looking at us for a cry for help we think. She wouldnt keep down the medicine that was supposed to help keep the acid at bay

She was pretty much lifeless and only got up for a small drink and still went outside for her soiling. A rather large ulcer came up under her tongue yesterday morning, the vet mentioned that the acid in her stomache could have caused her ulcers in her stomach too.

When we look back on her it becomes clear she has never been a very well dog. We have a 4 month old lhasa as well at the min who is totally different, she has so much energy, where as lara always loved to sleep  :)) she lived a happy 18 months with us and now me and my partner are going through hell as i am sure a few of you know. She has touched so many people being in a shop everday of her life people would call in just to come and pay her a visit.

We have now started the process of tracking her family down as this condition has been passed down by her family, and we want to firstly check they are ok or at least advise them to get them checked. The site where we bought her from epupz, we looked at the old advert and shocklingly the breeder has been shut down banned and blacklisted from ever selling any again :( we would like to track lara's brothers and sisters owners down and see how there lhasa's have been, looking at the breeder being shut down, sadly we imagine all the dogs suffered the same condition and have already reported her.

Sorry for the rambling, we have bought her a website and are going to tell her storey on there as soon as we can.

www.laralhasaapso.co.uk will hopefully be on soon we her life

Thanks Craig & Rachael

I am so sorry to read this after we lost our whippet on the 15th march this year too with kidney failure and reading your post made me :( as he was just how you described your little one and its heart breaking to watch them.

:huggles: sleep tight little one.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back