The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Kneeling dog

Cookee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our dog likes to kneel. No, I don't mean bow, I mean kneel on her front legs, at the antebrachiocarpal joint (I think). She is clearly in no pain, and is a healthy, happy, 2 year old who runs like a greyhound across the local fields here. I can't find any references to any dogs doing this, and I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of the behaviour. I'll try to take and post a photo when I am able.
Thanks!

I'd be tempted to say if she's happy doing it, in no pain, let her carry on. In the absence of any other info, it might be worth mentioning to a vet next time you see one.

What breed is she? I know that sighthounds have traits which aren't the 'norm' for most breeds. Mabel (whippet) assumes a crawling/swimming posture with her hind legs fully stretched out behind as though she's inviting me to pick them up for a wheelbarrow race. I also once met and chatted with a couple who had a rescued patterdale cross which amazed me when she performed a handstand when weeing. They told me that she always did it. However, when I've asked other patterdale owners whether their dog does likewise they say "no". Perhaps such mannerisms are just down to idiosyncratic behaviour.

We had handstanding terriers. I always thought that was to fool other dogs smelling the weemails into thinking they were taller than they really were. Terrier graffiti.

All my lurchers did the stretchy out back legs thing. Looked very comfortable. Along with all the other weird postures sighthound types adopt.

We had handstanding terriers. I always thought that was to fool other dogs smelling the weemails into thinking they were taller than they really were. Terrier graffiti.

All my lurchers did the stretchy out back legs thing. Looked very comfortable. Along with all the other weird postures sighthound types adopt.
Terrier graffiti? Better than a Banksy.

My friend's Brittany does the handstand thing too.

I see a lot of Staffies with their hind legs in 'frog' position, though none of my lurchers have ever done that.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back