The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Knocked Up Toe......

Some greyhound vets still pin fire Kris. I know of a couple of dogs that have had it done and they are racing well.

Yeah that's what I'd heard too, a few folk I've been talking to also say that some confuse pin-firing with sclerotherapy. Apparently pin-firing releases tethered ligaments wheras in sclerotherapy, a sclerosing agent is used to harden and callus the ligaments.

After hearing this, I can see why some of the greyhound men thought ''pin-firing'' would be an effective treatment as sclerotherapy would probably be an option for a sprung toe. As far as I know the latter form of treatment isn't banned as it's a procedure I'm familiar with on humans.

Glad Pops is OK, I would always advocate vetinary intervention in all instances. I consulted a greyhound vet when Arch did his toe (as well as my usual vet (who was mediocre)). We injected, bone-radioled, rested and strapped, and it worked...............Thank God for experts :thumbsup: :luck: with that precious Popper

The people who I know haven't confused pin-firing with sclerosing Jac. They've had both done. Pin firing doesn't seem (to me) to be as available as sclerosing as a treatment. One of mine was going to be sclerosed to tighten up the ligaments in his toe but unfortunately the one ligament snapped when I was trying him out last Sunday. This after 2 weeks of Bone radiol and massage. But hey it worked on his gracilis. So now we have no option but to have the P3 removed.

Thanks Jac it'll be fine. I have a particular horror of toe nail problems since loosing Barney Giant Schnauzer to cancer which affected the end of his toes and which were initially diagnosed as a bad nail bed infection. Bean's thank goodness isn't caused by that but I was worried last year, such a relief to see the nail bed healing up.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back