The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Labrador advice Needed

Rich_Charlotte

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

After much research, questions answers meeting breeders/owners etc myself and my partner have decided on the breed being a Labrador! The only thing I am not sure on is the working? Showing? Type! I understand the showing is usually thicker set etc with the working being more energetic? But as mentioned I'm not a 100% sure obviously!

I am guessing breeders sometimes mix the parents one being from a working line and one from a show type would this be ,right to assume??

I look forward to anyone's advice?

You might be right in what your saying but in a worker it can a will make a good pet without a doult. In workers you say more energetic? Ok i say fitter and stronger and thats how a dog should be, the fitter you are the harder you are.

I`ve had both show stock and working stock Labs , my current boy Sam is pure field trials working stock and has been the easiest Lab I have ever owned . There is a common misconception that a working dog wont be happy unless he is worked , this is not true but they are happiest when employed in gundog training ! I wont ever use Sam for a shoot but I still took him for one to one gundog training when he was about 9 months old and even when I finished the course of lessons , I kept up the retrieving work which he loves , it keeps them stimulated and happy and keeps me fit !

It all depends on your lifestyle really , if you are happy to do as I did , then a working stock dog is ideal , they are very easy to train, very biddable indeed but if you want a quieter life without the gundog training, a show stock dog would be better for you or even one bred from both stocks .

Labs can carry some health problems so make sure that you ask any breeder for proof of hip and elbow scores plus eye tests and if they cant provide them , walk away . Lovely choice of breed , had them all my life !

I had a working bred lab and he was very hard work - he needed more walking than I could give him... miles and miles a day.....

He also wanted to be outside all of the time and would just pant and whine to sit outside all of the time.

It was very hard, especially with a very young family.

I have had 2 pet/show golden retrievers and they love their exercise but don't need it all of teh time and are much more pet like than my working lab.... :)

I think I must be very fortunate with my working bred Lab Sam , bless him , easiest Lab I have owned and yes I agree, they need lots of exercise , Sam has about two hours hard off lead walking/training every day, rain or shine, but the rest of the time he is a proper softie who loves the sofa !

Yeah, I couldn't walk him that much - my retrievers are happy with 2/3 miles a day......

We need a piccie of your lab!

Easter 2013 004.JPGHere he is, in pointing mode !

Your lab looks lovely! Once again thanks for advice! Is there any recommended breeders/official lab sites like there is for many other dog breeds?

if you go to the web site of the UK Kennel Club , click on the breed and you will get a list of KC accredited breeders . Would also suggest you ask at your local Vets , they might know of a breeder or just a resonsible owner whos bitch is having a litter ? Good luck and if you need any advice, just shout !

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back