The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lagotto Romagno

Nanny71

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Met a sixteen week Lagotto today on my walk. What a beautiful little dog. They apparently are used for truffle hunting. Not a lot of truffles where I live!
Interested enough to look them up. Firstly slightly surprised at the price. Secondly discovered they are already being 'designed. Saw a cockerlotto for sale.
I ask myself why. The dog is already non moulting and apparently grows to the size of a cocker spaniel so why deliberately cross breed these two very similar dogs. Is it just because we can.

I have a cross breed myself, called a Chichon (fancy name for a Chihuahua Bichon cross) he was an accidental mating but this cross also seems to be getting popular. Again I ask myself WHY all these Cockerpoo, labradoodles and for goodness sake JUGS.
I am of a generation where most people just had a mongrel or cross breed but we didn't give them fancy names or charge thousands of pounds for them. We considered people with pedigree dogs rich but we loved our dogs regardless and unscrupulous breeders were few and far between.

Don't get me wrong I adore my dog and I am sure the vast majority of owners, cross breeds and pure breeds do too. But I do wonder where it will all end.

Rant over and I do hope no one takes offence

No offense taken here, it comes down I think to a combination of 'fashion' - for years I remember dog popularity phases, GSDs, then Rotties, then Staffies, now brachycephallic breeds and the so-called designer crosses - plus supply and demand. As long as people want the fashionable popular ones, breeders will step in and supply them. And with easier transit into the UK, a lot are coming from puppy farms in Europe, which is very sad. Tho one cross in your post that is maybe a little more encouraging is the Jug. Much as I hate the name, the JRT diluting the extreme traits of the pug could lead to a healthier dog.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back