The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Latest time to eat before bed time?

Zudecke1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

I thought that this topic might be seldom discussed, yet oft thought about by new puppy owners.

If a puppy hasn't eaten their dinner / all of their dinner, by when would be the last call before bedtome before discarding / storing that portion?

I'm working in 25pc new puppy food to my puppy's diet and she's not really fond of the new food, even at 25pc.

It's been in front of / and in her crate for 2 hours now and she hasn't finished it yet. I'm wondering when is too late?

Maybe you are offering your puppy more food than she requires at the moment. !0 to 15 minutes should be quiet long enough for food to be available on offer. This will help train your puppy to eat when food is given. A healthy puppy is always waiting for its next feed. Try not to make your puppy eat more than it needs:oops:

Does she spend a lot of time shut in the cage or is she free running. A young puppy when leaving it's siblings will have to learn to eat by itself and without the competition from its other litter mates. It will also be missing the playing and energy games with its siblings.
Does your puppy wear a collar with a disc dangling from it, this may be rattling on the food bowl while trying to feed and frightening her.
Try feeding her with a flat dish or straight on the floor.
Have you considered a raw diet.:rolleyes:
The last puppy we bought was fed on a kibble of some description when we got her, I changed her food over to raw within 2 days ( she loved it from the begining) there were no problems and no upset tummies. Poo's were just lovely and firm:rolleyes:

Maybe you are offering your puppy more food than she requires at the moment.
Does she spend a lot of time shut in the cage or is she free running. A young puppy when leaving it's siblings will have to learn to eat by itself and without the competition from its other litter mates. It will also be missing the playing and energy games with its siblings.
Does your puppy wear a collar with a disc dangling from it, this may be rattling on the food bowl while trying to feed and frightening her.
Try feeding her with a flat dish or straight on the floor.
Have you considered a raw diet.:rolleyes:
The last puppy we bought was fed on a kibble of some description when we got her, I changed her food over to raw within 2 days ( she loved it from the begining) there were no problems and no upset tummies. Poo's were just lovely and firm:rolleyes:

Thanks for the response :).

She was in a fresh food (human) diet and we're transitioning her to a fresh food diet with Butternut Box.

She really has acquired a tooth for plan ol' chicken and yoghurt!

I was mushing up the mix of chicken beast, yoghurt and 24% of Butternut Box meals into a "reward" sizes and feeding her that way, which she did take to, but I left half in the bowl for her which she wouldn't (and still hasn't) touched.

As we're going to bed soon, I'm probably just going to discard it...

Good point about the litter mates

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back