The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lines appeared on dogs fur back/hip - Cause for concern?

Bob777

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog has had these lines appear on his fur on one side for over a week now, I initally thought that it would just go away and was just temporary from him intiching etc. but its not going away.

It doesn't seem to be bothering him in any way and there is no signs that he is sick etc. however I'm concerned about what it could be and if it warrants a trip to the vet? Trips to the vert are very stressful for my dog so wanted to see if maybe anyone can shed some light on what it could possibly be before I resort to brining him.

For context, He is a 8 year old SharPei/ Staffy. Pictures are attached, Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-30 at 14.56.41.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-30 at 14.56.41.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 430
  • lines on back.jpg
    lines on back.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 156
Can you see if the skin looks completely normal underneath - any redness, or is it raised at all? A good vet may be happy for you to email them photos and give you their opinion - but they might feel they have to see the dog 'in person' to cover themselves.

A thought - could the dog have picked up scratches from something like brambles?

It seems a little bumpy but this could be just the fur itself, I cant seem to notice anything on the skin underneath and it looks pretty normal.

It could possibly be from brambles etc. but if that was the case I think it would be gone by now.

I will examine it again later when we give him a bath and see if there is any changes over the next few days, If not I will consult the vet.

Thanks for your input and advice!

Regards,
Robert

It could well be that there was a scratch that either removed some fur, or meant it didn't continue to grow or lie in the same way - in which case the lines could hang around for some time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back