The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Litter Size

xEmiliex

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi my lily is 28 months shes already had one season and is due her second season anytime now we are going to mate her this season we have a gorgous blue and white male on hand for stud lily has just had her booster injection and been wormed i'm just wondering if anyone has bred there whippet and how many pups they had? we had alot of problems with lily not health wise health wise shes perfect just had a check up i mean chewing etc but shes finaly overcome most of it she has a lovely nature we are just about to move to a bigger house with garden and we are planning on keeping a pup of the litter im so excited cant wait everyone says i must be mad as lily was pretty bad but shes turning into a lovely dog and i just cant wait i love whippets

I have never bred a dog but my first whippet was one of 13 , 12 survived :blink:

I would say that Lily is a bit too young to have a litter just my thoughts :thumbsup: . We have bred a few litters and have waited at least until the bitches have been at least 3 years old and a wee bit more mature. If you are moving house at the moment this could be stressful enough for Lily and your family :sweating: :sweating: and imagine having to deal with a litter of puppies in a strange environment!

My advice to you would be to wait until she has her third season and until you and your family have settled into your new home ;) . Having a litter of pups is hard work she could have anything between 6 and 11 pups.

Good luck :luck: with your move :huggles:

I agree with neave shes on the young side and having just breed a litter of 5 pups it was our firts and last litter its hard work very expencive and not a good plan if your about togo through the upheavel of a houes move. i would get settled and wait for her next season she will be a bit more mature and should help her be a better mum as she sounds like shes only just coming out of puppys nautys herselfe. thtas just my opinion though

:luck: GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PUPPIES THEY WILL BE VIOLET AND FLORENCE,S NEPHEWS AND NIECES. IF LILY FOLLOWS VIOLET SHE HAD 8 BABIES WE HAVE KEPT 3 SO BE WARNED YOU OFTEN GET ATTACHED TO MORE THAN YOU PLANED TO :luck:

well we had two litters 25yrs ago we had litter of 5 and a litter of 6

and 5yrs latter another litter of 5 :wub:

all pups did very well it is hard work but very rewarding enjoyed every moment.

if you think your bitch is mature enought then go ahead you know her better

than anyone else :)

one of my bitches was 3 and a half the other was 2 and a half they were

fantastic mums both were very laid back in their everyday life .

well I wish you luck :luck:

peppermint sue said:
well we had two litters 25yrs ago we had litter of 5 and a litter of 6and 5yrs latter another litter of 5  :wub:

all pups did very well it is hard work but very rewarding enjoyed every moment.

if you think your bitch is mature enought then go ahead you know her better

than anyone else :)

one of my bitches was 3 and a half the other was 2 and a half they were

fantastic mums both were very laid back  in their everyday life .

well I wish you luck  :luck:

my mum breds her lhaso's from 2yrs and they have made fab mums realy great i personaly think lily is ready but on the other hand i do agree about waiting if we are moving i guess i didnt think about that part i will see how it goes as we could of moved and settled before the next season etc if not then i might wait till the following season

Our Kiah was about 30 months when she had her litter and was fine and been a great mum but I would back up all comments regarding the amount of time and work involved - its certainly not easy! :- "

IMO this is the wrong time to have a litter, there are a lot of litters out there, not selling because of the state of peoples finances. Dogs are ending up in rescues because their owners cannot afford to keep them.

So wait at least another year. Better for your bitch as she will be settled in your new home by then.

Puppy numbers, from 4 upwards!!!!!!!

:) I have never bred a litter and have no intention to. I think it must be the most fantastic thing to see and do, but I would much rather leave it to an expert (w00t) Id be too scared in case anything went wrong :sweating: and I dont think my nerves could take the strain. :luck: :luck: to you whatever you do :thumbsup:

I turned into a nervous wreck with our litter and check doubel anc triped checked everthing yet I had rased lots of orphan rescue pups no problem. I think aswell with moveing and you want a greyhound pup get that all settled so you can have time to consentrat on the litter and enjoy it with no distractions oggd luck when you do have them

forgot to say our 3rd litter was born a week after we moved house on her

due date :) has long as we were their she didn,t care where she was :)

IM sure you will do whats right for your girlie :wub:

everyone has different ideas on whats right but if you want your own pups

goodluck to you :luck:

my mum breds lhaso apso's im moving next door to her so she will be on hand for help when the pups are being born im not going into it lightly i know they will be hard work the pups wont be ready to leave until march so wont be a xmas fad ive had her checked over by a private vet and my vet said shes perfect to have a litter from infact he wanted to take her home lol i will also have my vets number if any problems should arise and the money ready i might wait for another season like i said if she comes into season before the move anyway thank you all for your feedback :huggles:

Forgot to add my husband would like us to stick with whippets and not have a greyhound just yet so i dont think we will be getting a greyhound we would like to keep one of lilys litter and also buy a fawn whippet pup so they can grow together

xEmiliex said:
Forgot to add my husband would like us to stick with whippets and not have a greyhound just yet so i dont think we will be getting a greyhound we would like to keep one of lilys litter and also buy a fawn whippet pup so they can grow together
I see that earlier in the year you almost had to part with Lily as she needed some extra training and you didn't have the time with young kiddies and another on the way. She obviously was/is quite a trying young bitch! Well done you for persisting with her and hopefully your hard work has paid off

Having a litter maybe a lot harder work than you anticipate and then buying in another puppy to keep the one you keep from the litter company will be absolutely manic! Please consider it carefully, if you were struggling with Lily when she was very 'OTT' you may find it too much to have a litter and then keep and pup AND buy another one with young kiddies as well.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

There are several things to consider in this moment;

1 In the current economic situation it is very unwise to be considering a litter. I have a litter in this moment, I had more orders than i could fill, and so I allocated the pups and sent the rest of people to other breeders, as my next litter will not be for another year or more. However in the past few weeks I had 2 cancellations, i found one more good buyer, but I still need one more. It is not a drama, the pups are only 6 weeks old and i am happy to run on the one boy for however long it will take to get a good home for him.

But there is no way i would be thinking of mating a bitch now.

It is not unusual people changing their minds, but normally all what I do is just mention on my website that puppy is available and withing couple of days I have number of people to choose from.

2 -To produce a litter costs lot of money. My bitches about triple their food consumption from about the week 6 of the pregnancy till the pups are totally weaned. I feed my dogs on human consumption grade meat and wean the pups on goats milk, and my food bills become quite astronomical while I have litter.

Whippet puppies are not Lhasa, they are nimble little climbers and squeezers. I have whole battery of puppy pens and barricades, and I still find them in places they do not suppose to be. (w00t)

3- The age you breed your bitch. It is not true to say that 2 years is too young. Bitch is mature when she comes in season. Her maturity is reached by the hormones released in puberty, which causes her to come in season; from then on her hips start slowly calcifying. Once her hips are set her labour will be more difficult. As it became fashionable to wait til bitch is 3 or more to have first litter, it is becoming more usual for Whippet bitches to require C-sections to deliver their pups.

Ideally I like my bitch to have her first litter at about 2, I would prefer bit before 2 than after 3. But I only breed 1 or 2 litters from each of my bitches. Over past 40 years I bred 15 litters from 9 bitches. All whelped easily.

:luck: Good luck with whatever you decide, but remeber that some Whippets have 10 pups. How many were in the litter your bitch came from? That can give you a guide, as the number of eggs is hereditary, but the number of pups is also influenced by other factors; the bitch may produce 10 eggs, but if she is mated late she may only have 4-5 pups. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
There are several things to consider in this moment;
1  In the current economic situation it is very unwise to be considering a litter.  I have a litter in this moment, I had more orders than i could fill, and so I allocated the pups and sent the rest of people to other breeders, as my next litter will not be for another year or more.  However in the past few weeks I had 2 cancellations, i found one more good buyer, but I still need one more.  It is not a drama, the pups are only 6 weeks old and i am happy to run on the one boy for however long it will take to get a good home for him. 

But there is no way i would be thinking of mating a bitch now.

It is not unusual people changing their minds, but normally all what I do is just mention on my website that puppy is available and withing couple of days I have number of people to choose from.

2 -To produce a litter costs lot of money.  My bitches about triple their food consumption from about the week 6 of the pregnancy till the pups are totally weaned.  I feed my dogs on human consumption grade meat and wean the pups on goats milk, and my food bills become quite astronomical while I have litter. 

Whippet puppies are not Lhasa, they are nimble little climbers and squeezers.  I have whole battery of puppy pens and barricades, and I still find them in places they do not suppose to be.  (w00t)

3- The age you breed your bitch.  It is not true to say that 2 years is too young.  Bitch is mature when she comes in season.  Her maturity is reached by the hormones released in puberty, which causes her to come in season; from then on her hips start slowly calcifying.  Once her hips are set her labour will be more difficult.  As it became fashionable to wait til bitch is 3 or more to have first litter, it is becoming more usual for Whippet bitches to require C-sections to deliver their pups.

Ideally I like my bitch to have her first litter at about 2, I would prefer bit before 2 than after 3.  But I only breed 1 or 2 litters from each of my bitches.  Over past 40 years I bred 15 litters from 9 bitches.  All whelped easily.

:luck:   Good luck with whatever you decide, but remeber that some Whippets have 10 pups.  How many were in the litter your bitch came from?  That can give you a guide, as the number of eggs is hereditary, but the number of pups is also influenced by other factors; the bitch may produce 10 eggs, but if she is mated late she may only have 4-5 pups. :)

Of course id take it step by step and might not have two maybe just one i'm not sure how many were in her litter but tanya/posh totty could take you as she was lilys breeder thank you x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back