The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Liver disease

K

Kayleighmc04

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,
My 6 year old Shih tzu has been diagnosed with liver disease and pancreatisis last week after 3 nights in the animal hospital.
Since coming home he has not ate a thing other than a chew which he has just vomited back up. He has not had a meal since 1 week ago tommorow.
He has been drinking gallons of water and peeing excessively which looks like fresh orange juice with no smell.
I cannot get him to eat anything and I have tried endless amounts of different things which means he will not take his liver support meds or the antibiotic the vet gave me. I am at my wits end on how to help him now.. I have maxed out my pet insurance and emptied my bank account and I am desperate for help.
Whilst in animal hosp the vet gave him opioid drugs such as methadone and I am wondering if anyone elses dog has had any unusual side effects after having this drug? Such as staring in to space.. Shaking..? He is not the same dog I dropped off at the vet on Friday and then got home on Monday. Please can someone who has experienced this let me know if this ends or does he sound like he's not going to get better? I am desperate for help for him.
He has an app in the morning for repeat blood tests.

Thank you.

Kayleigh.

I'm so sorry - I've no advice to give, but didn't want to read and run. If in doubt about any worrying symptoms or unable to get vital drugs into your dog, though, it's always worth ringing your vet - the emergency vet if necessary.

How is he this morning?

So sorry you are going through this. You do need this conversation with a vet. Hugs.

Hello. I hope he is feeling better now? Drinking lots of water can be a sign of diabetes in dogs. Please see a vet and hugs to you both.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back