The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lucky The Dark Destroyer

Lepus capensis.........brown hare

Lepus timidus...........blue hare

Lepus timidus hibernicus..........Irish hare

You got it Nigelmcfc. A lot of people think the Irish and the blue hare are the same animal. Willow killed 11 out of 11 blue (white) hares in less than 4 hours on the hill, and looked like she could have killed another 11 if the clouds had'nt shrouded the hill and made hunting on dangerous. Not even Dancer could kill 11 Irish hares in a day. The odd Irish hare does turn whitish in the winter but I've only seen one completely white one in over 40 years, ( which a bitch of mine killed in 1987) and another which was white all over except for a little patch of brown on its head and its two ears. This one ran past me up a laneway and beat the dog through a sheepwire fence and into a wood. All the blues (whiteys) that I've had my hands on without exception have been much smaller and lighter than Irish hares.....especially the Irish DOES, which are the largest on average, of all the hares I've held.

CID__img00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to run the white hares a bit in Derbyshire . They were a fair bit smaller than your average brown hare , but still took some catching over the peat and heather moors.

Here`s an old pic

View attachment 23850

Always found blue hares great sport and pretty easy to catch with my lurchers and even my deerhounds, had double figures in one day with both of these, usually the only way they escape is by going down drainage ditches or rabbit holes. Good thing about them for me is they live on moors that Ive hunted where hundreds can be seen, so plenty of sport for those dogs that dont QUIT

You're welcome Murphy, I must say I did'nt find the blue hares much sport as my young bitch had only seen around a dozen hares in total when she had the day on the tops and I remember thinking how easy they were falling to a total novice. However for a young dog or bitch there's nothing like easy early success for building confidence, although it would be very easy to think you had a world beater if the dog was'nt also tested on fenland brown hares too. :oops:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back