The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lung Worm In Dogs

TIGGERGOULD

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
today our 2yr old staffy has been diagnosed with lungworm. i just want everyone to know especially those that live in the south like devon and cornwall..my vet said that she has never seen so many cases as she has this year!!..apparantly eating poo, grass etc...and chewing on toys that have been left out in the garden for the slugs and snails to crawl over are the main causes....it has been a very rough month for bilko as we thought 3 weeks ago he had damaged his throat by pulling on his collar!!..anyway £200 later he is not out of the woods yet so please be warned it is not nice and very uncomfortable for the dog.

today our 2yr old staffy has been diagnosed with lungworm. i just want everyone to know especially those that live in the south like devon and cornwall..my vet said that she has never seen so many cases as she has this year!!..apparantly eating poo, grass etc...and chewing on toys that have been left out in the garden for the slugs and snails to crawl over are the main causes....it has been a very rough month for bilko as we thought 3 weeks ago he had damaged his throat by pulling on his collar!!..anyway £200 later he is not out of the woods yet so please be warned it is not nice and very uncomfortable for the dog.
My Labrador had Lungworm last year and all i did was give her Panacur 10% wormer (liquid) 1ml per 2kg for 3 consecutive days. Lungworm cases are certainly on the increase and it's no longer confined to the south west of england. As you stated it's past on by slugs and snails. I always feed my dogs indoors and i now put there water bowls inside the sleeping quarters of there runs. I also treat for Lungworm every six months now as a precaution, it's not expensive to do so and it gives me the piece of mind.

Some people give there dogs big knuckle bones (or any dog treats for that matter) which the dogs eat in the garden, if these are left out during the night there's a good chance the dogs will contract lungworm. If lungworm is left untreated it can be very serious for the dogs health

I regularly worm with Milbemax which is a prescription only product ... it doesn't entirely guarantee that your dog won't become infected with lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) but it significantly reduces the risk ... as I understand it the same is not true for most over the counter wormers.

I do hope that Bilko makes a good and speedy recovery :luck:

when we went to vets first she thought it was kennel cough and gave him anti-biotics...and i treated all 3 dogs with the advocat stuff to be sure!!..in this case sadly it was lungworm so i wonder how many other people get mis diagnosed???...he has been very bad since last night and knew for sure he needed a vet this morning...i just hope he is out of the woods now!!..i think bilko has got it by licking the grass where the 2 bitches pee!!!..he is a bugger for that so he will go out muzzled now so he cant reach the grass properly and on a lead as he will keep infecting himself otherwise.

:( Sorry to hear about Bilko, i will get mine checked now because their always leaving toys out in the blooming garden over night, :b I didn't realise dogs could catch it so easily thanks for the warning. :teehee: Di

I regularly worm with Milbemax which is a prescription only product ... it doesn't entirely guarantee that your dog won't become infected with lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) but it significantly reduces the risk ... as I understand it the same is not true for most over the counter wormers.

I regularly worm with Milbemax too....some people try to claim that advocate is the only product which treats lungworm..it's expensive..but if you read the literature Milbemax is also effective against lungworm and my vets recommend using it.

.Milbemax is about 2.50 a tablet per ten kilo of dog.

James is Milbemaxed monthly at the moment because he keeps eating snails :x

:( Sorry to hear about Bilko, i will get mine checked now because their always leaving toys out in the blooming garden over night, :b I didn't realise dogs could catch it so easily thanks for the warning. :teehee: Di
yes di do that!!

i am using that vet near your house pets at home!!!

do u remember at honiton he was not quite himself then was he?...ahh well i hope he is gonna be ok..xXx

I regularly worm with Milbemax too....some people try to claim that advocate is the only product which treats lungworm..it's expensive..but if you read the literature Milbemax is also effective against lungworm and my vets recommend using it.

.Milbemax is about 2.50 a tablet per ten kilo of dog.

James is Milbemaxed monthly at the moment because he keeps eating snails :x
Thats correct my vets told me that milbemax is only effective against lungworm if you treat your dogs monthly.

I prefer to use Panacur 10% liquid wormer twice a year for 3 consecutive days. I use Milbemax once a year then Drontal plus.

I never use the same wormer against worms as my theory is the worms could build up a resistance and the wormer you use may not be as effective against certain types of worms.

People who keep horses always use a different wormer each time they worm there horses.

I worm my dogs every three months and frontline them in April and then again in August. I also feed dried garlic (available at equestrian supplies) this also helps keep your dogs worm free.

Milbermax is very expensive at my vets thats why i prefer the panacur 10% liquid i get this from petmedic or bestpetpharmacy (whoever is cheapest at the time). I also use them for the drontal plus

I'm lucky I work at a vet surgery so wormers etc pretty cheap.

I only worm my dogs three times a year apart from beagle boy as he's the only one who eats gross things.

I frontline every other month tho as never want to get fleas....ectoparasites not my thing!!

If I worm the dogs I generally use panacur powder each time but never had worms in my lot just do it as a preventative.

Used Drontal Plus once but they all had a bad reaction so never used it again and went back to panacur.....only use Milbemax because it is effective against lungworm for my snail eating monster!!

When Benji first arrived here with his awful cough the vet decided to treat for lungworm just in case (though I don't think it was lungworm in the end). He gave him Milbemax once a week for four weeks, which he reckons is pretty much 100% effective, and said normal single dosage or even monthly treatment doesn't effectively get rid of it.

No idea if this is correct or not - we've also had a couple of foster dogs treated for lungworm by different vets and they all seem to recommend different treatment regimes. I think because it hasn't been very common in this country until recently there isn't much consensus about the best way to deal with it, but if your dog is infected and you are having problems getting rid of it it may be worth asking about using Milbemax as a four-week treatment.

well bilko is now home and im £251 lighter :rant: ...he is insured though thankfully.

he has to go back for a heart scan on friday as she is concerned that his heart is bigger than it should be!!.[any theories on this welcome].....got anti-biotics and some powder to help him bring up the stuff on his lungs easier.

he does not seem interested in food although im not surprised! :x ..he still has trouble breathing but not as bad as last night, ill update tomorrow evening...fingers crossed!!..thanks all!!!..x :cheers:

oh god, poor boy :( thing with staffs is theyre such tough lil dogs its hard to pick up on any illness or injury unless its really really bad. the flipside is theyre usually up and about and recovered faster than many.

do some worms migrate at all? might explain his heart :(

hope all goes well for him xxx

Heart worm and lungworm are the same thing, the adult worms live inside the heart and that is why it can become enlarged.

There is info on the Bayer website [makers of Advocate] which I understand only prevents them from getting it and does not treat an infection.

My friends bitch was suspected of having lungworm and was treated with Panacurs granuals at half the dose for roundworm but for 7 days.

I'm confused now, I thought heartworm was transmitted by mosquitos?

Certainly the heartworm you get in the US and Southern Europe is, and it's a very nasty parasite and often fatal. I don't think that's the same as the lungworm we have in the UK?

Yes its a different type that is spread thro snails and slugs. Also my vet says fox poo as the lavae are passed out and it can be caught from that to :(

well thanks all and bilko had his heart scan today and the vet is thinking he has a very nasty infection, he has to stay on anti-biotics for another week then they will review!!..he does not seem to concerned about his heart though so we will just have to wait and see...oh and i have got to advocate all three dogs again this week!!..another £130 spent today!!..tesco`s are gonna love me :angry: ..i wonder do i get points aswell? :clown:

bilko is the one in the middle!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back