The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher - Any Ideas Or Advice On Crawling Dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
if he was mine, i would want his neck x rayed particularly at the base and another film of his upper spine from just behind his shoulder blades, as he reminds me of a dog which had spondylosis.

Wonder if it could be something genetic?

LL had a hancock dog in june this year, he turns 10 this year

and he has problems with his legs, although he didnt do the crawling thing,

he had a weired gate, like he had jelly legs, from what the vet said - the spacings between the joints

were to wide

All long dogs are predisposed to neck and back problems purely because of the length of them making them more vulnerable to the likes of trapped nerves, disc displacement etc etc

A shorter more compact back is less likely to be vulnerable to twists and turns because there is less flexion of the spine.

A good example of what I mean would be the Tacoma bridge. The sheer length of it with a lack of strong, supporting structure made it vulnerable to something called elastic distribution which resulted in it's collapse.

With Bob having considerable muscle wastage whether through age or lack of exercise, he would be predisposed to a back or neck injury. But in fairness even the fittest racing dog if exerted or subject to certain tortional forces during a race can just as easily acrue an injury which is why so many of these dogs benefit from manipulation +/- rest and recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
bob is lovely

he could have a infection somewhere

or could be a tendon problem

if hes been just shut up for ages may not remember how to walk

bless him hope he finds his own sofa

I know it's not that clear on the video, but from what his fosterer says I'm pretty sure it's not behavioural. It definitely hurts him to stand and he sometimes screams at the moment when his legs straighten. Also he sometimes collapses again and it takes several goes to get him onto his feet.

On the other hand, he came in from the garden yesterday and decided to charge the length of the garden at full speed and jump the three steps leading into the house which he did with no apparent difficulty.

He saw the head vet today and is booked in for x-rays on 29th as a first step, though he's not over-optimistic anything will show up, so we'll take things from there.

if he was mine, i would want his neck x rayed particularly at the base and another film of his upper spine from just behind his shoulder blades, as he reminds me of a dog which had spondylosis.

I'd be looking for evidence of a disc problem around the shoulder area of the spine.

One of my poodles has a disc issue in his neck. Valium, Tramal and crate rest resolved it for the meantime. Anti-inflammatories didn't work at all.

Regular chiropractic adjustments have prevented a recurrence.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely looking boy . Who couldnt fail to fall for him

Maybe a MRI scan would be better ?

Montee had an xray on his back that didnt show anything , but the MRI showed a prolapsed disc .

At present , he is in no pain and running and jumping (w00t) as normal

Fingers crossed for handsome BOB

Bob had his x-rays, which showed nothing but at least ruled a few things out. The next step is to get him up to Bristol for an MRI scan - fingers crossed that gives us some answers!

:thumbsup: thanks for the update on Bob. He looks a lovely friendly lad and i hope he gets sorted soon. :))

Bob had his x-rays, which showed nothing but at least ruled a few things out. The next step is to get him up to Bristol for an MRI scan - fingers crossed that gives us some answers!
Best of luck! :luck:

Has he had no improvement with the meds?

He has improved a bit, he's having less problems getting up in the mornings now, but is still doing the crawling and screaming at night sometimes. Worryingly his fosterer thinks he is also tender in the pelvic area, he's cried a couple of times when she's pressed down slightly on his hips :(

On the other hand, once he's out and about during the day he's doing fine and is very mobile:

167703_1774478445277_1338782395_1962977_5936061_n.jpg

He'll be having his MRI scan soon, I have so many things crossed that we are going to be able to help him. Even though he's obviously in pain having to be helped up etc he's never so much as curled a lip, he really has the nicest temperament with everybody and everything he's met.

I'm very pleased to report that after all our worries Bob is doing extremely well indeed, and has had no problems or pain for the last few weeks :thumbsup:

He was started on Previcox and showed an immediate improvement to the point where we postponed his scan, and eventually have cancelled it altogether. It is possible he may need Previcox permanently, but we are going to try him without it for a short period and see how he gets on.

Bob is now up for rehoming, so please wish him luck finding his perfect home, he's such a lovely dog, he certainly deserves it after all he's been through :wub:

http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=38565

Lovely to hear that Bob is doing so well!

Good luck finding your forever sofa Bob, I'm sure it won't be long gorgeous boy :wub:

Thats great news for BOb , hope he finds his forever home soon, Hes so handsome

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back