The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lurcher Diet

sallyj

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and would really welcome any advice you may have on the best diet for my lurcher. I've had him about a month and ever since I've had him (and before) he's been really "loose" and very prolific which is making housetraining pretty difficult. I've had him checked out by the vet - there's nothing wrong with him so it's a case of finding the right diet. He's a Bedlington cross and gets plenty of exercise but won't be worked. He's estimated to be around 8-10 months. Any advice really gratefully accepted!

Sally :- "

feed him on red mills racer,but just bring him on to it slowly

I feed Royal Canin and raw meat 3 times a week which keeps mine in great condition. If he's loose give him a raw egg or some porridge.

are you feeding him a dried food at the minute ?

Last edited by a moderator:
TopHoundDog said:
are you feeding him a dried food at the minute ?
Yes, he was originally on Burgess Supadog Sensitive but that made him green and runny (sorry for details!!) then to clear him out the vet put him on Hills I/d and some Pro-Kolin for a few days. I'm wondering what to try in the long term.... Thanks :))

i found that hills really didn't agree with mine, when we got her as a pup she was on it but she had rather a dull scurffy coat when I changed her coat started to glow.

I had exactly the same problem with Sid when he first came to me at 8 months. I fed him chicken and rice for about 8 weeks and then gradually introduced "Oscars" working dog dried food. I have it delivered and it is priced really reasonably and, best of all, it suits him. Good luck :thumbsup:

unwanted said:
feed him on red mills racer,but just bring him on to it slowly
Here Here I feed redmills racer to my working whippet bitch. Nothing else suits her. I believe it's the maize content in some feeds that certain dogs don't agree with.

Hi,

I've got a whippet/bedlington and I tried most dried foods and they all had the same effect until I was recommended Sneyds Wonder Dog and I've never looked back.

hellybobs said:
Hi,
I've got a whippet/bedlington and I tried most dried foods and they all had the same effect until I was recommended Sneyds Wonder Dog and I've never looked back.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry to sound like a twit but do you think it would be OK to feed him high-protein feed for working dogs when he doesn't work? He gets 2 x half-hour sprinting sessions a day (with a few lie-downs along the way when he gets whacked ;) and a little wander round as a wind-down after). If my partner's away on business (couple of days a week on average) he goes to a local kennel where he gets more exercise than that.

Hi,

You could try him on the BARF diet - raw meat (minced chicken, lamb, tripe, turkey) with biscuit & some veggies but don't mix raw with 'complete' food as it digests at different rates. Also the odd chicken wing (bashed initially to break bones up) but if his poo is runny give egg added to cooked rice or the good old staple chicken boiled with rice for a while to settle his tum.

Friend of mine just started giving hers Vitalin for working dogs (altho they don't) and they love it so much they try to break open the bag! She has 10 doglets 8 of which are lurchers!

Raw, raw, raw no dogs should be fed anything else!

We changed to Raw about 9 months ago and our lot are a lot happyer on it, (it may cost a bit more than the average compleat but it's worth it)

there are some realy good compleats on the Market but Raws got to be better in the long run.

Levs said:
Raw, raw, raw no dogs should be fed anything else!
Totally agree! My black greyhound Freddie (ex-racer) had baldy bum when he came to live with me and I could not get the hair to grow on it. Then I switched to raw food and he now has a lovely furry bum and shiny coat. :thumbsup: I have recently added Burns to the diet and that works really well too. :)

Poos tend to be smaller on the raw diet and will crumble away. Don't tell him off if he has an "accident" in the house, but clear it up quietly when he isn't looking. If you make a fuss when he goes in the wrong place, all you are teaching him is to do it somewhere when you are not around and can't catch him! When he goes outside in the right place, give him loads of fuss and attention and don't worry what the neighbours think! :lol:

We changed our young lurcher to Oscars about 6 weeks ago and the change in his coat and digestive system has been amazing. Would heartily recommend it.

My Greyhound/deerhound is really fussy with food we have tried allsorts. The only one she'll eat is a hi-life moist food

I feed mine Pro Plan dried complete. My dogs love it and their coats are glorious.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back