The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Lures

RealMadYid

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My young dog untill today had only ever seen an outside lure, and he has run pretty well. Today, we trialled him him on an inside lure, this confused him no end. Bert Madgwick who was with us said he was always looking right (for the outside lure) and lost at least a 5 yards on his solo...

Later we tried him with 2 other dogs, and did the same, but because he was looking to the right (he may be be a bit dim :) ) he bashed straight into the dog on his right...

Now, should we have a single standard? Inside or outside? As this means no champs this year, not because I'd expect good things, but to have a fair crack...as trialling at bend tracks isn't cheap as we all know...Can we really expect to prepare for both, and hope the dog gets it right on the day...?

Anyhow, Bert's 2 four 1 was excellent, and as a 19 pounder it will do well at the champs, it knows an inside lure :p

Paul

I myself have been trailing Amazing Grace to an outside lure , on Thursday night i went to asken to try her to inside and she lost it on the last bend and stopped , i gave her a rest and put her back round and she went okay ...so keep trying Paul

Cheers to the both of ya...and you're both right...keep trying...but I 'm going to Warwick on Sunday with an outside lure, so as you can imagine, travelling 200 miles to an inside for the champs is a complete no-no...and I think a lot of people feel the same....we must have a standard, for the benefit of all..

Paul

I think if your dog runs wide paul, it will run beter on the inside hare, Mad Mick has run the last four years on the outside hare, and at over five years old he wins another golden jacket, he makes the change look easy. My own dog runs the inside hare much better than the outside to the point that I would retire him from outside hares, some dogs like mad mick can do it all, we have to be thankfull for one that runs the straights ok and can get by on the inside, you will have to deside what you have ! hope he surprises you.

Peter

I DONT SEE THE PROBLEM (INSIDE OR OUTSIDE HARE) DOGS RACE ALL SUMMER IN SIDE HARE ie FROM THE LEFT!. 'IF A RABBIT JUMPS UP IN FRONT OF A DOG ON A FIELD DO'S IT MATTER WHICH SIDE IT COMES FROM FOR THE DOG TO CHASE'.

Paul, we travel a minimum of 2 hours every time we go away sometimes twice a week, Saturday and Sunday and a mid weeker as well if we can manage it!

Get yourself to the champs-who knows you have to be in it to win it as the saying goes-yes some run better to inside, some better to outside, some don't go round at all. We have specimens of all, but personally the only one we have that won't go round is a very nervous insecure dog that will only run to us, we got her late. The previous poster BEYOND has a point.

I would recommend schooling from a very early age as we have done with all of ours bar one.

We like inside hare for schooling as it makes them rail better but later outside for racing, less accidents on bends.

Only our opinion. Others may differ!

I prefer inside personally, on the most part it discourages wide running as the others have said. Luckily thought my bitch likes to take the inside if possible whichever lure she runs (she cottoned on that it is shorter round the inside of the bend) :D

i agree with neil and beyond, greyhounds race to both all the time ,a good dog will chase either. but could cause confusion for schooling for a while ..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back