The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Luxating patella

lorna@escape

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Urgent help and advice needed for my Westie who has been diagnosed with a luxating patella. At the moment she is having a dog supplement Nutraquin+ and has just been prescribed Rimadyl anti inflammatory. Neither are having an effect and she can't even put her hind leg down at all now. She has and is still having complete rest. Carried up and down the stairs. No walks this week

Unfortunately I have no insurance for Nell. I am saving for her to have X-rays so I know what I am dealing with.

I am desperate for any help and advice please.

Thank you in advance

Lorna

X

I'm sorry that your poor dog has this...it can be a genetic thing or due to injury. Whatever the cause there are different grades of severity.Some can be managed with drugs some not. It sounds as if an x-ray is needed to tell you how bad it is and if surgery is needed. If money is the problem can you ask your vet if he would be willing to let you pay for the x-ray in instalments? Some vets will so long as you are genuine and keep your word. Why not ask?

Not every dog with the condition needs an operation so there's hope. Once you find out for sure you can start to think about coping with the result. There are charities that will help in cases of an animal's distress. PDSA for instance. Good luck.

Thank your for responding so quickly. Nellie has Level 3 apparently. It only goes to level 4. I tried looking at the PDSA this eve but their website was down. I'm going to ring them in the morning. My vet said they can set up a finance for me which will be a great help.

I know lots of Jack Russell's have this condition and manage without surgery. I just wish I knew if Nellie was in pain/discomfort with this. It appears so because she stops to lick her leg as if she doesn't know where the pain is coming from. Can't stand the thought of her being in pain . Many thanks again for getting back to me.

Ok well let us know how you get on. I know it's so hard when your dog is suffering,,,we lost our old boy last year and it was the worst thing I've been through.

Don't despair. Nellie at least is treatable. I'm sure you'll muddle through together!

My dog is a grade four and is having surgery soon at the pdsa. She is currently recovering from some dental work (she had six teeth out). It's horrible to watch .....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back