The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Major Problem

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
urchin said:
The most useful thing I did with mine was to teach them a toilet command.
Any time you're outside with her and she wees you need to go into jubilation overload "good WEE, Oh what a good WEE, clever girl having a WEE" (you might want to pick a different word!)  :b

Keep repeating it and you really do have to sound like you're absolutely thrilled (and you are, right?)

Do it every time you're out and she wees (or poos - different word tho teehee!) and it really doesn't take long for them to understand the word. Then you have a command.

If my boys are dallying about too busy taking the air to get amongst, I only have to start doing the 'Have a WEE, digit have a WEE' thing and he soon obliges.

any accidents she has in the house, clean up in secret - drawn no attention to them whatsoever.

As others have said, it's only worth scolding if you catch her in the act - otherwise she won't have a clue. Digit went through a phase of cocking his leg in the house (other people's houses  (w00t) , not mine!) when he was about 12 months old. It was territory marking, not being desperate for a wee. What I did was watch him like a hawk and got to know the expression on his face as he sidled up to something and so could give him a very sharp NO! just as he was about to cock his leg!

This worked a treat, i could usually get him before his foot was more than a couple of inches off the floor. If you watch fern closely, I bet she does something that gives the game away.

Other stuff you've been told about going right back to puppy wee breaks (every 1/2 - 1 hour) and clean up with bio wash powder are spot on.  :thumbsup:
I've always done this too (making the encouraging noise while you're outside housetraining a puppy or older dog). I expect my neighbours think I'm mad, but then they don't have dogs - perhaps I think they're mad!! :D

I don't know if you've had to housetrain a dog before, Fern (and welcome to K9 by the way :) ) - but you need to go outside with them when you're teaching them.

It's only when a dog is properly housetrained that you can let them go outside in the garden to toilet, and they know what they are out there for.

It means going out in the wind, the rain, at night, etc, so that when your girl toilets, you can praise her instantly and use whatever magic phrase you want her to associate with her action.

Possibly she was never reliably housetrained before and so she is confused by the change in her routine.

I am sure you will enjoy your new dog, and I think you are absolutely right, children who grow up with dogs and who are taught to respect animals and behave well with them, learn such a lot, and have such a lot of fun too.

Welcome to this board, and if you ever have any questions I hope you'll feel comfortable asking them, we all love dogs on here and want to help others when we can.

And we need photos, please! ;) :) :)

best wishes

Gill

Hallo!

I'm glad you have asked for advice as everyone on K9 always has the dog's best interests at heart and will provide all the answers you could ever want!!

Like many, I don't believe you have a problem - Fern is just being a normal young, and confused, whippet :)

Back to basics is the best advice and training by 'positive reinforcement' is the answer .... I've spent hours over the last 6-7 months standing outside, come rain or shine, repeating 'go wee wee', go poo' until I get the desired result :lol: Then it's ecstatic joy and major amounts of praise and scratching round the neck area and between the front legs as a reward (the whippets .... not mine (w00t) ) If accidents happened I just quietly cleaned it up and carried on - not point in putting the dog outside after the event as it will only learn to wee on the floor in order to get you to put her out!!

Anyway, I did notice that you mentioned a while back in the thread that you had given Fern treats for doing her toilet outside :unsure: As whippets are incredibly clever, I'm wondering if she has linked the weeing to the treat and is therefore now weeing to get a treat? Possibly better not to give treats for wees and poos, then?

I'm sure this will all sort out very soon with a little patience but please don't get cross with Fern again ..... if my little Ella has an accident (she had 2 yesterday) I only have myself to blame for not being aware of her need :(

Good luck and let's see the pictures soon :thumbsup: :huggles:

The first thing i would do is to deny (or at least restrict) the dog access to the area where she has been urinating, if that is possible. You are doing the right thing using bleach, bleach is the best deodorising and disinfecting agent. It is also safe, as long as you do not breath the vapor (do not use it with the children near), but it does not leave toxic residue. That is why it is used widely around the world to treat drinking water. So if you have washable surfaces, once you mop it with bleach solution there should be no smell the dog could pick up.

As other already said, one week is not long enough for Fern to settle in. In my experience it takes about 6 months for dog to really be at home in a new environment. :)

In meanwhile it will take bit of effort, and more effort you will put in Fern now, faster she will learn. Maybe she is cold so does not want to ask to go out??? Can you rug her when taking her out? When i am housetraining dogs/pups i never just put them outside, always stay with them.

For Fern it is a big difference being let out with 10 others, all running out and doing wee in unison, to going out there alone. :)

I would start from the beginning, like if she was 2 months old, but progress lot faster. First take her out (rugged) once an hour and crate her when you cannot watch her. As long as all is well extend the intervals, according to how frequently she actually wees outside.

Also remember that many Whippets do not like to go out in rain :)

Hope Fern will be fine, but i do not think bit of dog wee is the worst that kids can get their hands into :) . We lived in the country and I found my toddlers to stuff all sort of things in their mouths. One was caught with mouthful of snails once :x Actually, bit of dirt supposes to prime their immune system and kids growing up in environment that is not too clean have less allergies than kids from spotless homes. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fern....Have things improved any ? Good advice given already so just to say...

a) Confine her to kitchen in a crate.

b) Keep taking her out every two hours for a run around the garden and a chance to toilet.

c) Never scold....We all know it`s annoying but ONLY PRAISE...You`ll get there in the end. ...you really will.

If you scold she will only become confused and unhappy. It is your duty to her to give her the best chance you can....You are the owner...She is the dog.She will only come to fear you , not love you.

Rescues are full of poor dogs who have never been given the chance they deserve.....Usually all they need is your time, patience and love. If you don`t have the time or the will to do this...You shouldn`t have any dog.

One of my Jack Russells ( Millie) was 11 months old and had had FIVE homes and in/out rescue....do you know why ?.....Because all her woners had said they couldn`t get her clean in the house.

I brought her home and had a similar problem to you. I`ve had dogs all my life and never had any problem house training a pupppy or older dog...Millie was a challenge to say the least....She was totally confused, bless her.

I did what I mentioned above and yes...It did take longer than normal, yes I felt annoyed sometimes but I never gave up and within a few months I had a lovely clean little dog !! She is now 6 years old and still clean , an absolute joy. She never looked back !

Please, please give her that chance. You owe it to her. If you really can`t manage and you do have your hands full..Then do find a loving home for her. Make sure it is someone who can give her the time and love she deserves.

There is a lady on here somewhere looking for a Whippet...If you really can`t cope, then you could have a word with her and maybe she would be ideal for her.

christmas is just around the corner and you will be busy with young children in the house....Please don`t take it out on the dog...If you really can`t cope....come back and try to find a home for her....maybe someone on here can help.

Where are you by the way ?...i do hope things go better for you. :huggles:

My first reaction to your post on hitting Fern, :rant: , well you know you did wrong, never hit a dog, it's almost always your fault what the dog does wrong

Like other have said treat Fern like a puppy, a tiny puppy aged, say 8 weeks, out when her eyes open or had a belly full of food or if she looks at you funny, (Robbie and Colt did :lol: )

She will tell you when she needs out, all my 3 ask in a different way :p , you will know her sighn for out, by a week, if you have her in the same room as you. Dogs are predictable (SP) :oops: ,, you soon reconise their sighn for out for a wee :D

Keep her in the same room as you, my lot (except for Colt :( as he's still caged in big room's) follow me around the house :unsure: :wacko:

She will learn very quickly where to go for a pee & poo, she just's needs a wee bit of understanding and time :thumbsup:

Love conquers all (sp again) if you love her, she will over come her weeing problem.

Ive had whippets for yrs now, long before my hubby and kids. I get a little tiny puppy and it will pee on the carpet, did that stop me getting Robbie when Gary was 22 months old or Rachel being just 4yrs old, no, Robbie did pee on the carpet, but right away, I got out the spray bottle and cleand his mess up :cheers: ,I got Robbie when snow was very bad, but he still went out into the garden and I froze with him :lol: :eek: Me saying TOILET ALL THE TIME :cheers: , Like all my pups he got the idea quickly, either freeze to death or do the toilet :oops:

Your Fern has has a rough time, not like my 3, well Colt has :oops: , but he's getting there :D He's still fully 100% house trained, but every dog in the world could have an accident :oops: ,,never hit/scold her, realy it's not her fault, dogs always want tp please thier owners :cheers:

Photo's of Fern soon I hope :cheers:

Up dates also :huggles:

I just wanted to add my bit to this, You have recieved some very good advice here. I foster dogs from different backgrounds on a regular basis and I am faced with dogs that occasionally soil in the house to ones that have never been housetrained. Here are a few rules you must stick to when dealing with this.

1. If there is a sudden change in toileting behaviour take your dog to the vet asap

2. NEVER scold a dog for toileting mistakes, completely ignore it. If you catch her in the middle of doing something calmly bring her outside to finish.

3. Always stay with her and praise her when she goes outside, (praise her even when you are on walks, every time she goes)

4. The best combination to clear up urine is a mix of non biological washing powder and vinegar in hot water. Bleach does not completely remove the smell of urine and dogs will return to the spot. Believe me on this one!

Just a note on smacking your dog, as you are now aware you should never hit any dog, no matter how lightly you do it. Whippets and other sighthounds are very sensitive dogs and tend to clam up and become unresponsive if they are trained with harsh methods. You should also try to refrain from shouting at your dog and instead respond with a firm "NO" As I mentioned this should not be done with toileting mistakes however. Giving attention to these mistakes could cause your dog to become worse or start toileting behind sofas or places where you cant see her do it. Please be gentle and patient with her. If you feel in your heart that you have taken on too much and your frustration is likely to cause you to smack again please think about what is best for this dog and consider placing her with someone that has more time and patience for her. I wish you all the best and hope you update here on how you are getting on. Good luck :luck:

MY UPDATES

There's been a astonishing U-turn on the matter, Fern hasn't messed up the front room at all so far! I am so pleased, it's thrilling. If this continues till tomorrow, then maybe I've either solved the matter or I am getting there.

Thank fully my relationship with Fern is still very intact, she's still following me everywhere, and doesn't seem at all faded by what happened yesterday and not showing any cowering behaviour.

A big thank you to 'Whippetwise', for telling me a few straight forward facts especially about non-bio washing powder and vinegar, you were very clear, weren't too emotional about it! I will do this if any more toileting accidents occurred. The future is looking brighter for Fern and me now, we have both made-up and I've spoiled her rotten last night and hubby's bought her a bone. Fern's going to the vet's this afternoon for a check-up.

I think I reacted how I did, is because I have seen plenty of people out in the public eye say "Oi!" to their dogs with a tap, push, nudge, poke, smack etc. when their dogs' misbehaving.

I will give you all another update on Fern progress tomorrow and on what the Vet's says.

Thank you all!!! I was nearly on the verge of depair yesterday!

:)

hope everything continues on the right track for you :huggles:

After reading this thread, there has been some superb advice on here and great to read your positive update - lets hope it continues for you :thumbsup: Now you can really start to enjoy having your new whippet addition with you :huggles: :luck:

Aww thank you! Fern came from a distance family member of mine, who's gets into a habit on taking in a bit too many all breeds of dogs from all walks of life (mainly his wife). Half of my family and his friends had taken on some of his dogs over the years. Fern stood out.

I will give him a bell, to get some extra back ground info. He is a rather eccentric but lovely chap!

:wub:

At least you are doing all you can, and getting extra information on Fern's background is always going to help, but now its a fresh start for you both, so I am sure it will all go well - be postive and look forward to your updates and even a pic :D :huggles:

So pleased things are improving with Fern and I am sure will continue to do so. Its still early days.

I do admire the way you have taken advice and some criticism so positively.

:luck: Best wishes for a very happy future with Fern :thumbsup:

Pauline

I really hope that things continue to improve for you both. I am sure if you need any more advice then this is the place to come. With so many people on here with dogs that have come from all sorts of situations then I'm sure that any problems you have will have been encountered before by someone else and they can then pass on what has worked for them. Every dog is different but it's a bit like children, you soon find what works for you and your child.

:luck: :luck: I'm glad you've had a positive day, there will be setbacks every now and again but hopefully you will be able to overcome them and enjoy having Fern as a member of your family. :)

That's good news :thumbsup:

Really glad to hear that things are now going well :D :cheers:

as everyone else has said go back to basics. IGNORE mistakes made in the house and really really praise her for going outside,(you scalding her is still attention even if its negative) even use a special word to emphasise your joy and she will soon get the hang of it. A week is not long at all and you need to see things fom her point of view..new house, new smells new routine, new people. SDhe may be a little overwhelmed. I would get her checked out at vets asap and rule out an underlying physical casue. Have you thought of DAP diffuser to help calm and reassure..ask your vet about it. She is used to living in a dog pack and now has to adjust to a human one so she needs time to ajust to this. If there is no physical reason then it may be insecurity and urinating in the house may make her feel more secure? Also make sure she has a place to go away from all the goings on in the house that is quiet and snug as this is important too.

UPDATES

Anyway I gave my family member a 'bell', just before I went out the door to the Vets. It's has turned out that Fern HASN'T been spayed after all (sometimes doesn't know whether he's is coming or going, bless him!). Fern had been allowed to foul in the house sometimes, because some of his other dogs tend do so.

Still took Fern to the Vets anyway, it's has turned out she is OK. I was advised to have her spayed, not now but later because of my circumstances. The Vet said the behaviour problems usually show up once the dog has settled in, they show up out of habit from the previous owner.

P.S. Fern hasn't done any more toileting so far, and I have been watching her like a hawk! It's working and say I "No" when she's look like she thinking about it. She has got her own quiet private sleeping quarters.

Anyway I wish you ALL a V e r y M e r r y C h r i s t m a s & H A P P Y N E W Y E A R!

o:)

Will come back again if there are any other problems that need ironing out with your advice. ;)

Also special thanks to the person who mentioned the crate for when I go out, good on you there :thumbsup: .

OK EVERYONE ENOUGH ABOUT HER TAPING THE DOG I AM SURE SHE FEELS BAD ENOUGH

HI THERE I AM MAD ON DOGS IVE GOT 2 THERE LIKE MY BABYS I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM I ALSO HAVE A 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND WHEN SHE WAS A BABY I HAD MY FIRST DOG A JRT AND IT WAS A NIGHTMAIR I JUST COULDENT COPE IN THE END I HAD TO RE HOME THE DOG IT BROKE MY HEART BUT HAVING A BABY HAD TO COME FIRST THE DOG WAS THE WAY HE WAS CUS HE DIDENT GET WHAT HE NEEDED FROM ME. ANYWAY I AM NOT SAYING RE HOME THE DOG OR COMPAIRING ME TO YOU AT ALL I AM JUST SAYING ITS HARD. I WAITED TILL 3 YEARS AGO TO GET MY DOGS WE HAVE A SMALL HOLDING SO ITS EACY WE HAVE GIVEN THEM LOADS OF LOVE THEY NO HO THE BOSS IS THERE BOTH SO WELL BEHAVED AND NOW I AM HAVING ANOTHER BABY HOPE IT ALL GOS WELL. I HAVE TO SAY THOUGH IF IT DOESENT IDE BE MORE LIKELY TO RE HOME THE BABY THAN MY DOGS HA HA

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back