The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Male Fertility

lalena

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i've been looking on faq about the male side of breeding, and though i found a thread about the age that fertility declines :thumbsup: i'm curious as to what age they become fertile :blink: what age, if the dog is to studded, should he be first used etc? there is a wealth of information regarding bitches here, so could k9'ers contribute their experiences of dog management?

any advice would be great :thumbsup:

I used a 7 mth old Barnesmore dog (pup) a few years ago. Result 7 pups :thumbsup:

how do you get him to 'perform'? by what age should a dog have been first used?

lalena said:
Most don't need any assistance - the dog i used on Ella was 8 years old when he mated his first bitch, Ella was his third and he was 10 = result 5 pups.

At 5 months old my boys knew EXACTLY what they were doing (just didn't realise they shouldn't be humping mum!)

Vicky said:
lalena said:
Most don't need any assistance - the dog i used on Ella was 8 years old when he mated his first bitch, Ella was his third and he was 10 = result 5 pups.

At 5 months old my boys knew EXACTLY what they were doing (just didn't realise they shouldn't be humping mum!)

thats the stage dante is at :oops: ambers brother wont stud :b he's 2 1/2yrs old now, and frankly is clueless :lol: his owners were told he should have been tried before he reached 13mths, but the general consensus is he's 'not that way inclined' :- "

ive used my own stud at 9 months.i think they should be used young as i know a few folk who have left it a bit late and its almost impossible and this is with dobes who are renowned for their flirty ways! :- " i tried using a particular dog who was too humanised and despite trying him with numerous bitches of ours who were all proven he wasnt having it.he was the only dog and didnt mix much with other dogs.he kept going back to his mum for reassurance as if to say what do i do now mum! (w00t) ive owned a number of studs over the years and the best one i had wouldnt even look at a bitch until she was exactly right.another would mate anything that wasnt nailed down!his attitude was if it moves **** it!lol! o:)

:lol: wouldnt catch me going near a dobe with that mind set :lol:

the funniest thing i ever saw was when a very posh woman came down to use him at stud and he got a sniff of the womans bitch!that was it!he went into overdrive!it took 2 of us to drag him off her (his legs were locked around her waist and hed knocked her over so she was prone!)after shed recovered she said, 'hes very keen isnt he!' (w00t) :lol:

he added new meaning to the saying if im not there start without me! o:)

pmsl! i can just picture it :lol:

but how do you find a suitable mate? dante is 6mths now, and he's noticing females, ie MUM, so i'd like him to get some time with a lady :b so far, we've only had offers from people whose bitches arent suitable :(

lalena said:
pmsl! i can just picture it :lol: but how do you find a suitable mate? dante is 6mths now, and he's noticing females, ie MUM, so i'd like him to get some time with a lady :b so far, we've only had offers from people whose bitches arent suitable :(

What a mother in law you'd make Lalena :lol: "sorry she's not good enough for my boy"

*Lesley* said:
lalena said:
pmsl! i can just picture it :lol: but how do you find a suitable mate? dante is 6mths now, and he's noticing females, ie MUM, so i'd like him to get some time with a lady :b so far, we've only had offers from people whose bitches arent suitable :(

What a mother in law you'd make Lalena :lol: "sorry she's not good enough for my boy"

:p i'm not that bad! do you know, its taken years for mine to thaw out? god, she even had a dig about how i wasnt feeding 'her precious grandson' right! ok, lets just not go there :- "

what i mean by not suitable is that the bitches in question are too young, not k.c reg, bah..not even pure stafford :wacko: i'm not going to let him cover a bitch less than 18mths, and i'd want to keep a bitch from a mating to show and breed from, so she needs to be pedigree :lol:

well this is just my opinion and my experiences in the breeds ive had.but if i had to give any advice about using a pet at stud it would be DON'T!imo when they are used at stud they get more aggressive especially towards other males,they pee all over the place leaving calling cards for any available females and they just arent your baby any more.also if they get the chance to get out they will and will roam for miles looking for a female and if you are going to stud them you have to be sure that you can keep him happy with a supply of bitches,i mean once having allowed sex to rear its head its so unfair not to let them have it as a regular part of life.i once had a stud that we had to take to the vets as he had really bad raised lumps all over his body.this was a very popular stud who on average was mating bitches every month.there came a time when he went for a few months without mating and because of this his blood pressure went through the roof and he was frustrated!it affected him by large hives erupting all over his body.when my vet explained what was wrong we rectified the situation and he was back to normal and his hives had gone within 24 hours.what im saying is if hes your baby and you dont want him to change then dont stud him.im sure theres folk on here who will say their dog has been used at stud with no adverse effects.im just saying what my experiences were over a period of over 30 years breeding.there were a lot of folk who had males from us and theyd been asked by other folk could they use them at stud and theyd ring me up and ask my opinion so i told them to forget it and why.its like comparing a stallion to gelding.what theyve never had they never miss. :- "

he's going to be shown during 2006, if he was just going to be a pet i'd have him done. i know what youre saying, though. a friends dog was used earlier in the year for the first time, he must be at least 7yrs old, since then he's become an escape artist, keeps getting into fights, poor marley only has one ear left from scrapping :( and his owners are desperate to get him either remated or he'll have to be fixed, because his behaviour isnt ideal with two very young children in the house :(

dante has good breeding, good conformation and a lovely, if stubborn, character. having seen some of the staffords out there (butt ugly, and bad tempered) i do think he could make a contribution to the breed :) i want to breed to the best standard i can :thumbsup:

when i say pet im not discriminating between pet and show.i mean a dog that lives in the house as part of the family.(sorry should have explained this better!)anyway,if havin taken on board the above info and youre prepared for all eventualities and you get an enquiry from a suitable bitch and her owners then id say go for it! :D ps dont feed him before the mating.chances are hell be sick! :thumbsup:

lalena said:
*Lesley* said:
lalena said:

:p i'm not that bad! do you know, its taken years for mine to thaw out? god, she even had a dig about how i wasnt feeding 'her precious grandson' right! ok, lets just not go there :- "

what i mean by not suitable is that the bitches in question are too young, not k.c reg, bah..not even pure stafford :wacko: i'm not going to let him cover a bitch less than 18mths, and i'd want to keep a bitch from a mating to show and breed from, so she needs to be pedigree :lol:

I'm only kidding Lalena :- " I don't blame you for being particular for your lovely boy I would be too :wub:

I think I must be blessed because my mother in law is fab, she even sides with me because she knows what a pain in the **** he son can be( actually I think she's thankful that I took him off her hands) :lol:

kris said:
when i say pet im not discriminating between pet and show.i mean a dog that lives in the house as part of the family.(sorry should have explained this better!)anyway,if havin taken on board the above info and youre prepared for all eventualities and you get an enquiry from a suitable bitch and her owners then id say go for it! :D ps dont feed him before the mating.chances are hell be sick! :thumbsup:
:lol: overexcitement? i've given a lot of thought into breeding and showing, and its what i want to do with my life :b give me four legs over two any day :D

*Lesley* said:
lalena said:
*Lesley* said:
lalena said:

I'm only kidding Lalena :- " I don't blame you for being particular for your lovely boy I would be too :wub:

I think I must be blessed because my mother in law is fab, she even sides with me because she knows what a pain in the **** he son can be( actually I think she's thankful that I took him off her hands) :lol:

wanna swap :p stephen is his mothers 'golden child', :x mind you, i'm getting on with her so much better since she moved 700 miles away (w00t) absence makes the heart fonder and all that :- " still cant cope with more than 2 minutes on the phone, though :p

lalena said:
*Lesley* said:
lalena said:
*Lesley* said:
lalena said:

wanna swap :p stephen is his mothers 'golden child', :x mind you, i'm getting on with her so much better since she moved 700 miles away (w00t) absence makes the heart fonder and all that :- " still cant cope with more than 2 minutes on the phone, though :p

mine lives 3 doors away (w00t) so it's a good job we get on :lol:

kris said:
the funniest thing i ever saw was when a very posh woman came down to use him at stud and he got  a sniff of the womans bitch!that was it!he went into overdrive!it took 2 of us to drag him off her (his legs were locked around her waist and hed knocked her over so she was prone!)after shed recovered she said, 'hes very keen isnt he!' (w00t)   :lol: he added new meaning to the saying if im not there start without me! o:)

PMSL Thats sounds so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think maybe breeds are different Kris . My boys only get the `odd :b stud now and I dont have any leg cocking or escaping dogs :sweating: , Harvee tried his best to mate his mum and Buffee when they came into season 5 weeks ago , I would have let him mate Buffee , but he couldnt quite `reach the spot ` :( and then his dad beat him to it any way ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
youre right hun.different breeds react differently.ive spent many a cold night on my hands and knees in our garage with various assorted dogs over the years from top winning irish greys to small dachshunds.all of whom were maiden dogs and the owners were desperate to get them mated and didnt have a clue.when youre mad enough to help folk word soon gets round and folk from all breeds land on your doorstep needing help! (w00t) i think dobies because they are quite a tough breed can tend to be a bit aggressive when theyve been used at stud.the dog in question i was on about got a lot of stud work cos he was the only male from the litter that stayed in the uk everything else went abroad.sire was the top stud and mum the top champion bitch and yes i paid an arm and a leg for him,but i turned away more bitches than he mated either cos the bitch was unsuitable or the owners were!i think whippys would be quite laid back cos thats how whippys are but i think lalenas dog is a staffy so i thought she might be better knowing what she was getting into.my stud dog has in the past dragged me across a field(with a halti on!) to try to get to a male dog.and no he didnt want to say hello! :- "

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back