The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Mast cell tumor and Antihistamines

TT_love

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

This is my first post, motivated sadly by my 14 year old Tibetan Terrier likely having a mast cell tumor, just waiting on the FNA results.

I have been reading that antihistamines can help as they reduce the histamine that causes the tumour.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this or knew more. I feel a little helpless as we wait. I just don't feel overly confident with the vet, our surgery has many, some great and others not so.

At the moment my TT seems fine, she is eatting well, drinking, going out. She is more sleepy, but at 14 she will be.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've heard that too, but obviously please talk to your vet before doing anything. I couldn't find the source of my information, the page I had bookmarked has been moved.

I'm sorry your Tib isn't well. Could you ask to see a different vet at the practice? You could just say that it's always worth getting a second opinion, or that your dog particularly likes that vet.

I've heard that too, but obviously please talk to your vet before doing anything. I couldn't find the source of my information, the page I had bookmarked has been moved.

I'm sorry your Tib isn't well. Could you ask to see a different vet at the practice? You could just say that it's always worth getting a second opinion, or that your dog particularly likes that vet.

Thank you for the replies. We moved recently back to London and used to have a wonderful mobile vet who would visit the house. Always the same person. I am thinking of maybe calling them, they do have a practice on a farm.
Although I'm not sure if vets are comfortable with a change back out of the area. Although it's only 45mins away.

We have two TT's and we actually took the younger one in the day before I spotted the lump on my older dog. That vet checked her weight, and listened to her heart etc etc.

I had none of this with the other vet we saw. I guess on the plus side they took a sample quickly as I have read on the forum other people were told to wait to see how the lump behaved.

I won't give her anything before speaking to the vet. This lump has appeared quite quickly as I groom her regularly and it wasn't there last week.

I am sorry to hear this, it always the worst time when you don't know. I would give the vets you know a call, if you're prepared to drive to see them I can't think why they would have a problem with it. At the very least it's worth a phone call as this is a vet you trust and knows your dogs. (And I also have to agree with Judy about asking to see a different vet if need be at your current practice)

I am sorry to hear this, it always the worst time when you don't know. I would give the vets you know a call, if you're prepared to drive to see them I can't think why they would have a problem with it. At the very least it's worth a phone call as this is a vet you trust and knows your dogs. (And I also have to agree with Judy about asking to see a different vet if need be at your current practice)
Thank you. I will see what happens when the results come back and then contact our previous vet.

Out of interest does anyone know what the procedure is for removal? Currently it's quite small.

Do they use a general anesthetic?

We caught early pyometra this time last year, so a major op. I hoped they could cut this out with a local.

I don't want to keep putting her through these surgeries.

If it's confirmed as a cancer then I gather they remove it and test it to see how aggressive it is.

As she is 14 I'm not going down the road of any full on treatments

I have my fingers crossed its just a Histiocytoma, but I believe that is more common in younger dogs.

does anyone know what the procedure is for removal?
Yes, my dog had a MCT a number of years ago. It was removed under GA just as you said, they got clear margins and it has never recurred.

I think you said it came up suddenly, I'd take that as something to be optimistic about. My dog's one developed slowly. Obviously there's no guarantees, I'm not a vet and I haven't seen your dog but fingers crossed. You will let us know, won't you?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back