The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Master Mcgrath Challenge

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Approaching nearly 1000 views on this topic. Albert you should be giving me a couple of free tickets for the Sunday at Shanes Castle for all this advertising.

Maybe u might get free tickets to the royal Victoria Hospiyal. If u keep this 1 going boy. Its gona end up out of control. N cause fall outs. Like the old day's on here. Dnt 4get. Greyhounds can and will, get beaten by properly bred racedogs. Its been happening for years. Most greyhounds aren't suited to 150 yrd sprints. Especialy as they will have to play catchup. Wen it comes 2 the Master McGrath final. My money is on an under 23 dog/bitch winning the final. Not a 70lbr. Dannyboy is bred from a 17lb whippet. N he has beaten a few ggreyhounds in his time. Including marked 1s. So don't matter realy. Pity he's crippled now. Cuz things wud hav been very interesting.

[quote name='dazgail' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:39 PM' post='1092134'

Me either. Read the very first original post? Why are there so many dogs at present who are rumoured to be greyhounds? Again is it ok to race greyhounds at lurcher shows?

So this post was all about a rumour and a few ifs

Again read the original post. It's a fact there are way more dogs are accused of being greyhounds than ever before. Why?

Folks, can we get back to the original topic. We all know that if you wish to be successful on the lurcher racing scene that ones dog must contain a lot of greyhound blood in the breeding or saturated as it has been put. But if people are knowingly breeding greyhound to greyhound, or racing a dog which they know to be bred from a greyhound to a greyhound mating and telling blatant lies about the breeding then it is cheating. It is a difficult thing to prove if there is a dog suspected of being a greyhound. I can think of 4 or 5 current dogs which are racing that are rumoured to be greyhounds. What is going on with the lurcher racing scene at the minute? Again is it because of bigger prizes and prize money at stake?
Is there a motive to this topic other than stir it up amongst the main compeditors Albert and alot of other folk have put a lot of time and effort into this event I know a few of the Qualifiers and would not say a bad word against any of them So we dont want this what coulld be a great days craick and sport ruined by someone with a bee in thier bonnet
perfect answer , to all you shit stirrers ????

It's a fact there are way more dogs accused of being greyhounds than ever before. Why?

In the past maybe a dog every couple of years breeding was questioned, sometimes years went past without any, this is a fact, but now there are so many. Why?

This is what the original post was asking.

lads its the lowest think to do is cheat like tat how could anyone do it and as for the lads on about dogs chasing plastic bags its everyone to there own live and let live lads....i do alot of sports and see people blowing there mouts off go out the fields wit them then slipping three dogs at a big lad r even working terriers two to ground :angry: and then u ere these lads bragging and talking pure waffel so lads getting back to subject is there any way of testing these dogs for being full greyhounds to stop this shit and i will say well done to albert for doing such hard work i will be working wit him in birr this year r club will be running the racing there so only non peds lads no full hounds :thumbsup:

It's a fact there are way more dogs accused of being greyhounds than ever before. Why?In the past maybe a dog every couple of years breeding was questioned, sometimes years went past without any, this is a fact, but now there are so many. Why?

This is what the original post was asking.
I guess it is coz there is now big money at stake (£100's ) and it is hard to prove a longdog is not a lurcher....there are greyhounds running and alot of grews...and most, if not all, lurcher racing folk know it but we tolerate it (tho some moan about it) but these dogs are beatable. Most of those running the 'alleged' greyhounds run straights, I prefer simo and my little dog is cracking and I love to see him run as much as he loves to run which is why I and most lurcher folk race. He runs the track over winter to keep him fit and does the gamefairs over summer. Most the time there is no money involved just a rosette and a trophy. I admit that I dont work my dogs but that makes them no less of a lurcher or a racing dog....

I have no gripe bout what dogs are run to be honest, well cept for those that barge/ attack/ or in any other way interfere with dogs when running as this can put some dogs off and injure others.....

But then I not in it for the money :teehee:

Let's have roughs and smooths ran separately like they did 20/30 years :thumbsup: Although I did know a couple from Ripon with a rough bitch that was never beaten in racing

Den, Best of luck with Ronnie if you have him in comp. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Den, Best of luck with Ronnie if you have him in comp. :thumbsup:
cheers , was away galloping last night he's strained his tricept muscle , but i'll be working on it with the ultrasound , so heres hopefull

Approaching nearly 1000 views on this topic. Albert you should be giving me a couple of free tickets for the Sunday at Shanes Castle for all this advertising.
Thanks for the advertising! I launched this competition; the Five Nations Terrier one last year and the equivalent Five Nations Lurcher event this year to raise the profile of terrier & lurchers at our shows ;to give owners at least equal status and prizes to our other events and to give Irish owners the opportunity to compete on home soil against the best in these islands.

I think that Fairs are the places where competitors should seek to excel whether it be in clay pigeon shooting ; fly casting - our casting competitions have unearthed a teenage casting sensation and our gundog competitions. This is why I have sought to innovate with terrier & lurcher competitions of a similar standard. There is no doubt that the Master Mc Grath Challenge has stimulated a lot of interest and debate and lots of good ideas for other competitions.

Anyone who seeks to win such a competition with a greyhound is only fooling themselves BUT I feel that many such allegations are made out of envy.

In any case I consider that the shorter distance that we are running this over should NOT suit a greyhound!

This race will attract a great deal of public interest and I hope positive publicity for lurchers and in the future give people something to aim at AND I feel perhaps stimulate better record keeping of how individual dogs are bred.

Now back to the FREE tickets for Sunday - now peple know that I believe in people 'singing for their supper' and I am looking for three line judges for the Master McGrath. I have one who has nothing at all to do with lurchers; one hopefully from outside Ireland and you as a sceptic might be the ideal third!

AlbertJ

I`m lucky enough to have qualified my Ginger Jack for this competition and I was wondering how many qualifiers are there and what will be the format for the running of this competition ?

Best of luck to the organisers !

Thanks for the advertising! I launched this competition; the Five Nations Terrier one last year and the equivalent Five Nations Lurcher event this year to raise the profile of terrier & lurchers at our shows ;to give owners at least equal status and prizes to our other events and to give Irish owners the opportunity to compete on home soil against the best in these islands.

I think that Fairs are the places where competitors should seek to excel whether it be in clay pigeon shooting ; fly casting - our casting competitions have unearthed a teenage casting sensation and our gundog competitions. This is why I have sought to innovate with terrier & lurcher competitions of a similar standard. There is no doubt that the Master Mc Grath Challenge has stimulated a lot of interest and debate and lots of good ideas for other competitions.

Anyone who seeks to win such a competition with a greyhound is only fooling themselves BUT I feel that many such allegations are made out of envy.

In any case I consider that the shorter distance that we are running this over should NOT suit a greyhound!

This race will attract a great deal of public interest and I hope positive publicity for lurchers and in the future give people something to aim at AND I feel perhaps stimulate better record keeping of how individual dogs are bred.

Now back to the FREE tickets for Sunday - now peple know that I believe in people 'singing for their supper' and I am looking for three line judges for the Master McGrath. I have one who has nothing at all to do with lurchers; one hopefully from outside Ireland and you as a sceptic might be the ideal third!

AlbertJ
Albert

When i posted my first post for free tickets the topic generated close to 1000 views but since then, plus the poll on which country the winning dog would hail from, the views have more than doubled to over 2000!!!, thats a lot of advertising. I feel it is only fair and proper to ask for free tickets for both days, saturday and sunday (w00t) . If you're short on a line judge i'm more than happy to assist. Someone said many years ago "Ask and you shall receive". I'm asking, not as a sceptic, but as a believer.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlbertJ
Albert

When i posted my first post for free tickets the topic generated close to 1000 views but since then, plus the poll on which country the winning dog would hail from, the views have more than doubled to over 2000!!!, thats a lot of advertising. I feel it is only fair and proper to ask for free tickets for both days, saturday and sunday (w00t) . If you're short on a line judge i'm more than happy to assist. Someone said many years ago "Ask and you shall receive". I'm asking, not as a sceptic, but as a believer.
Hahaha. U squeek wen u walk boy.Ur that tight lol. but it will b nice to c a good honest line judge.Cuz this one cud definately go dwn as a close won race. but i still recon an unders cud do the business.Especialy over the short distance. Its been proved on so many occasions.

which race is first? THE MASTER MCGRATH OR THE ALL IRELANDS

which race is first? THE MASTER MCGRATH OR THE ALL IRELANDS
Fra,

Proceedings will start at 1.00 on Saturday 25th June with the public draw for the Master Mc Grath heats. There will be 4 or 5 heats with the winner of each heat going through to the final.

There will be three line judges. One lurcher enthusiast and two independent judges . In the event of a 'photo' finish - majority of line judges make the decision. Although there is also a nice prize a £250 watch for runner up.

I will be present at all facets of this event.

After the Master Mc Grath there will be the normal All Ireland Racing over the longer distance.

Albert

good :luck: to all racing this weekend hope all dogs come off safe and sound once again :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back