The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

May Have A Field With Rabbits

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I put an ad on our internet in work (i work with the police) and one of the officers has posted this back to me.

Section 1 of the Hunting Act 2004 makes it an offence to hunt wild mammals with dogs

1 A person commits an offence if he hunts a wild mammal with a dog.

so now im confused

Kim and Tilly said:
I put an ad on our internet in work (i work with the police) and one of the officers has posted this back to me.
Section 1 of the Hunting Act 2004 makes it an offence to hunt wild mammals with dogs

so now im confused

The police are WRONG and it's about time they sorted the confusion out.

It is not illegal to hunt rabbits with dogs i regular hunt with a police officer and also know the local police wildlife officer very well.

Doing the job i do,i have to know the law.

It is legal to hunt rabbits with dogs AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE LANDOWNERS PERMISSION YOU ARE COMMITING NO OFFENCE IN DOING SO

MY ADVICE TO YOU KIM IS TELL YOUR GOOD HARDWORKING!! FRIENDS TO LOOK AT THE EXEMPTIONS IN THE HUNTING ACT

hope this helps

mally said:
Kim and Tilly said:

so now im confused

The police are WRONG and it's about time they sorted the confusion out.

It is not illegal to hunt rabbits with dogs i regular hunt with a police officer and also know the local police wildlife officer very well.

Doing the job i do,i have to know the law.

It is legal to hunt rabbits with dogs AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE LANDOWNERS PERMISSION YOU ARE COMMITING NO OFFENCE IN DOING SO

MY ADVICE TO YOU KIM IS TELL YOUR GOOD HARDWORKING!! FRIENDS TO LOOK AT THE EXEMPTIONS IN THE HUNTING ACT

hope this helps

i have i sent the officer in question the extract from the hunting law on exemtions...havent heard anythink back yet :- "

Kim

The amount of times ive heard this said about the hunting ban is suprising, and beleive it or not most of these comments come from people who have been out in the field for several years.

I suspect that the police officer that has sent you that snippet, has used the hunting ban to his advantage by not going into the detail and making it seem like its illegal to hunt rabbits, simply becuase he is against hunting in any form.

As has been said, the law states that using dogs to hunt wild mammals is now illegal, no more than two dogs can be used to flush wild mammals (subject to species i.e fox) to guns.

Exemptions from the hunting ban are rats and rabbits.

frodo baggins said:
I hate to say this, but giving dogs and ferrets milk  :(
Ive noticed on a few posts people mentioning this.

If you give ferrets milk it scoures them, runny shite yes?

Definatley a no no with ferrets. The days are long gone when people used to feed the ferrets on bread and milk, use either raw meat or get some the complete ferret foods and for drinks just plain old water.

Dogs can be funny with milk too, water it down if you have to give it to them.

Frodo you are quite right about ferrets not being fed entirely on Milk but a little bit in a bowl that it shares with a dog has never done mine any harm

Everone to their own i suppose, i'm just trying to advise healthy animal care.

Ive found to get dogs and ferrets used to one another, just get the ferrets out in the garden with the dogs as much as possible, you can never have too much interaction bewtween them.

Even better if you have young ferrets and young dogs together from the start.

My dogs and ferrets work toghether all the time, they know that each is part of the team :D

15jan35.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MURPHY 1 said:
frodo baggins said:
I hate to say this, but giving dogs and ferrets milk  :(
Ive noticed on a few posts people mentioning this.

If you give ferrets milk it scoures them, runny shite yes?

Definatley a no no with ferrets. The days are long gone when people used to feed the ferrets on bread and milk, use either raw meat or get some the complete ferret foods and for drinks just plain old water.

Dogs can be funny with milk too, water it down if you have to give it to them.

Frodo you are quite right about ferrets not being fed entirely on Milk but a little bit in a bowl that it shares with a dog has never done mine any harm

i've used the same method nigel for nearly 20 years mate, I only do it to get the dog and ferrets used to each other once the dog is broken to the ferrets and vica versa, there is no need to continue. I've never had a dog of mine go for a ferret when i've used this method so i'm sticking to it, but it is everyone to there own, but my opinion is if it's not broke don't fix it

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one is a bit long so be patient.

The little brindle dog is around 5 months old when this was taken.

First video

The second one is a few months later, and he is a bit more steady.

video 2

Hope you enjoy :D

great video's mate really well done, usefull dog too, looking forward to seeing more in the future :thumbsup:

Good stuff mr frodo keep em coming :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back