The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Metacam -for Your Info

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've cross-posted this here for peoples information. NOT to start a scare. It all helps I feel to aid in making informed decisions at the vets. Metacam is widely used. I've used it myself many times.

>Flynn, my 18 month old chocolate and white WSD was recently discovered to have a renal problem. She was put on 1/2 dose of Metacam for some pain/discomfort she had following being spayed a few weeks previous. After only 2 small doses she started to have very bloody stools, was vomiting, lethargic, trembling and was very poorly. She died last week after 6 days intensive treatment at the vets. They were very thorough in their examinations/blood tests/x-rays etc, they couldn't have done more, they were brilliant.

Metacam was not the direct cause of her death, but it aggravated her condition a lot. These

The anaesthetic also triggered the kidney problem which was probably there previously just lying waiting for something to bring it out.

I shall still continue to use the medication on veterinary advice, and shall have a urine and blood test done on a dog before using it to check for any kidney, liver or heart problem. On Metacams data sheet it says NOT to use it if any these conditions exist. No blood/urine test was done because she was very young. Lesson learned the hard way.

MetacamAn autopsy was done and her organs were sent to histology lab.

Permission to cross post this email if it can help other dogs.

Valerie

Poor dog, it sounds like she was a real mess physically anyway.

I understand why you posted this Beejay but you could have easily have posted it with a warning about anaesthesia or against any surgical procedures!!! Both animals and humans will sometimes have adverse reactions to a particular substance/medication but it does not necessarily mean that it is not of benefit to the vast majority.

I don't use Metacam but Rimadyl is a must in my Whippet First Aid box!

dessie said:
Poor dog, it sounds like she was a real mess physically anyway. 
I understand why you posted this Beejay but you could have easily have posted it with a warning about anaesthesia or against any surgical procedures!!!  Both animals and humans will sometimes have adverse reactions to a particular substance/medication but it does not necessarily mean that it is not of benefit to the vast majority.

I don't use Metacam but Rimadyl is a must in my Whippet First Aid box!

I do not agree with the above.

It is normal practise to do blood tests and check heart condition before anaesthesia - so the comparison does not exist.

Metacam CAN cause stomach ulcers too - therefore one has to be exceedingly diligent about making certain there is food already in the stomach when dosing.

Short periods of Metacam do have their place.

Rimadyl.... well that is another story.... I certainly would not use that... EVER again.

Made my dog very very sick.

Every drug has it's uses and being aware of the possible side-effects is important - Beejay's mail will have alerted those who were not already aware of the potential problems.

Sorry to hear about Flynn - we have to weigh up the pros and cons of using these drugs at times.

No one wants to see a dog in pain, and if they can tolerate Metacam, or Rimadyl - for that matter, then in the short term... it is worth a try.

Usually , if there are bad side effects and they are noticed immediately, the drug is halted immediately and the dog will return to normal.

We always have a bottle of Metacam in our 1st aid box (Just in case) unfortunatly there are always going to be cases like this where somthing hasnt agreed with the dogs concerned (or worse) but I think the benifits for me far out weigh the risk's.

I used metacam with my GSD for hip dysplasia, it was very effective but can cause stomach upsets. My vet and physio said if there is a stomach upset to stop using it as it can cause major stomach problems and bleeding that can result in death.

It is a useful drug but needs to be used carefully. I still keep it and Rimadyl in stock for my gh's but use it sparingly.

Sad story though. :(

Claire

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back