The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Microchipping

~whitecross whippets~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i was reading in a magazine today that you can erase the info on a microchip with a battery?...is this true?...has anyone heard of this before?

I've heard a very strong magnet will erase them ............I have my lot tattooed now ..........Including pup's I have bred :)

Strike Whippets said:
I've heard a very strong magnet will erase them ............I have my lot tattooed now ..........Including pup's I have bred  :)
i was put off tattooing by my vet cos of the worry that someone may cut it out??...what do you think.?...is that a worry?....how do you find your tattooist?

~whitecross whippets~ said:
Strike Whippets said:
I've heard a very strong magnet will erase them ............I have my lot tattooed now ..........Including pup's I have bred  :)
i was put off tattooing by my vet cos of the worry that someone may cut it out??...what do you think.?...is that a worry?....how do you find your tattooist?

It's swing's and roundabout's really ........I got put off microchip's due to them being easy to feel and cut out :( .......I have had 5 microchipped btw ......but IMHO I feel tattooing is the best route .......As for the lady who does our dog's/pup's ......my OH said her and her husband are really good .......I wouldn't know 'cos I go out with the pup's Mum when they are due round :b

wheres the best place to tattoo? if i went for it, i'd want a spot that isnt obvious to the casual observer, but not too hard to find should a rescue look for identifying marks.

yeah i would go out too!...lol... :oops: :b

i am shocked after my 2 were microchipped how much you can feel them....i have always had my dogs done but never felt them before...i presume its cos their skin is so thin...i might get them tattooed as well.....although ive got tattoos and they hurt alot :x .... although im sure it must be done differently to humans!..lol... (w00t)

:clown: i felt sick when i had to do their dna samples!!...lol...(cant believe i used to assist with autopsies!!!! :oops: ) but its different when its your own!!!! :( :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had all our dogs Micro Chipped. On the Bedlingtons you can find the chips if you are prepared to hunt as with both dogs the chips have moved. But have always been found using a detector!

We have heard of dogs over here (East of England) having their chips 'dug out' after they were stolen, and Greyhounds having their ears cut off to remove their tatoos. So there is no fool-proof way. However, when taking our dogs to Europe there is no choice - they have to be micro chipped!!

:(

Rob Rixon said:
We have had all our dogs Micro Chipped.  On the Bedlingtons you can find the chips if you are prepared to hunt as with both dogs the chips have moved.  But have always been found using a detector!We have heard of dogs over here (East of England) having their chips 'dug out' after they were stolen, and Greyhounds having their ears cut off to remove their tatoos.  So there is no fool-proof way.  However, when taking our dogs to Europe there is no choice - they have to be micro chipped!!

:(

oh yes...thats right....my dogs will be going to europe this year so i would have to have had them chipped anyway...id forgotten about that! :b

I for one can't feel Evies microchip but I am worried now that it could be wiped out by a battery (w00t)

Where did you read this info ?, it's scarey news this and I will be asking my vet about this when i go next and trying to find info on this topic.

Julie

Its true, it swings in roundabouts.

Tattoo's are easily seen so cut out or ears cut off easily, yet i've also heard that now dog theives buy themselves a scanner, locate the chip & hack it out. :(

Where do you go from here?

To be honest, they aren't safe whatever you do, but i choose a chip in the hope that if some peice of scum does take my dog, hopefully if he cant see it he may not think of it :- "

think we are fighting a losing battle :(

Nina

jue332 said:
I for one can't feel Evies microchip but I am worried now that it could be wiped out by a battery  (w00t)
Where did you read this info ?, it's scarey news this and I will be asking my vet about this when i go next and trying to find info on this topic.

Julie

it was just a dog mag....i cant remember which one but it was either "dogs today" or "your dog" :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can remember someone telling me years ago that chips can be located using a stud detector and that then they were dug out.

Dunno if it's true as I've never tried it. Got any DIY'ers in here?

When Zak was chipped it was done in the usual place...his neck. Last year he was in for his annual check and I asked the vet to check the chip was still working. The vet puts the scanner to zaks neck...nothing. So he checked the machine and did it again. Nothing. So he then moved the scanner all over zaks body...loe and behold...they chip was in his leg. After check ups by the vet it was found that it wasnt really bothering him there...the vet told me it might be a good idea to get a tag saying chip in leg or something like that. Madness eh? Lol. (w00t) (w00t)

yes we used to scan dogs when they came for a booster just to check the chip was still there....and on occasion they would turn up in bizarre places (w00t)

Mmmmm, I saw this post yesterday, so I put a chip in a box with a really strong magnet last night. I have just checked it and the chip is still reading perfectly. I don't quite know how to go about checking it with a battery, any ideas?

I know chips do migrate sometimes, but I have never heard of one going so far before!! All the local kennels and dog wardens sweep over the entire back and down the front of the body and legs if a chip is not read from the usual position of between the shoulder blades. If anyone should loose a dog with an oddly positioned chip, I would ensure that all the relevant people are notified as usual, but make sure that they know where the chip is located.

If one of these unscrupulous dog thieves got hold of the dog, it would be unlikely that they would check the leg if they were looking to cut out the chip!!

I know, my vet was stunned aswell. But we got a little tag now do heaven forbid if anything happens then they will know where to scan.

yes we used to scan all over including legs...we always found it eventually...but then i suppose we knew it was in there somewhere :lol: ....good idea a tag though :thumbsup:

:- " I too read this in my dog paper last year, so hot-footed it to the vet to ask her, as all mine wear magnetic collars and this she knows!! So we checked them all, and they all read OK, so was it scare tactics? Like Rob, all mine are chipped, and they can be felt, but what are the options? Do nothing, tatoo and have the ear cut off to remove the ID, or chip and have them cut out by a thief should the dog be stolen. If I was a dog, I know which one I would choose!!!

We do the best we can, and hope that they never need to be identified. :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back