The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Mini Schnauzer Won't Come Back

sharni

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
we have a 9 month old mini schnauzer x cocker spaniel called syd, which we take to our local park every morning. there is an open exit which leads to old people bungalows, who like to put food out (loaves - yes whole loaves!! of bread, bird feed mixed with lard, albran, chicken, etc) for the birds/foxes . syd used to go to the edge of the park exit, but would come back when called, untill a few weeks ago when he ventured out and found the left out food. now every morning without fail he goes out of the park to find the food without so much as a glance back. no type of recall has worked, im sure it's probably something we are doing/not doing but if anyone has any ideas that would really help, as it cant be good for his tummy eating all that food or in case something worse happens! thank you!!

I wouldn't let him off the lead until he does as he is told.

You can get excellent long horse lead reins to use in training etc which will allow a good free run but you can use if you need to recall and he refuses.

Welcome to Dog Forum - I am Anna :)

Do you have a picture of Syd?

thank for your advice, I shall give that a try!

thank you!!

how do I add a photo?

You can click on 'More Reply Options' and upload that way or if the pics too big, you can do it via photobucket..

Once youve uploaded it, I can add it to your profile if you like?

Yup files to big, how do I upload via photo bucket? (Sorry to be a pain!!)

Thank you!

Typical mini! Mine would do exactly the same!

Good advice from Anna - stick with the training - they are strong minded little dogs - even if they are only half mini!

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Hi Sharni

Yes, I'm with banana on this one. When I'm teaching recall for rescue dogs I usually advise people to buy a steel cored washing line, which costs only about a fiver, and use about half of that as a really long training line. When you're starting to allow them to leave your side you don't even really need to hold on to the end of the line- just either put a loop in the end that you put around your leg or tie something big on the end that you can put your foot on, then if they come back to you that's great, but if you need to haul them back then you can do that too.

Get your recall training going everywhere else apart from the park too, as the best preparatory work is done where you AREN'T in the presence of the distraction (in this case, the food) because that reinforces that when you're called, you go back. When you do go out to the park make sure that you have the very best treats that Syd likes, whether that's smelly cheese or chicken, in order that he doesn't feel he's being disadvantaged by returning to you.

My dog isn't really bothered by most treats and would rather carry on being naughtly than be good just to get a treat she doesn't like, so her treat of choice is dried black pudding. She'll happily ignore biscuits, but black pudding is worth missing out on the mayhem for :) Liver cake, cheese, chunks of hot dog sausage and chicken all have a good chance of being a good alternative to food left out for foxes.

It's also worth making sure that although it's not a good idea to exercise a dog on a full stomach, Syd shouldn't be hungry when going out for a walk, as that will diminish his will to gorge on left food just a little and increase your odds of teaching him to leave it.

Good luck :)

this is syd... butter wouldnt melt!!

no mum, i havnt been eating snow!!

224866_10152384262790294_1665580093_n.jpg

72895_10152481055620294_2130508155_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your advice, mum put him on his lead after he ran out the second time and he was as good as gold.

should we put him on his lead to start with, or should we give him one chance and then put him on his lead if he goes out?

I would keep him on it until you are confident he recalls...

In this instance its just bread but what if its something that has poison on it or if he dashes across a road?

He is utterly adorable.. you would forgive that face everything! :)

Nice to 'see' you too!

We have a chatty forum here too for non dog stuff - would love to chat more!

http://www.dogforum.co.uk/forum/22-the-dog-duck/

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back