The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Mirtazapine....anyone used it?

Shari

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Has anyone used this drug on dogs and for how long?
Tried it for a couple of days and appetite increased slightly, but he became very vocal.
Dropped it for one day just to see if there was any difference and he’s reverted to not eating
Not sure how long term this drug is safe for, will discuss with vet but would be good to hear experiences. Feeling worried

We used it for only four or five days. Did make him a bit jumpy as though his nerves were on edge.

We used it for only four or five days. Did make him a bit jumpy as though his nerves were on edge.
Yes I've noticed that too, also howls at night on and off, but very vocal generally, and as you say jumpy

I think it’s supposed to be safe, I’ve heard that they give it to cats when they have trouble weeing but as it’s an anti depressant it’s bound to have some effect on them mentally I would think.

Looks like it’s the side effects, surely there’s something else the vet could give him, bless him, it’s awful because they can’t tell us how they are feeling, thinking of you x
C2B95036-50C6-48CC-A3E3-E5873E895663.png

It's possible that the side-effects wear off after taking the drug for a while... your vet might know. Also, I've read that as with other antidepressants, you shouldn't come off it suddenly. Though this might be irrelevant if he only took it for a couple of days.

Another thought - diazepam is an appetite stimulant. My vet prescribed it for my long-haired cat who hated being groomed, and the cat would practically fall asleep with his face in his food bowl! Another of my cats was on it long-term for anxiety and tolerated it very well once we'd got the dose right. Something else to ask your vet?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back