The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

More/less Or The Same

since u have been racing are there more/less or the same amount of dogs racing now?

• more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less

• same

• Total voters

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
quite often people who have raced 4 loads of years say 20+ always say there used to be a lot more dogs racing all those years ago (20+) but imo and ive been racing approx 15years its roughly the same amount. just wondering wot everyone thinks?

WHEN I FIRST WENT TO MEASHAM 28 YEARS AGO THERE WAS ALOT MORE DOGS AND ALOT MORE PEAPLE AND THERE WAS LESS WEIGHT GROUPS THAN THERE ARE NOW SOFT TOUCH WON SURPREME

there are a lot less dogs now then there was in 1973 when i started racing, first open i attended was at west auckland think it was april 1973 i saw DASHER win, and there were approx 100 dogs and it was straight YD/LB no classes. GOOD OLD DAYS. i was at measham in 1980 when MO EVIL won supreme, there where approx 130 dogs competing and 150 bitches, NOTTS FOREST won the bitches,and they were the dogs that had qualified from their region so there would have been at least the same amount that did'nt qualify. and once again no scratch racing ;) there were 9 regions in those days :(

hi carol i started racing at dawdon in the early 80s my 1st dog was called moondancer and there was always at least 8 full heats i hope that answers your question :thumbsup:

When mum and dad ran Shireoaks WRC way back when, club handicaps could have 50 or more dogs, in a club handicap can you imagine that now, if we have 16 dogs on the programme we think we are doing well for a club race, no wonder we hadn't introduced ABCD format then :eek:

Just a personal opinion i do think when racing was 'all in' not classes it was far more interesting as you never knew who you would draw, where as often these days you will know who you will be up against in the classes before you have even weighed in. Also these days you don't necessarily have all the best dogs in the final, as sometimes the 4 best dogs of the day may be in one certain class (i do know occasionally when all in the best four could possibly be drawn together too) !!! You could also draw an easy heat or a hard heat depending on luck of the draw, yd/lb racing with varying distances from 150 - 175yds would love to see more 'all in racing' again not the usual classes. :) OK thats my blast from the past :eek:

When mum and dad ran Shireoaks WRC way back when, club handicaps could have 50 or more dogs, in a club handicap can you imagine that now, if we have 16 dogs on the programme we think we are doing well for a club race, no wonder we hadn't introduced ABCD format then :eek:
Just a personal opinion i do think when racing was 'all in' not classes it was far more interesting as you never knew who you would draw, where as often these days you will know who you will be up against in the classes before you have even weighed in. Also these days you don't necessarily have all the best dogs in the final, as sometimes the 4 best dogs of the day may be in one certain class (i do know occasionally when all in the best four could possibly be drawn together too) !!! You could also draw an easy heat or a hard heat depending on luck of the draw, yd/lb racing with varying distances from 150 - 175yds would love to see more 'all in racing' again not the usual classes. :) OK thats my blast from the past :eek:
the trouble with yd/lb all in racing ( no classes ) you would'nt have a dog over 25/26 lb entered,unless it was 2ft/lb :D

;) GOOD OLD DAYS. i was at measham in 1980 when MO EVIL won supreme, there where approx 130 dogs competing

;) The above dog was more than 25/26 John :D

When I started at Polbeth racing,,we had over 40 club dogs racing twice a week,,now its once a week and a lot less dogs.

Scotland has more dogs in the last few years,,,my dogs dont race now, but Robbies pups do and soon Gizmo's pups.

;) GOOD OLD DAYS. i was at measham in 1980 when MO EVIL won supreme, there where approx 130 dogs competing

i agree but it will never happen again ;) 1 since the bwra was formed not a bad average :lol: :thumbsup:

good as gold was 26lb ;)

a 30lb+ dog as no chance against 20lber at yd/lb, you might as well throw your entry fee away :)

i agree but it will never happen again ;) 1 since the bwra was formed not a bad average :lol: :thumbsup:

good as gold was 26lb ;)

a 30lb+ dog as no chance against 20lber at yd/lb, you might as well throw your entry fee away :)
it aint all about money its fun :)

Best heavy weight dog I every see races and he would give yard lb over 150 at stoke country music he beat the best rhinesize /little jim /mr ross / kerry dream I think he was once a lifetime dog and open were 100 plus very rare see solo like today .

good as gold was 26lb ;)

What about Maskouri, Dabell & Black Fox? Not supremes but open winners & against bitches.

The only reason bigger dogs don't win is because they aren't good enough.

good as gold was 26lb ;)

What about Maskouri, Dabell & Black Fox? Not supremes but open winners & against bitches.

maybe the lightweights wer'nt good enough then gorden ;) ;) ;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dogs are a lot faster nowadays than they were 25/30 year ago, it's just the smaller dogs have improved more than the heavyweights

:D :D

less clubs up here from years ago so hence less dogs

but from clubs up that are left,,,,,the last few years ,,,there is more,,,in kirkcaldy,,,,and from what i see kincardin club has more which runs nearly every type off dog,,,but a very busy club

ayr unsure as not been club racing there,,,but i would guess would be busyier over the last few years also

good as gold was 26lb ;)

arent good enough :rant: :- ( point)a 24 lb er 8.75 for 160= 30 lb would have to do 8.39 :sweating: or7.69 for 150 at 7s.the smaller dogs are faster.21 lbers breaking 9 for 160, h/w dont stand a chance, not even the best scratch dogs do these times .there are some very good h/ws about.

th36_12_6_1_.gifth36_12_6_1_.gif

good as gold was 26lb ;)

arent good enough :rant: :- ( point)a 24 lb er 8.75 for 160= 30 lb would have to do 8.39 :sweating: or7.69 for 150 at 7s.the smaller dogs are faster.21 lbers breaking 9 for 160, h/w dont stand a chance, not even the best scratch dogs do these times .there are some very good h/ws about.
th36_12_6_1_.gif

th36_12_6_1_.gif

the reason there arnt as many dogs now as years gone bye is there arnt as many folks in the sport :(

Have to say thats true, not as many racing these days but do not think racingw hippets ever leaves your blood as we miss it but hey i dotn wnat to be running up the track with my zimmer in tow :p

also costs a fortune to whippet race these days........

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say thats true, not as many racing these days but do not think racingw hippets ever leaves your blood as we miss it but hey i dotn wnat to be running up the track with my zimmer in tow :p also costs a fortune to whippet race these days........

it does cost abit,,,,even more when u have loads off dog,s

at our club meeting last year we opted to pay a one payment due to the criedit crunch,,e.t.c,,,,,,,we wont know till next yearling meeting if we a right,,,,but we pay £20 one off payment ,,,,trail,s are free and club racing is free plus we buy all our dog food from club which goe,s to club,,,,,,,( if at end off year we dont break even it would be put up accordingly ),,,,,but this year due to no work we are making a big saving even if u only have one dog,,,,,,as the £2 pound aweek for one dog ,, plus petrol soon add up ,,( at the momment club members only have to worry about is petrol,,,,and i have to addmitt,,as i run 3 dogs,,what a diffence this has made for me this year,as ive and evryone else has been struggling for work e.t.c :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back