The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

More/less Or The Same

since u have been racing are there more/less or the same amount of dogs racing now?

• more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less

• same

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
just looked back in some old whippet news the last time measham was run was 1981 there was 325 dogs there .run on two tracks next to one another.we was lucky enough to win sup with falconers gold the track was lined with people 3 deep to watch the finals this will never happen again what a shame. good times. jeff. :thumbsup: :D

totally agree jeff, them days are long gone. ;)

dogs and bitches on the same day ,running from track to track to watch a race. :D

just looked back in some old whippet news the last time measham was run was 1981 there was 325 dogs there .run on two tracks next to one another.we was lucky enough to win sup with falconers gold the track was lined with people 3 deep to watch the finals this will never happen again what a shame. good times. jeff. :thumbsup: :D

totally agree jeff, them days are long gone. ;)

dogs and bitches on the same day ,running from track to track to watch a race. :D
That was what you called a good atmosphere at the racing, you couldn't get near the winning line, and had to squeeze in if you wanted a good view - brill times, if you had a dog and a bitch in close races just added to the excitement :)

When mum and dad ran Shireoaks WRC way back when, club handicaps could have 50 or more dogs, in a club handicap can you imagine that now, if we have 16 dogs on the programme we think we are doing well for a club race, no wonder we hadn't introduced ABCD format then :eek:
Just a personal opinion i do think when racing was 'all in' not classes it was far more interesting as you never knew who you would draw, where as often these days you will know who you will be up against in the classes before you have even weighed in. Also these days you don't necessarily have all the best dogs in the final, as sometimes the 4 best dogs of the day may be in one certain class (i do know occasionally when all in the best four could possibly be drawn together too) !!! You could also draw an easy heat or a hard heat depending on luck of the draw, yd/lb racing with varying distances from 150 - 175yds would love to see more 'all in racing' again not the usual classes. :) OK thats my blast from the past :eek:
the trouble with yd/lb all in racing ( no classes ) you would'nt have a dog over 25/26 lb entered,unless it was 2ft/lb :D
started racing 30 years ago had 28 lb dogs would race any format because in them days we raced for fun other people would help newcomers with anything including transport to tracks had a dog that was racing one sat at maltby owner of wally stag came along & transported us to carlton lindrick where we won day even against his dog never happen nowadays

i wonder if in say 20 years from now we will be harking on about *the good old day* lol and how things will never b the same. ive been racing 15 years and its been the same since i started and i love it. :D

i wonder if in say 20 years from now we will be harking on about *the good old day* lol and how things will never b the same. ive been racing 15 years and its been the same since i started and i love it. :D
Think you've hit the nail on the head Carol :thumbsup: It's called 'Growing Older' :lol:

Let's hope so Carole, i've raced a little longer than you (shhhh... 46 years but did attend my first meeting at i think 2 weeks old) and still love it, have seen many changes, don't say all are for the better but my family and I are still here and hope i can be here to tell the tale in 20 years - but you might have to walk slow down the track for me to keep up by then ;)

Unless i'm as fit as my mum she still manages ok:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope so Carole, i've raced a little longer than you (shhhh... 46 years but did attend my first meeting at i think 2 weeks old) and still love it, have seen many changes, don't say all are for the better but my family and I are still here and hope i can be here to tell the tale in 20 years - but you might have to walk slow down the track for me to keep up by then ;) Unless i'm as fit as my mum she still manages ok:)
No worries Karen,i'm sure Bobby will be around to give you a helping hand up the track :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back