The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Most successful kennel name affix

Nicola

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Does anyone know which is the most successful kennel name affix to-date for the Whippet show world/ or the most famous whippet to-date? I've seen a lot of mentions of Nimrodels on this site.

I read an article in the Telegraph a while ago now, about the Laguna kennels, and the strong influence they had. I've got a book at home that lists champions of about 10 years ago, but I haven't really much knowledge of famous whippets in more recent years.

Which are the more recent most influential kennel names, as well as some of the older ones? Can anyone tell me?

Nicola ther are lots of really sucessfull kennels at the minute and i would not like to mention any names as i would be sure to leave someone out . If you are interested in the breed try this book:- The Whippet by J P Moran - Healy  available on amazon i believe. It tells of the breed past and present and overseas It also has details on the Nimrodel lines that you asked about.

OK I will mention some kennels. Hillsdown as in Phil Moran-Healy.

Nevedith Nev, Edith and Editha Newton. Dumbriton Patsy and Danny Gilmour.

Oakbark Dennis, Dorothy and Julie Meakin.

Nimrodel Mary Lowe.

Dondelayo was  Anne Knight

Samarkands was Bobby James

Glenbervie was Arthur Baddenach-Nicholson

Then theres Sue Baird whos dogs' names all start S B

Barnesmore is Margaret Martin and Lucinda Thompson who are based in N Ireland.

A lot of this depends upon how one classifies most succseful.

Nevedith has had many UK and international champions. Hillsdown breeding was behind Pencloe Dutch Gold who went BIS at Crufts AND behind Nutshell of Nevedith who was RBIS at Crufts.

Courthill has done a good bit of winning over the years.

Shalfleet is also a very succesful kennel with Greyhounds and whippets. BUT Nevedith also have Vizlas and Basset Fauve's. So there is no clear winner as mor detail is needed as to how the 'winner' should be determined.

Richard's favourites go back to Glenbervie and Dondelayo who a lot of exhibitors no longer know but their lines were extremely influential.

It all a matter of taste.

I will probably post some more names later as I remember them, its one of the failings of getting old(er). and being blonde :confused:

Thanks for the info. Keep posting any more names you remember Dawn. In the mean time I really must order the Moran-Healy book recommended, so i can do my homework.

How's everyone coping with the all the Whippet shows being continually cancelled due to Foot & Mouth? It must be really frustrating and tempers must be starting to fray! I watch the news every day hoping by some miracle the disease will peak, and decline, yet everyday there's more and more cases. My other half works in the Tourist industry in the Peaks, and they have closed down the business where he works temporarily, and he might even be laid off soon. One can't even start to imagine what the farmers must be going through, but is all this mass slaughter really necessary? Isn't there another way of dealing with this? Won't it be fantastic when we can all get back to normal again!

Nicola i have changed my mind an will tell you some of the kennels that i admire. Of course of of the greats mentioned before and then some:)

Marchpast, Cobyco, Courthill, & not forgeting Palmik (my young pups kennel) There are so many lovely examples in the ring its hard to chose!!

My particular favorite is Marchpast silent wings over salatini, a mixture of nevedith and hillsdown lines

Hi Claire & Dawn,

Thanks for your reply. I've definitely heard of Cobyco, in fact I noted that a number of the dogs and bitches shown at the recent S Yorkshire Whippet Club were of Cobyco descendency. I noticed the Oakbark and Nevedith affixes (to name a few)cropping up a lot as well at the same meet. I don't think I've seen any Marchpast ones, although I can't be sure (haven't been to any other shows for a few years). Are the Marchpast kennels based in Southern England? Just out of interest what colour do they tend to be?

The bitch judge at SYWC open show was Eva Yacoby of the Cobyco affix.

Cobyco Cavalier and Cobyco Candyman are both very successful sires. Aphrael's first litter which was also Candyman's first  produced the dogs

Aphrael Sceolan Maccummhail

Aphrael Cuchullain and the bitch

Aphrael Tuierran

The dogs we currently show are Cavalier sired

Aphrael Theres the Mystery and Aphrael Waltz of the New Moon. Also Eva is a respected judge who will shortly be passed for CC's. So all in all this was a good time to get out and see how she performed.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back