The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Mourne dog show last sunday 19th may 13

Margaret Mc Stay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Located in the South Eastern corner of Northern Ireland, Mourne is the land of stunning views , natural beauty, lots of sheep on the mountain side, and a patchwork of green fields . As in the beautiful song of our own Percy French “Where the Mountains of Mourne Sweep Down to the Sea” it was in the lap of these majestic mountains that the now famous Mourne Dog Show , Racing and Digging day took place last Sunday 19th May 13.

The venue for the Dog Show is superb, as it runs along side the beach between Newcastle and Kilkeel and is surrounded by the rolling blue sea no matter what angle you look out from. This was a truly Brilliant Dog Show, a great family day out, and a day to remember. I met up with so many old friends, and also made some new ones. I had a very relaxing conversation with the Great Game Fairs of Ireland Director Albert Titterington and his lovely wife Irene. It was nice to speak to Albert out of work, because when Shanes Castle comes on stream on the Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th June 13 , Albert will not have much time to talk to anybody. He will be too busy organising all the great events at this top Game Fair.

All the Showing, Digging, Strong dogs, Pulling and Racing ran like clockwork without a hitch. The weather kept dry all day, very cloudy with a little sunshine. It was great weather for the children at the show. There was plenty of room for them to run around and play in a safe environment. I am sure there were some tired little people on the night and some of the grown ups also. I know how I felt when I got home. Fell into chair and went fast asleep.

The Mourne Show is becoming a very popular venue, growing each year in attendance, and going from strength to strength with top class dogs of every breed.

The show got under way at approx 12.30 Noon.

Well done to the winners in the childrens handling class. It was nice to see so many children taking part in the showing. Keep up the good work. You are the show organisers and competition winners of tomorrow. You all have made your parents very proud of you. One little boy got a very pleasant surprise on his birthday. Owen Brennan was in the childrens handling class, when he was presented with a beautiful birthday cake. It was worth gold to see the smile and surprise on that little fellows face. Owen is the son of Graham Brennan, an avid show goer and brilliant huntsman. Graham and all his Dublin Huntsmen mates come down all the way from Dublin and Drogheda, to all our shows here in the North of Ireland. You are all so welcome. A very happy birthday Owen.

Here are the results of the Showing and digging as follows. ( Joanne, thanks for all the results )

Showing Results

Whippets

Whippet pup - Rea Wilson with Lola

Whippet bitch - David Best with Penny

Whippet dog - David Best with Harley

Pairs - Leah Gray with Bodi & Moley

Working dog or bitch - Charlene Rafferty with Viper

Veteran dog or bitch - John Mc Stay with Sliver

Overall Whippet Champion

Davy Best with Harley

Terriers

Terrier pup - Paul Heslip - Mollie

Russell dog - Peter Morgan with Mick

Lakeland dog or bitch - Paul Heslip with Ranger

Fell dog or bitch - John Heslip with Tyson

Border dog or bitch - Cait Thorpe with Tallulah

Working dog or bitch - Darren guy with Max

Crossbred dog or bitch - Sharon with Pip

Under 12inch dog or bitch - John Heslip with Buddy

Overall Champion Terrier

Paul Heslip with Ranger

Lurchers

Lurcher Pups - Graham Brennan with Spode

Smooth bitch under 23" - Fiona Devlin with Diva

Smooth dog under 23" - Stephen Dumigan with Dash

Rough dog or bitch under 23" - Brain Crothers with Nell

Smooth bitch over 23" - Shane Rooney with Roxy

Smooth dog over 23" - Sean Higgins with Strider

Rough dog or bitch over 23" - Graham Brennan with Gypsy

Lamping dog or bitch - Jed Darragh with Chief

Courseing dog or bitch - Fiona Devlin with Roly

Fox dog or bitch - Thomas John Anderson with Beast

Racing bred dog or bitch - Rose mc Coy with Diego

Lurcher Pairs - Aaron Niell with Jess & Brook

Overall Lurcher

Sean Higgins with Strider

Hounds

Hound pup - John Shaw with Kenda

Working dog or bitch - Stephen with Scrabble

Beagle dog or bitch - Sophie Annette with Copper

Foxhound dog or bitch - Paul Mc Keoun with Clover

Crossbred dog - Martin with Peanut

Crossbred bitch - Paul Higgins with Honey

Welshhound - Stephen Mc Nally Scrabble

Overall Champion Hound :

Stephen Mc Nally with Scrabble

Strong Dogs

Strongdog Pup- Brian Cunningham with Axle

Staff dog or bitch - Colin Tucker with Solo

English bull dog or bitch - Neil Cunningham with pudge

Working dog or bitch - Colin Tucker with Rio

Bulldog dog - Kieran Mc Cartney with Al Capone

Bulldog bitch - Ciara Griffin with Sheeba

Crossbred dog or bitch - Spud Dooley with Dio

Overall Champion Strong Dog :

Colin Tucker with Rio

*Overall Show Champion :

Sean Higgins with Strider

*Reserve Champion

Davy Best with Harley

Well done to both men and may you go on to win many more.

Digging

There was a real buss of excitement as usual around the field, when the Digging competition began. As soon as that whistle blew to start the digging competition, with shovels and pik axes at the ready, the digging competition commenced. The crowd played their part by cheering on their favourite teams. These guys, one and all showed no mercy to the ground beneath them. With the sweat running down their brows, they dug ferociously to the whistle blew once more signalling the end of the dig. The digs were measured very accurately by Kieran Young , assisted by Graham Meek.

The winners were announced as follows :

Winners - Paddy Gilmore & Shane Larkin

Reserve- Shane Gilmartin & Keith Breen

Irene and AJ Titterington presented the prizes to the winning digging team. A Big Congratulations to the winning team, and all the other teams who took part in the competition.

Racing Results :

Terrier - Liam Toner

Whippet - Charlene Rafferty with Lush

Over 23" Lurcher - Paul Higgins with Blue

Under 23" Lurcher - Ruairi Mc Cartan with star

Over 23" elite - Jed Donagh with Jess

Under 23" elite - Rose Mc Coy with Diego

Under 21" - Rose Mc Coy with Zola

Pup Race - Colin Mc Kay wIth Flick

And Finally, A big thank you to the judges John Humphries/Geoffrey Hutchinson/Trevor Coulter/Rodney Gibson/and Patrick Head. Your judging was impeccable and carried out with precision and fairness. With so many dogs in each class, a hard days work was carried out by all and a job well done. I think Tangos helpers Neill Cunningham/Patsy Mc Coy / Glen Doherty / and Graham Meek did not have to be rocked to sleep last night. Your helping hands was much appreciated. Our photographers Bluebell and the gentleman photographer, whose name I did not get were out in force with their cameras on the day and hopefully we will see some lovely photographs up shortly. What would we do without yous.

And Finally, Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank Tango and his family for a great days enjoyment, and a brilliant show day. I know you and your family have been working tirelessly behind the scenes for weeks now, just to make last Sunday a successful and enjoyable day out for everyone. Without your hard work and dedication none of this would happen. It is also nice to know that some of our worthy Charities in Northern Ireland will benefit from your input and hard graft. A great day and a great show, and I am already looking forward to next years show and your race day in November. Thanks Tango for everything.

Margaret Mc Stay

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back