The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Multi dog family

The Canine Cwtch

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone has more than 10 dog that live in their home?
Would like to chat, exchange ideas and experience.

We have had 7, but down to 6 now.

How do they get along? My lot get along ok, but need to feed them in crates, and finding the time to walk them all is a bit tricky... :)

I knew someone who had 10 dogs but they never got the time to spend with each of them....we always had 5 dogs and that was a good number for us ...all ate beside each other no problem...I suppose it depends on what size your dogs are :D

Most I ever had was 6, and it was a deal of commitment to ensure they each had some 1 to 1 time (but worth it). I think dogs would much rather be "only dogs" and do their dog meetings if any outside their home, then come back to being the star once back home again.

Ours will all walk out together on their leads but normally we load up all loose into the car and unload into our field and then walks are on the south downs. All dogs are loose and will walk with us if we request (which is most of the time), If we have a girl in season and we see another dog she is immediately called close to us and put on the lead.
Feeding times are not a problem, I feed the girls 2 at a time they are all waiting loose in the kitchen as a group, I call individual names 2 at a time and those 2 will come forward to eat, none of the others bother them (they all know that their turn will come).
Most of the time I call the same couples forward for their meals together but not always and always mix which couples in different order each day.
Years ago I used to feed all dogs at the same time with everyone waiting in a row, bowls put down and they were all told "OK" at the same time when they were aloud to eat.

I long for the time when we are back down to a 1 dog family, or maybe just one dog each, =2
A, 1 to1 relationship with a dog is the best :D

Croeso, just one of each here.
C8DCB06B-E6D0-46D3-A315-4E81BDD5BDC3.jpeg

AAAAH two toning stripy pets! Looking very cosy.

Reactions: RGC
I knew someone who had 10 dogs but they never got the time to spend with each of them....we always had 5 dogs and that was a good number for us ...all ate beside each other no problem...I suppose it depends on what size your dogs are :D
I know what you mean, finding the time to give them all the attention they need is hard, but I try my best to spend time with them all individually, I also think knowing your dog individual personality is important, some of them are more needy that others.

Ours will all walk out together on their leads but normally we load up all loose into the car and unload into our field and then walks are on the south downs. All dogs are loose and will walk with us if we request (which is most of the time), If we have a girl in season and we see another dog she is immediately called close to us and put on the lead.
Feeding times are not a problem, I feed the girls 2 at a time they are all waiting loose in the kitchen as a group, I call individual names 2 at a time and those 2 will come forward to eat, none of the others bother them (they all know that their turn will come).
Most of the time I call the same couples forward for their meals together but not always and always mix which couples in different order each day.
Years ago I used to feed all dogs at the same time with everyone waiting in a row, bowls put down and they were all told "OK" at the same time when they were aloud to eat.
You are a super star, I need that obedience in my lot. Don't get me wrong they all have brill recall, and do the usual sit, stay ect. When it comes to food time it is like trying to calm a riot, I have 4 that are very food aggressive, so have to feed them in a crate. The others would be quite happy to eat nicely together.

It must be very interesting having more than ten dogs. Can imagine its very stressful but also very fun :)

We always had 5 dogs plus a foster ...now down to 3 and couldn't have more due to vet Bill's etc ...also we have more time with 3 to give them individual attention

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back