The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My 7 week old puppy only biting me

SteThomson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone I have a 7 week old puppy called jaxx, he loves me and my.partner and our boy who's 6 years old.but he only bites and snarles at me, yes he nips them and me like.some pups do while training but he's bites and snarles at me but yet he's probably closest too me, is this be cause of male dominance, need help please- thanks In advance

Dominance theory is well and truly debunked now and he's really only a baby still. if he's 7 weeks you can't have had him very long at all.

Is he really snarling or is it just a play growl he's doing? Biting and mouthing is normal at this age. Pups play rough with their siblings and it helps them learn the bite inhibition skills they really need to master. If he was an only pup or you had him very very young then he may need some help to learn it from you.

I always had something handy I could pop into Harri's mouth for him to bite on rather than me.

He might bite you more because he feels more relaxed and uninhibited with you. Are you in the UK? I believe it's illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks old in the UK now.

The best approach is to ignore the biting, and walk away - you want him to realise that when his teeth touch flesh, the fun stops.

A 7 week puppy should be with its mother. It will be very scared hence 'snarling'. Dominance is not the reason for this behaviour but anxiety. Your puppy needs security, a quite place to be left alone and never being scolded or told off. Ignore behaviour if its not what you want but don't punish it in any way. But puppies experience 80% of the world with their mouths and teeth at this young age. So to help him with his fears you need to give plenty of chew toys and just let him have time to grow.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back