The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Dog And I Are Lost!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think we all love our whippets KC reg'd or not. :wub:

As trish 9 said, not every one can afford ped prices. :- " I would have loved a show whippet, but can't afford the prices of them. I would also love to show mine off, nearly every one I have come across has said he has potential, but he's not KC reg'd, and the fact that he will prob be bigger then the 'standard' :- " , stops me from doing this.

I understand that some people breed purely for showing or racing and that even though they are the same breed 'whippet' they seem to differ so much. (reading some threads on here relating to the subject) It is a shame, because IMO a whippet, show/race, ped or non ped are just the most beautiful, :wub: graceful o:) and loyal dogs I have owned.

Mongrels, cross breeds and unregistered dogs can all be lovely and very much loved by their owners, But when trying to find homes for them they do not have the same value, unless bred for a very good reason.

Cross breds when bred for a particular purpose, working, racing etc as in the lurchers and non-ped racers do have a value because they were bred for a particular reason and there will be people who will want to buy them for that reason. But cross bred dogs bred from on a whim or by accident do not have much value.

Although it is no guarantee of course, a pure bred registeered dog is more likely to be assured of a good home. You don't have to want to show etc to want a pure bred /registered dog but you are more likely to get a dog that is a good specimen. Poorly bred or dogs that are not good specimens,[i don't mean yours here Cathy], although they may be lovely pets should not be bred from. The reason some of them, which may be purebred but unregistered, are probably unregistered is because their breeder did not consider them to be good enough specimens to be bred from, and therefore sold them without papers. Perfectly good as pets but please don't breed from them.

Also if people cannot afford, or do not wish to pay a good price, then maybe they can't afford or shouldn't have a dog at all. Puppies purebred and registered, and cross bred and mongrels all cost a lot to rear. It is for the good of the breeds in general that only the best [in conformation or work or speed etc]should be bred from.

No one is doing any favours for the future generations of your beloved dogs by breeding inferior stock.

Pauline

Last edited by a moderator:
maggie217 said:
Mongrels, cross breeds and unregistered dogs can all be lovely and very much loved by their owners,  But when trying to find homes for them they do not have the same value, unless bred for a very good reason.   

Cross breds when bred for a particular purpose, working, racing etc as in the lurchers and non-ped racers do have a value because they were bred for a particular reason and there will be people who will want to buy them for that reason.  But cross bred dogs bred from on a whim or by accident do not have much value. 

Although it is no guarantee of course, a pure bred registeered dog is more likely to be assured of a good home.  You don't have to want to show etc to want a pure bred /registered dog but you are more likely to get a dog that is a good specimen.  Poorly bred or dogs that are not good specimens,[i don't mean yours here Cathy], although they may be lovely pets  should not be bred from.    The reason some of them, which may be purebred but unregistered, are probably unregistered is because their breeder did not consider them to be good enough specimens to be bred from, and therefore sold them without papers.  Perfectly good as pets but please don't breed from them.

Also if people cannot afford, or do not wish to pay a good price, then maybe they can't afford or shouldn't have a dog at all.  Puppies purebred and registered, and cross bred and  mongrels all cost a lot to rear.  It is for the good of the breeds in general that only the best [in conformation or work or speed etc]should be bred from.

No one is doing any favours for the future generations of your beloved dogs by breeding inferior stock.

Pauline

Thats fine, each to their own opinion. IMO I don't feel that cus someone can't afford upwards of £400 for a pet whippet (or any pets for that matter), doesn't mean they shouldn't own one. They, like me can buy an unregistered one for £200. (I once paid £400 for a pure bred, KC reg'd Collie who was fantastic, o:) I then paid £550 for a pure bred, KC reg'd lab who was one of the worst dogs I have ever owned :rant: ). If however, they can't afford the inevitable vets fees, and future rearing costs, then maybe no, they shouldn't own a pet. (it's called responsibility) :thumbsup:

What I think I'm trying to say, just cus their reg'd doesn't mean your going to get a gud un. (although future costs are still expensive) :eek: For my 1st whippet i decided on an unregistered one, (cus of lab fiasco) but dam & sire are both whippet. :wub:

In my particular case with Jack, he was actually bred for working, :sweating: as was the Dam. The Sire is reg'd and is also a worker. This is why he will be bigger then the standard (cus he was bred for purpose) and I can't show him. :angry:

I do understand where you are coming from when you say that only the best should be bred from, but from experience with my lab, he was bred from the best, but was the worst if you understand what I'm saying. :thumbsup: I think it is the puppy farms that are mainly to blame, :rant: my sister (very nieve) went on to buy her 2nd lab, golden, quoted as KC Reg'd £600, she is still waiting for the papers 2 yrs later!!!! :rant: :rant:

It's these people that are breeding on a whim, for money, that are ruining the breed.

I think it is the puppy farms that are mainly to blame, :rant: my sister (very nieve) went on to buy her 2nd lab, golden, quoted as KC Reg'd £600, she is still waiting for the papers 2 yrs later!!!! :rant: :rant:

It's these people that are breeding on a whim, for money, that are ruining the breed.

I appreciate what you say Sarah and I do agree about puppy farms. Yes, puppy farmers may well be breeding inferior stock even though registered but that is really because they are breeding purely for the pet market and financial gain.

Fortunately puppy farming does not apply too much to Whippets as, lovely as they are, they are not a 'fashionable' breed

Pauline

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back