The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My dog eats his bed

goldenbear2013

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
HI there,

Since having Bear we have been through numerous beds with him as it appears he likes to rip them open and pull all the stuffing out!

We have now resorted to blankets in his bed which have been working out fine for quite a while now but all of a sudden he has decided to start eating it! He has entered his teenage stage and one of these wonderful traits is chewing EVERYTHING! thankfully when we tell him no he does stop but as his blanket is in his bed we cannot watch him constantly when we are not around.

He went to the toilet this morning and needless to say some parts of his blanket appeared!

Now i know that if dogs eats their blankets it can result in serious problems so i need to hints or tips on which beds are good for dogs before i end up with a very poorly dog.

We bought a ruff n tuff bed and he chewed through that, other soft pillow like beds and now blankets so if anyone knows of a comfortable but seriously durable dog bed i'm all ears!

P.s: My dog is Labrador so his need to chew is quite intense!

Last edited by a moderator:
heeey I had exactly the same problem with my collie, peaches, i got one of those like heavy duty thick plastic beds and filled it up with thick blankets so she would still try and chew the edges of the bed but she wasn't ripping things apart so, also I dont know about you but peaches would do it out of being bored as well-soo i got some thick rubber toys that you can put treats in and i'd rub a little of peanut butter or normal butter in it for her-also i up'ed her walkies, hope this helps!

this is link of an example of one off google images, the better quality, thicker one you can get although might pricey at first is well worth it :) https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=579&q=thick+plastic+dog+beds&oq=thick+plastic+dog+beds&gs_l=img.3...2239.7289.0.7720.22.12.0.10.10.0.251.1800.1j9j2.12.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..8.14.1747.Rfc7m6LfFK8#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=VPvNtyGQNH-NoM%253A%3BiuREnh-t9dElBM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fthumbs4.ebaystatic.com%252Fd%252Fl225%252Fm%252FmBFccGomlCUWh48Wp6r9Oew.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fbhp%252Flarge-padded-dog-bed%3B224%3B179

Hi there,

thank you for your reply

i have bought Bear a plastic bed with a blanket in it and he loves it. he doesnt try to destroy it he just curls up in it.

its when he is on his own that the issue! we have him crate trained and thats where is goes when we are out.

he has kongs, stuffed treat toys, all filled with healthy snacks so he doesnt get fat to keep him amused. however once these are done he starts with the bed in his crate.

we have gone through 6 beds. I am now onto vet bed as someone recommended it and he has started on that too!

we are now having to leave him with no bed in his crate as he eats it! i dont want a very sick puppy cus of this and this is the sole reason why he has no bed in his crate now. i dont want to come home to find him collapsed due to a blockage.

i'm so very lost with this as i want him to have a bed in his crate but something he cannot chew through. and trust me when i say he will try to chew through anything!

suggestions........?

Best I can offer at this point is he will outgrow it. Have you tried the guarantee chew proof beds? I believe it's Orvis who does them. They are expensive but they will replace them if your dog is one of the few who chews it?

Chelsea did the same so we finally loaded her crate with charity shop blankets. She only chewed holes though. She didn't actually eat them. She outgrew it shortly after a year old.

Hi,

I reckon the dog is just bored.Labs have a low boredom threshold ans soooooo much energy.You should walk him for extra long periods of time especially if you are going to be out for long periods.Also you could try leaving a tv or radio on in the background he might not like the quiet..

Hope some of this helps..

thank you for the responses.

i hope to god he does grow out it! and if say yours did a 1 year old wendy them i'm 3 months and counting! lol ;)

and in terms of boredom i could be! he had a radio in the background when we are out but he doesnt spend all day in his merely half the morning before my partner gets up (he works nights) and lets him out.

he gets walked loads! his exercise level has had to be up'ed and he got a bit porky :>

thankfully he is now back to his proper weight but he does get run loads!

here's hoping he will grow out of it!

for now i'll see what happens with the vet bed!

thank you for your suggestions i really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

having a puppy is challenge! it makes me chuckle as there are so many things i have mastered with him and i'm so proud of him and how well trained he is and then other times, its like a different dog!

got to love adolescence! lol (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back